Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So recently I noticed one of my turn signal wires was hanging out so I went in and fixed it but when I was done my headlight wouldn’t turn on. When it did work it only turned on when I flipped the switch to high beams. I didn’t install it personally the previous owner did. Now I can get the light to come on when I put a test light to the fuse. Wondering if I just cut a wire going thru and can’t find it or what. Asking for a friend as electrical isn’t my strong suit. It’s not the ground. Maybe the wire to the switch?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
OK. My next guess is that the fault may be in the beam switch in the left controls.

If you open up the left clamshell and access the beam switch you will see the solder blobs on the side where the 3 wires are hooked in to the switch - blue/white {in from light switch} blue {high beam} and white {low beam}.

Bridge the solder blob from blue/white to white and see if this brings low beam on. If it does the switch needs cleaning and/or shimming to make contact. The beam switches wear, but can be fixed.

I would also continuity test the white wire from beam switch to headlight.

·
Super Moderator
14,560 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered) to your signature (see Forum Settings link in my signature) so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget.

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership. Your bike has had 40 years of Previous Owners who may or may not have done the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage. I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel because old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet. If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) start shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid).

As for your headlight problem, I don't have anything to add to what Phreak has already said at this time but I'll keep an eye on the thread in case the testing he suggested reveals something I might have further insight into.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So recently I noticed one of my turn signal wires was hanging out so I went in and fixed it but when I was done my headlight wouldn’t turn on. When it did work it only turned on when I flipped the switch to high beams. I didn’t install it personally the previous owner did. Now I can get the light to come on when I put a test light to the fuse. Wondering if I just cut a wire going thru and can’t find it or what. Asking for a friend as electrical isn’t my strong suit. It’s not the ground. Maybe the wire to the switch?
I saw this on the other forum. this might help

·
Super Moderator
14,560 Posts
Thanks for trying but this thread is 16 months old and the original poster was last seen on the forum 10 months ago. And it probably wouldn't have helped him anyway because the problem is somewhat different.

BTW: Welcome to the forum and please add your location to your profile and your bike's model and model year to your signature (see forum settings link in my signature). And if you haven't already done so, feel free to visit the CX Wiki (another link in my signature) and download the Factory Shop Manual for your model and any other information you find useful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts