Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike had a turn signal malfunction, which I amended. The rear signals stopped working and the front signals would simply shut off instead of blinking (right turn signal switch on: left turn signal on/right turn signal off. vice versa).
After checking my fuses and bulbs, I literally pressed together the dozen wire connectors located near the tail, and magically my turn signals began working again. I saw nothing out of the ordinary, albeit the dozen bullet connectors. Looked factory but anyone? I plan on uncovering them all and making sure they are not corroded.

Unfortunately, it returned mommentarily (and went away) about 4 days after the initial problem.
More significantly I've had a problem with my power supply very recently, and believe the two problems are related.

My battery seemed to be low on power, even though it's a 4 month old Duralast that had a full charge a week ago.
I checked this page out ( http://cxgl.wikispaces.com/Batteries ) //very helpful note about the 12.5V reading for a fully charged battery, and 13.5V for an idling/[email protected],500rpm bike battery working as it should (due to the charging system).

The positive power lead to the start (the 3 inch cable right off the positive terminal) was very hot, but that could have been from me cranking the starter. This was hot enough to partially melt the red rubber cover for the positive terminal, but again it usually happened when the starter was run a lot. When I first got the bike, it had trouble starting, and we smelt the rubber then!

-Checked out my battery today (tested) and it needs a charge.
My deduction is along with my turn signal problem, I may have a faulty ground or exposed lead. This could short out a number of things, and hopefully after I follow some basic principles, I'll rule out a charging system failure.

I have to add, I took my bike out for a ride in the rain a week ago, I could see it not liking the moisture but it's been a long time since.

Also, my horns stopped working correctly yesterday, now they are underpowered or something! :S

Any tips or advice would be great,

AND THANK YOU FOR READING!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turn signal relay, wired up an EP34. Works like new, but I must have reattempted that whole procedure a dozen times!
First relay was no good, then I read and followed this: cx500forum.com/forum/general-discussion/10253-cx650-turn-relay-mod.html
Ep34 and how to wire it up without trial and error.

Works well, would this have drawn the power from the bat?
Checked the ground lead from the bat, connected to a cylindrical object on the left rear of the crankcase, connection was clean and tight.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Already did! They were, looking squeaky clean but there was some light corrosion on the outside of the exposed copper wire at the edge of a connector. Used a brass brush and some electrical component cleaner/protector, and hooked it all back together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts