Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Hel...( )!!!

(

I go outside to the garage to dewinterize and wake up the old beast (GL 650),, and it absolutely refuses to be awakened from its winter hibernation and slumber. This after a late autuum full, detail and prestorage massage and pampering;--I was pissed...

After I few choice words and arguing with the old girl that this was not acceptable, (and especially), after being showed all this love.

Thereafter I set to work with the usual regime--fuel system- --carb outlet runs clean, good stabilized gas at the carb drain release,, tap the bowl to free any stuck fuel valve, good fresh , clean gas (again), new fuel line filter, cleaned tank and petcock filters, checked the gas vent- it was clear. WE ARGUED SOME MORE!

And now, having muttered some choice explicatives, ([email protected]#$%$&*!!!) I checked the electricals- good spark, all lights/accessories receiving full power from a charged (and recharged known good battery) I cleaned, gapped and reinstalled the spark plugs anyway-- there good!

She baulks soom more,- we argue... I know compression is good, for the old girls usually runs high, not low,--I check again-- its good!

What to do now???... (I,m really pis..( ) now and resolve never to dance with the old girl again, (I refrain from kicking her tires, as I shun domestic voilence)

Suddenly, renewed feelings of warmth for the ol' girl ensue, as I remember our past dates of engine rebuild. carb clean/tunes/painting, etc.,, and vacation rides to warm and sunny destinations. Perplexed, but reenvigorated, we reconcile. I examine the girl all over,- we renew are vows..!...

EUREKA!!! Its,,,??? An ELECTRICAL Gremlin! (shorted) wire at the rectifier/ Stator coupler ( wire coupler) (originally hidden from view by the plastic block coupler.

First Aid and repairs ensue, and VOILA!!!... The old girls again jumps to life! AND NOW WE RIDE!!!

HAVE A SAFE GREAT RIDIN SEASON GUYS, SAM

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Were the yellow wires shorted to each other or was there a short to ground?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Shorted to each other,--- A O.K now after repairs.

Can someone explain to me why a short between 2 of the 3 yellow wires would cause Sam's bike to not start? I don't doubt that was what caused the no start condition, I just do not know why. He says the battery was charged and it had good spark.

I know this will cause a CDI bike to not start, as will a short to ground in one of the 3 yellows. With the CDI stator the ignition windings are on the stator and there has been speculation that somehow the yellow wire was shorted to them, but if the same thing happens to a TI bike, it cannot be that.

The 3 yellows go into the reg/rectifier, and the reg/rectifier converts the AC to DC and powers the electrical system and charges the battery. I think it makes a bit more sense that a T.I. bike would not start than a CDI bike because the CDI bike's engine electrical system is independent from the rest of the bike's electrical system.

Electrical is not my forte, so if someone can explain this in fairly simple terms I would appreciate it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts