Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have an '80 CX500 & an '82 that i'm now building.

Have an OK knowledge of the '80 now but know the '82 is different.

Unfortunately the different parts are the parts that are missing.

As I understand it the '80 uses a CDI & the '82 uses a TI & spark units. Is that right?

Are the Regulator/rectifiers swappable between the two or are they different as well?

Gonna be searching for some of this on the forum & online as well but figured I'd go ahead and ask here at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
...As I understand it the '80 uses a CDI & the '82 uses a TI & spark units. Is that right?...

Correct.

...Are the Regulator/rectifiers swappable between the two or are they different as well?...

The regulator/rectifiers have different part numbers between the two years so they are not identical. An '82 R/R should work on an '80 bike with no problems.

Most likely an '80 R/R will work fine on an '82 bike, too. I'm hedging a little because the '82 stator puts out more power than an '80 stator, so the R/R will have to dissipate more power and may run hotter.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Like Dave says the RRs may have different numbers but they will most likely both work.They are just 12v 3 phase Regulator/Rectifiers and so long as their current rating is high enough they will work.

I think when I researched these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PODt...8242213QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

They could be used as a substitute if required.I seem to recall they can handle well above 30 amps.

Basically the RR has 5 wires.Three the same colour that attach to the Stator wires and then a positive and negative.

·
Super Moderator
24,024 Posts
My bike is an "81 {CDI model} running a Raymodule to power the CDI. It is fitted with the later model {TI} stator but retains it's original reg/rec unit.

Has been running like this for 8 or 9 months now and the reg/rec appears to cope O.K..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.