Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I've got some little problem with my electricity harness. I mounted it back provisionally, because I need to turn up the engine for some check.
There is the problem, everything came up together great, until I got to the front of the bike. I do not need to attach any light, so I connected only the electric parts that are necessary to turn up the engine: battery, voltage regulator, CDI unit, the two ignition coils, solenoid, diode box, and the ignition switch. Do I miss any fundamental electric part?
Because in the end I remained with 4 wires without anything to attach to them. I attached the instruments and the headlight and turn lights to exclude any option. The weird thing, is that all of them ends female, like if I am missing somthing.
Is it possible they are extras? like if in those years there was some optional tool you could have buy for the bike and they are there for extra attachments?

I'll add some photos indicating them.

Wire 1: this is the weirdest one, because as you can see I attached colored tape on any wire, to remeber how to connect them. This one has a red tape on, but I didn't find any other black wire with red tape on! All the other three, have no tape on. So it could be I already found them not connected to anything. But this one I can't explain...
CAVO 1.1.jpg
CAVO 1.2.jpg

Wire 2:
CAVO 2.1.jpg
CAVO 2.2.jpg

Wire 3:
CAVO 3.1.jpg

Wire 4:
CAVO 4.1.jpg
CAVO 4.2.jpg

Thank you to anyone could help me even just a bit

Gian

·
Registered
258 Posts
Depending on country and CX type the wiring can differ, but it is more or less normal to have a few unused connectors at the front end. 1 and 4 don't know, 2 is possibly for an extra 2nd horn (maybe 1 as well), 3 is for a 3 pin blinker relay so simply not used here for the 2-pin relay.

If everything works, don't worry .....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending on country and CX type the wiring can differ, but it is more or less normal to have a few unused connectors at the front end. 1 and 4 don't know, 2 is possibly for an extra 2nd horn (maybe 1 as well), 3 is for a 3 pin blinker relay so simply not used here for the 2-pin relay.

If everything works, don't worry .....
Still don't know if it works, I didn't want the bike to explode forgetting some wire or worst leaving some disconnected because i connected his pair to another one ahah

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Visit the CX Wiki (link in my signature) and download the colour wiring diagram for your model and year and see if that helps you figure it out. While you are there get the Honda Wire Color Codes chart too.

BTW: For the original wiring you shouldn't need to mark the wires because Honda uses a standard wire colour code so if you plug each wire together with the same colour and matching connector everything will work.

Re #3: The 2 terminal turn signal flasher appears to be correctly connected to the gray and black wires but the extra (ground) wire near it should be green. I am not sure what colour your wire #3 is but it is too light to be green (maybe light green or light blue? Does it have a stripe on the other side?)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Visit the CX Wiki (link in my signature) and download the colour wiring diagram for your model and year and see if that helps you figure it out. While you are there get the Honda Wire Color Codes chart too.

BTW: For the original wiring you shouldn't need to mark the wires because Honda uses a standard wire colour code so if you plug each wire together with the same colour and matching connector everything will work.

Re #3: The 2 terminal turn signal flasher appears to be correctly connected to the gray and black wires but the extra (ground) wire near it should be green. I am not sure what colour your wire #3 is but it is too light to be green (maybe light green or light blue? Does it have a stripe on the other side?)
I think you are referring to this:
https://motofaction.org/motorcycles...d-be-connected-honda-cx500-gl500-cx650-gl650/
Mine is a light blue, I dont remember any stripe on it (this night I will check). But anyway that is the only one that after some digging I discover is normal to be extra.
The problem is all the other ones...
I already checked the diagram, but having all the wires bendaged, it's hard to understand exactly where a wire comes from and where it goes. I've tried with these extra ones but it didn't help..

·
Super Moderator
14,763 Posts
Yes, that is the green wire that should be near your turn signal flasher.

Here is the information I suggested looking in the Wiki for:

As you can see, light blue wires are used only for the right turn signal and black is switched power. I can't see any place where a light blue wire and a black wire should be together. Can you take a pic that shows more of the wiring harness? It would be really good if you could spread the harness out on the floor so we can see where the wires you are asking about come from and also if you can clean the wires up a bit so their colours show up better and also say what their colours are.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, that is the green wire that should be near your turn signal flasher.

Here is the information I suggested looking in the Wiki for:

As you can see, light blue wires are used only for the right turn signal and black is switched power. I can't see any place where a light blue wire and a black wire should be together. Can you take a pic that shows more of the wiring harness? It would be really good if you could spread the harness out on the floor so we can see where the wires you are asking about come from and also if you can clean the wires up a bit so their colours show up better and also say what their colours are.
Ok Bob tomorrow as soon as I can I'll do that. Thanks a lot!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts