Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hola! I am wanting to do the electric fan conversion. Any links or quick advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
5,800 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one question

Why?
Hi nolimitz.
Thanks for the response.
The bike already had a broken OEM mechanical fan when I bought it 2 years ago.
I replaced it with a new one last year. IT just disintegrated and punctured a small hole in my radiator.
I was able to save the radiator I think.
However, I thought it would be wise to convert to electric in general so that I can cool the thing more efficiently when idling in the summer. Are you suggesting that I can get by without my fan, if everything else is working fine?

Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I admit that I didn't buy an expensive torque wrench to install the one I did last year.
I did follow the instructions closely and used my best guess to tighten the fan.
I cannot afford to have any more fan explosions. The radiator has already sustained two and barely survived.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,263 Posts
Even a cheap torque wrench can prevent you from over-torquing another fan.

Reactions: Molten Stenberg

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
Or if its ridden on open roads only.....no fan....😈😈.....
NOT recommended but viable....and many old liquid cooled 2 strokes had no fan.
Just need to keep the velocity up...

Edit: I owned a BmwK100RS for bout 20 years...and 200000km.....thermostat fan rarely came on.....when it did was 35degrees celcius plus(over100F)... & stuck in traffic..

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
If't was me..on the street.....id stay with the mechanical fan but fit a supplementary accurate temp gauge.....
The ol' Cx approach is unique... even the owners manual tells you to blip the throttle in traffic...
That document can serve as a defense in a "excessive reving" charge....😆

1 - 12 of 12 Posts