Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Would you possibly be interested in purchasing one of these

161 - 180 of 181 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,439 Posts
Your fan will never turn off.

The thermostat is 180 - 185. The thermo switch and thermostat will live in an endless pi$$ing match.

You need 195 or 200. The fan shouldn't run very often.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Use an 85 Deg C NO one first and see if you are happy.If not the next one would be a 90 Deg C but that's a bit high but still doable,

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-KSD30...hash=item3ce10f647e:m:mt6zaRjKQQsT1Jkl_iDjJoQ

They are very cheap so buy a set of each.They usually come in packs of fives or if you can find them packs of two.

A lot of the cooling comes from Air-cooling so the engines usually only get hot if stuck in traffic.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I plan on putting my thermo switch at the bottom of the radiator, using the drain plug with the electrode protruding into the radiator with direct contact with the coolant

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I plan on putting my thermo switch at the bottom of the radiator, using the drain plug with the electrode protruding into the radiator with direct contact with the coolant

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
85 Deg Celsius N/O should be fine.It's what I have used in the past :)

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I went with a Hayden Automotive 3653 Economy Adjustable Thermostatic Fan Control.https://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Autom...D=41a%2Blkd9BOL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch . , simple probe goes through the radiator fins anywhere, I went low with the probe and zip tied the controller under the gas tank near the coils..I set adjustment on it in a pot of water on the stove to about on 195*F, off 170*F and it only comes on when idling for over 15 minutes on a hot day, when moving it never came on.About $15-$20 most auto places also try Amazon, this relay(five with extras for spares). https://www.amazon.com/Pack-EPAuto-...&qid=1512887351&sr=1-6&keywords=12+auto+relay . . This fan.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H29LGXM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.I had to cut the cam lobe off.The fan and probe mounts easy.Costs about what a new fan blade costs .The fan is 7" ,draws about 35 watts even thought the photo says 80.It's a good time to replace hoses and the tach cable now too.Been there since 3/17 with no problems. 711F-R2t1CL._SX554_.jpg 61FAXqVeN3L._SX554_.jpg 51c7T562uJL._SY90_.jpg OHmG5w4.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,203 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
It seems to me that this is a much better solution than "gluing" a switch to the radiator. If that switch were to fail, it would be difficult to change. Thanks for your post, Steve. I think I'll steal your idea! lol
Dan

·
Registered
989 Posts
You can just glue another temp switch beside it or a cutoff wheel in a air cutoff tool or a dremel can carve away the old one if the first fails.
Trick solution is to have a machinist cut you one out of a delrin or machinable plastic for the switch to be glued into so it has contact with the coolant. Plastic that can handle the heat and the fluids and is pretty dimensionable stabile. Plastic so that you do not tighten it too tight and crack a seam on the tank end or cause a fracture of one of the crossover tubes.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
When I was testing the Temp sensors I glued them on with Epoxy Twin pack and they were on solid for the job but I had no trouble twisting them off to try the next one using a pair of Adjustable Pipe Pliers(Useful if you can't find a C-Spanner for adjusting the shockers).It did destroy the sensor but I had loads as they are cheap.

s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I used Araldite epoxy to glue the thermoswitch to the radiator bottom tank on my cafe bike . 4 years later it still works just fine .

Some of you guys are too hung up on reinventing the wheel.........

Reactions: Shep

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
I think it was marshallf3 who complicated this issue with switches, relays
and adjustable thngies. On my blue bike, Marshall's bike, I glued the sensor to the TOP
of the radiator and wired it through the ignition output wire. Ran the bike today.
temp gauge got just past half way to hot and the fan came on.
I miss Marshall, RIP my friend.

Reactions: bearman1

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Indeed, Marshall was a great contributor here. I know that his brain/database was nearly impervious to failure in most regards. at least in my eyes. One aspect I vividly cherished was his knowledge of chemicals and materials.

Okie, do you remember when it was that he passed on. I keep meaning to get that into a file with his other gems I have around. Thanks.

Miss ya old man, hats off.
Marshall Badge.jpg

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
June 29, 2011. he told me from his hospital bed," I'll be home in a few days".
I guess I did not know what "home" meant to him.

Reactions: ramprat06

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Thanks Okie. That just shows he was ahead of the times, so salient.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have one of Marshall's regulator kits I had bought from him. Also the instructions. I will scan the instructions and write down the component brands and ratings to allow others who want to opt to use his regulator to do so. It works great. Shep or Reg's green LED diode works well too, but Marshall's circuit does not vary with voltage input but stays rock steady unless the input voltage drops too low for the circuit to work.

David

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I would be very interested in that.
Dan

161 - 180 of 181 Posts