Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I just picked up an 81 gl500 silverwing. Thant has been sitting for a few years.

I installed new plugs and turned on key, there is a buz and both plug wires from coils are arcing constantly. are they supposed to have power and spark with just key on and without hitting the starter button?

I have the plug wires just sitting free and when i tuch the bike on mettle i get shocked. also when I pull the brack handle the buz gets dimmer. (Bad ground ?)

The guy I baught it from said that the bike was loosing power and wouldnt go over 45 mph, I thaught that might be the stator, but he also said he never changed plugs or looked into it he just parked it.

dint say anythng about plug-coils arcing.

any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Hi,

The first thing I would do is check to see what is in the bike for a main fuse, it sounds like you have a short somewhere and normally that should blow a fuse. The previous owner may have by-passed the fuse and you may run the risk of a fire or melting wires, etc.

See this page at DaveF's website,Check out the rest of his site too, see the links at the bottom of the main page for troubleshooting electrical issues. He is the GL guru around here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

The first thing I would do is check to see what is in the bike for a main fuse, it sounds like you have a short somewhere and normally that should blow a fuse. The previous owner may have by-passed the fuse and you may run the risk of a fire or melting wires, etc.

See this page at DaveF's website,Check out the rest of his site too, see the links at the bottom of the main page for troubleshooting electrical issues. He is the GL guru around here.

well i did some research and it seams as though the ignition is firing all the time, like the pickup coils ignition, is stuck on, something is telling both ignition boxes to send spark all the time, I realize now that when you turn the ignition on that you will have power to the coils, but I belive the pickups are supposed to open and close then, to tell each box when to send a pulse to the coils, but the are on and are sparking all the time and I mean they are full spark like dont touch. I did remove the crank bolt cover and turned crank, I thought maybe it was stuck tds, but it doesnt make a differance.

WHat would make the ignition boxes send a signal to fire all the time? coils? I thaught stator was when bike was running to give charge, juice, and the pickups would have power when key is on, then when the motor rotates the maginet open and closees pick ups, thats how my maxim worked , ecept it had a 1 power distribution box, and 2 pickup and the box would control both coils.

It sounds like I have a bad unit in the sytem, pickups, or boxes, its weird the both would be firing at the same time. Help lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi,

well i did some research and it seams as though the ignition is firing all the time, like the pickup coils ignition, is stuck on, something is telling both ignition boxes to send spark all the time, I realize now that when you turn the ignition on that you will have power to the coils, but I belive the pickups are supposed to open and close then, to tell each box when to send a pulse to the coils, but the are on and are sparking all the time and I mean they are full spark like dont touch. I did remove the crank bolt cover and turned crank, I thought maybe it was stuck tds, but it doesnt make a differance.

WHat would make the ignition boxes send a signal to fire all the time? coils? I thaught stator was when bike was running to give charge, juice, and the pickups would have power when key is on, then when the motor rotates the maginet open and closees pick ups, thats how my maxim worked , ecept it had a 1 power distribution box, and 2 pickup and the box would control both coils.

It sounds like I have a bad unit in the sytem, pickups, or boxes, its weird the both would be firing at the same time. Help lol

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
I've never heard of a malfunction quite like this one. Most likely something in common is telling the ignition modules to fire - the odds of both failing in the same manner are very remote.

Normally the ignition pickup coils provide the signals to cause the modules to fire. But with the engine not running there should be no signal from the pickup coils. Are there any indications of modifications that the previous owner may have made?

See this page to gain familiarity with the parts and for photos of an unmolested system. Do both ignitions continue to fire if the ignition pickup coil connector is unplugged?

On the GL's the stator is only used for charging the battery. It is independent of the ignition system.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I have the plug wires just sitting free

I missed this the first time I read your post,,so this is where the power is getting to the bikes frame.

It still would not hurt to check to see if there is a proper fuse installed.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
The main fuse should certainly be looked at. If it has developed a hairline crack then it may be arcing across the break. It's conceivable that the ignition modules may be firing as the power applied to them is repeatedly made and broken.

Also, please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks I will check the main fuse today, NO I dont see any changes to wiring.

and thats what I thaught, I figured that the puckups shouldnt be sending power withouth the bike running.

also no If I unpug the ignition moduals then it stops sparking.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
In addition to checking the main fuse, it would be appropriate to perform the Power and Ground Tests and Timing Pickup Coil Resistance Tests described in the writeup.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well I usually never try to fire up a bike that has been sitting without a new battery.

So today I got an new battery, Guess what, spark peoblem gone.

dont no how to explane it, but bad juice can make all kinds of problems.

I dint fire up the bike yet. I need to get good gas, slap on a fule filter that give her a try.

sure after that if it doesnt run it will be a carb clean.

also i still dont no if its going to have the loss of power problem that made the previouse owner park it. I will find out soon enough.

Thanks for your help sure i will be back on shortly.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
what a real odd problem.

hope its sorted.dont know what else to say.lol

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
This was a new one for me. Weird things can certainly happen if the battery voltage is wrong.

Thank you for sharing it with us. This is how the collective knowledge base grows and we all benefit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts