Honda CX 500 Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition - 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE - 2012 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Probably best to move to the turbo section. Started this thread as an ECU replacement, fuel and ignition, for an FI system. The turbo bikes are related to my GW, mine just doesn't have a boost function. Is there a moderator that can do this? There are a few adventurous people on the GW forums who have fitted a turbo unit to their GW.

There will still be requirement to have an IAC system. The throttle plates are virtually closed with the FI system because of the TPS and signal back to the ECU with the engine at idle. The CX500 and CX650 turbo FI system settings for throttle in the idle position can't be that much different from the GW. Have a look at the throttle plates, determine how closed these are based on the OEM requirement.

I have more research to do regarding the Speeduino barometric pressure issue.

O2 sensors are pretty much a requirement with new the new FI systems, and for tuning. WBO2 sensors are the preferred. These older FI systems without an O2 sensor was a design coup for Honda. Finding a spot to fit the O2 sensor is the issue.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,566 Posts
I've left it in the Technical section because it started out talking about a normally aspirated engine and I felt might be interesting to someone who is considering converting a normally aspirated CX bike to fuel injection.

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo, Suzuki GT750 fuel injected triple special, Triumph Tiger 1200, Beta 300RR
135 Posts
Thanks guys. I will move my continuing turbo thread to the turbo forum but will keep looking if Rednax has any speeduino questions.

·
Registered
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition - 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE - 2012 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
I've left it in the Technical section because it started out talking about a normally aspirated engine and I felt might be interesting to someone who is considering converting a normally aspirated CX bike to fuel injection.
Thank you. This is not only about doing an EFI Conversion, but can be used as just an ignition based project.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Thanks guys. I will move my continuing turbo thread to the turbo forum but will keep looking if Rednax has any speeduino questions.
Will be watching. Working on the barometric issue to get an understanding of what I have to do based on the Speeduino board I am using. The v0.4.4 Speeduino board has a MAP component, but no Baro component that I can see. There are Speeduino boards that have both MAP and Baro - the latest DropBear unit has this functionality, bit expensive at this point. has a few other bells and whistles that may be attractive.

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
Speeduino has a after start enrichment and a warm up enrichment curve so that removes the IAC/Choke need. It also has a cranking enrichment to aid starting.
No, you need something mechanical to feed more bypass air to the engine. So a IAC valve or a choke valve. Speeduino can control a stepper motor IAC valve

The bypass valve (if I understand the principle correctly) is to help with turbo stall/lag during throttle off and reduce the need for the resonance chamber.
No the resonance chamber is there to enlarge the volume of air before the manifold to reduce air pulsations. On the CX650 it was omitted probably because the positive effect was negligible.

Air is compressed by the Turbo and as the pressure rises also rises the Temperature. So there are two ways to calculated how much air molecules air entering the engine. One is to now the IAT ( Inlet air temperature ) and the other is to measure the pressure directly after the Turbo.
Speeduino has chosen to use an IAT sensor. Nothing wrong with that but temperature sensors are very slow. Somewhere in the region of 2 seconds or more. No problem on a lightly turbo charges suburban car. But on a high boost , fast accelerating engine to control the fuel flow 2 seconds behind the curve is in my opinion asking for problems.
That is why Honda used the pressure sensor after the Turbo, to measure the pressure instantly, calculated the temperature of the charge and use this together with the manifold pressure the correct needed fuel flow.

Same story for the wide band O2 , but I maybe wrong. Interesting thread : Closed loop lambda control in drag racing
It seams that the people who are using closed loop is to fine tune the mixture not to allow the O2 sensor complete control over the mixture

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Have tried the Speeduino in the 1200.

First issue was the fuel pump initial priming, then stop. Had the pin settings in Tuner Studio (TS) incorrect. Once I understand that the pin allocation was based on the Arduino 2560, not the Speeduino v0.4.4 board all one well.

Next issue is the understanding of the VR conditioner board and the pin placements for the crank and cam sensors. You need to connect the signal and ground wire from the crank/cam sensors to the VR conditioning board signal (VR+) and ground (VR-) respectively for each sensor. I had initially used a generic ground for the sensors, but this does not work.

Checked the Speeduino v0.4.4 board pin #13 - 5 VDC out to the sensors. Have the TPS and external PB (MAP) sensors connected to this pin for power. Checked the TPS power and all is well.

There is a TS setting in the Cranking Settings window where you set the priming pulse width.

Hydro locked the engine while turning the system on/off with th4e Speeduino connected. First time I had had this happen. Thought about it and there is a function/setting in the Speeduino manual under cranking settings called "Priming Pulsewidth" where Speeduino will fire all injectors for a specified period of time when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. This is intended to clear the air out of the system and should be kept as short and possible to prevent engine flooding. There is no specific TS setting to match; however, the TS setting "injector priming delay" in cranking settings is the equivalent. This should be set to "0" unless there is some need for it.

Father's timing light came in the mail today. Will be checking the timing and dwell with it to use as a benchmark for the Speeduino timing.

The spark igniters are a 4 wire spark igniter. The test procedure in the Honda Supplement is to check each wire to ground and there should be battery voltage on each wire. Had the TS setting at GOING LOW and there was battery voltage on one wire only. Switched the setting to GOING HIGH and had battery voltage on the three wires. The forth is a ground. Will connect a small scope to the spark igniter for additional information.

There is no internal barometric pressure sensor. The on board MAP sensor is connected to the circuit that would be used for this, but if this sensor is disconnected and used for the barometric sensor, there will be no MAP sensor.

To work around this, it is recommended to use the on board MAP sensor to do the MAP job. Second is to pick up an IDC pin that is connected to the proto area such as IDC pin #18 that is connected to proto area pin #51. Next step would be to solder a 470 ohm resistor between proto area pin #51 to proto area pin #A15. Looked at the underside of the v0.4.4 board and there is a trace line from proto area pin #A15 to the MEGA. Thinking this indicates that proto area pin #A15 is connected to the MEGA through this trace. Once this is done, programming the settings is done in TS, no programming necessary.

Will be using a proven MAP sensor for the barometric sensor., a Denso 079800, one of the sensors in the drop down lists that has been proven to work well. Will be checking it for signal output to compare it to the OEM PB sensors and the Suzuki IAP sensor. May be a good alternative should the OEM PB sensor(s) fail.

14point7 WBO2 sensor came in. Have located a place on the right side exhaust header for install. Not a lot of room available.

·
Registered
CX500 Turbo, Suzuki GT750 fuel injected triple special, Triumph Tiger 1200, Beta 300RR
135 Posts
Looks like you r are getting there. I’m interested to see how the live barometric sensor input works. I want to try to use that instead of the one shot MAP sensor method normally used.

Is your spark feed a direct link to the coils or is there a direct feed via a FET igniter? I had to use a Bosch one on my 2 stroke build

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
The spark igniter is sold state. Here's the schematic of the CFI system:
Schematic Font Parallel Engineering Plan

A fellow on NGW forum used these spark igniters on his GL1100 EFI conversion - 4 wires. Worked well. The GL1000/1100 use a five wire spark igniter that does not work with his EFI conversion.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts