Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition - 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE - 2012 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have started doing research into an ECU upgrade/replacement for the ECU on my '85 LTD FI model. I have embarked on this because nothing lasts forever, and if the ECU fails, there are not a lot of used ECUs available, nor identified aftermarket ECUs. Having mentioned this, my research to date indicates that a Megasquirt unit may be the best option. There are several Goldwing owners who have embarked on this, but only a few have brought their projects to fruition. Since I am starting with a fuel injected bike with an ECU, I am looking for a "plug and play" unit so to speak. I have been perusing the various forum threads to gain insight and a better understanding of what I am looking at. The Goldwing CFI system is quite similar to the CX turbo FI system, hence my posting on this forum.

I have been reading all the literature I can find on the Goldwing FI system, as well as going over the wiring diagrams. I want to keep the existing functionality, travel computer - LCD dash, and use existing wiring.

I have been doing a thread on NGW and Classic GW forums. The following is a few posts I have done so far in my quest. There is still a lot to be done before I do any change.

Have been reading the literature for the Megasquirt units, browsing the web for info on trigger wheels and exactly how these work and correlate the cam/crank signals.

The bones of the EFI system are there with the exception of the O2 sensor, and this can be worked around if needed. The injectors are fine and can be used with the OEM resistor pack, or the pulse width modulation (PWM) that Megasquirt is programmed with. Using high impedance injectors would probably be a good change. The TPS sensor can be reused, as can the spark igniters; however, the spark igniters can be changed for the 7/8 pin GM HEI igniters that apparently work well with the Megasquirt. COP units would also be beneficial, but there is a space limitation that I have to assess. The CFI covers don't allow for a lot of flexibility for injector orientation. Using COP units would eventually have me look at sequential injector/ignition.

The IAC circuit is presently a passive system, but most of the literature is for an active system for fast idle control. Going to an active system appears to work well with Megasquirt, and if so, the unit would probably fit where the OEM IAC valve placement is.

Matt at DIYAutoTune has mentioned that the 8 tooth crank trigger wheel can be used, as can one of the sensors on the cam. Would only have to disconnect one of the cam sensors (Gr/Gl) from the system. This would give me an 8/1 trigger wheel system.

The MAP sensor can be a single unit as installed, and the water/air sensors can be reused.

With real estate being at a premium under the shelter and such, would use the existing fuse panel relays.

The Megasquirt units support an ITB mode that uses the MAP sensor up to approximately 3000 RPM and then goes to a TPS-RPM mix much like what is presently being used by the OEM. This is good news as the system works well in this configuration/mode.

With all this want to keep the dash working and the travel computer.

The other interesting aspect of the Megasquirt unit(s) is the CAN Comms. Will be looking into this, but it is a secondary consideration.

The wiring would have to be looked at, but it should be a beneficial exercise. Think that Honda used a lot of wire that might not have been needed. A rework of what I have done could probably result in fewer wire runs as well. If a new wiring loom for the Megasquirt is used, I would make it so that it would be compatible with the OEM system just in case a reversal is needed. Need to find a good electrical wiring program that is easy for us older gents to use.

One issue is with the original grounding system. Lots of wires going forward mainly because the main ground points are all located at the front. Using selective ground buses would eliminate a lot of wire.

Received the book "Performance Fuel Injection Systems" by Matt Cramer and Jerry Hoffman. Have read through it as well as my other book "Motorcycle Fuel Injection Handbook" by Adam Wade. Between the two a lot of questions have been answered, but have some additional questions as well. In addition to these books, have been perusing the Megasquirt manuals and Megasquirt documentation.

I have put together spreadsheets for OEM ECU pin designations, and correlating these to the travel computer, and LCD dash. Doing this so that I can determine how the replacement may affect the overall system. Have to look into the "User Defined" pins of the Megasquirt to understand how these work.

The TPS, crank (Ns), and cam (Gr/Gl) sensors as fitted can all be used. Megasquirt documentation indicates that the two cam sensor arrangement is not supported by the Megasquirt unit - this is corroborated by Matt Cramer at DIYAutoTune as well (email correspondence), but that one can be used.

The crank sensor uses an 8 tooth wheel that can also be used, Matt Cramer has indicated that a 12 tooth would be better, but finding a 12 tooth wheel that would fit/work may be a quest onto itself.

The crank sensor is interesting as well. There are two mounting positions exactly 180 degrees apart. Either position can be used on the '85 1200 FI system with no change to any other parameter. I can vouch for this because the OEM sensor failed sometime before I bought the bike. It is the subject of a thread on Steve Saunders forum where the fix was to install a 1500 sensor in its place. The PO installed the 1500 sensor in the upper position by modifying the mounting screw bosses (removed some of the aluminum boss) so that the 1500 sensor was installed to coincide with the 8 tooth trigger wheel. I have since removed the 1500 sensor, and mounted a set of PG sensors from an '85 Aspencade. This PG sensor install has a sensor mounted in the upper and lower position (Honda used the same block for both models), but have only one of the sensors hooked into the CFI system. The second sensor is there in case the one being used fails, then its just a wiring change under the shelter, and I don't have to go into the timing belt area.

I will be doing an investigating into the engine timing to determine the position of #1 TDC and how it relates to the crank/cam position sensors. Should be able to determine the various other piston TDC positions as well.

The engine firing is 1-3-2-4. As is known the waste spark is for cylinders 1-2, and 3-4. The injectors are a bank to bank firing pattern for 1-3 and 2-4. My thoughts on this are to continue initially with the wasted spark system, but change the injectors to sequential firing. This will assist in reducing what goes out the back end.

I have been contemplating the OEM spark igniters, specifically how these work. The OEM spark igniters for the '85 LTD FI system are 4 wire units. There are three 12 volt wires and a ground. I have come to the realization that these spark igniters are a very specialized relay, much like a basic automotive relay. My understanding is that the ECU grounds the 12 VDC supplied battery voltage to ground and in doing so the spark igniter internal "coil" switch is closed, allowing power to flow through the primary winding of the coil(s). At some programmed time, the ground for the 12 VDC supplied battery voltage to the spark igniter is stopped/removed, and the internal "coil" switch is opened, sending the amassed power out through the secondary coil to the plugs.

The CFI system does not have an O2 sensor, and I have not fully looked into whether this is a show stopper at this point, but reading the Megasquirt literature indicates that this is not. The primary benefit from an O2 sensor, as I understand it, is for tuning at idle so will investigate this for install.

The '85 LTD FI system uses an ITB mode for operation. The initial mode is speed density because a MAP sensors (PBR/PBL) are used up to about 3000 RPM after which the mode reverts to an n-alpha mode (n for engine speed, and alpha for throttle angle). If this is not quite correct, then Honda has one intricate ECU in that it uses all the inputs and chooses the appropriate part of the 3D control maps to operate the engine based on an n-alpha mode. Be an interesting hack to look at the 3D control maps for the '85 LTD and '86 SE-i for someone in retirement.

A Readers Digest version of this can be found at: https://powersports.honda.com/Experienc ... c0812182ba

The OEM ECU has an integrated self diagnostic system that, if there is a fault in the electrical portion of the CFI system, the "Fuel System" dash fault light will come on and an error code or codes will be displayed on the ECU. I surmise this is the forerunner of the OBD scanners that are in use today. I have not determined how this will be integrated into a new ECU such as the Megasquirt.

I think I have my thoughts on this issue focused in the right direction. Still a lot to research to compile, and will be perusing the various threads for guidance. The Megasquirt documentation is starting to be a little less daunting as well.

Find the Megasquirt literature extremely detailed, and at this stage not necessary. The Megasquirt ECU manuals are good, as are the threads I've been reading and reading again.

I have been watching some YouTube videos regarding the Megasquirt setup, using the ITB mode and others. The fellow who is doing these, Andy Whittle, narrates and explains the video concept at my level of understanding.

Looked at some of the PDF files I have and have found the pin placement for the '85/'86 LTD/SE-i: View attachment Travel Computer-ECU Pin Schematic.pdf

Since I am looking for an upgrade replacement ECU, this will be extremely beneficial. The schematics detail the connections and if newer components are integrated, should be able to use the existing wiring. Using the OEM wiring harness to connect a new/newer ECU unit should keep all other OEM components working.

I have been looking for a ready made Megasquirt unit, and fairly certain that I will be settling on the MS3 unit. It comes with an integral MAP sensor that would replace the dual OEM CFI setup. This unit is very flexible with regards to injector/coil firing. A lesser unit would be more work because the OEM CFI system does not leave you with an option of controlling just the fuel, you must do fuel and timing as a minimum.

Info on the 8 tooth crank trigger wheel, and the cam trigger wheel. From Clymers: This 8 tooth trigger wheel sends out 8 pulses per revolution. The ECU then triggers the fuel injector at the 4th pulse after a TDC pulse is received from the camshaft angle sensors. This information is used to control the ignition timing and fuel injection volume accurately. Good explanation of the correlation between the crank and cam sensors, and is a feel good indication that the 8/1 trigger wheel setup will work with the Megasquirt unit. The Megasquirt unit apparently only requires one cam shaft trigger, not the dual OEM setup.

The OEM fuel pressure requirements is for a static pressure (not operating) of 34 to 38 PSI. Operating pressure of 28 to 34 PSI. Had the injectors cleaned and flow tested at 40 PSI. Injectors flow rate was 65 ml each after cleaning. Most literature that I have read indicates that a constant fuel pressure of 40 PSI should be used, but the OEM system does not require this.

The '85/'86 FI bikes have a fast idle circuit, but the IAC system does not control it. The IAC system is a passive system that relies on manifold vacuum to activate the reed valves to draw additional air into the intake during cold start and at other times such as when the throttle plates are closed on deceleration. I have not found any information on how the OEM CFI fast idle works, but surmise that the ECU uses air/coolant temp to advance the timing at start, and uses coolant temperature to control this timing advance. I mention this because my '85 has a fast idle and as the engine gets warmer the idle will start to decrease until the engine is at operating temp and the idle is at the recommended setting. It is recommended to use a stepper motor with the Megasquirt that holds the throttle slightly open on cold start and closes as the engine comes up to operating temp.

I am also looking at COP units to replace the existing coil, plug wire install. This has been done successfully on an 1100 that was a complete EFI install from the get go.

Thought I'd share this with you. Lots of work to do. Did the heads on the bike this past winter. Found the reason for all the blue smoke on cold starts, #2 cylinder - oil leaks past rings - pic is after being on side stand overnight. Noticed that the cylinder walls were highly glazed when doing the heads, so a cylinder hone and new rings will be done this fall/winter coming. Close-up Water Macro photography
Bought a small borescope that fits through the injector and plug holes to get pics like this.

There is a lot more information, but I think I've hit on the essence of what I am trying to accomplish.

Will try to keep thread updated and in a more coherent fashion. Suffice it to say that the better the preparation phase the better the chance for success.

The nice issue with these FI bikes is that these were the forerunners of the Honda PGM-FI system that is pretty much the same even today. It was quite remarkable what Honda stuffed into such a small space and made it work.

Thanks for reading if you get this far. Cheers

Reactions: OCR

·
Registered
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition - 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE - 2012 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Have been looking into the differences between the MS units, as well as perusing the various threads to determine what will be the most economical way ahead, and which on could be tweaked for specific upgrades. The one upgrade I think would be beneficial would be coil-on-plug (COP) in place of the wasted spark system. This has been done on an 1100 with a Microsquirt unit. The bank-to-bank injection will be kept. I have also been perusing the various web sites and videos regarding this and the Microsquirt appears to be quite a powerhouse considering cost and features. It definitely has several advantages over the OEM ECU, but lets remember that the engineering and what Honda did back then is remarkable.

I have also read that the OEM injectors are oversize for the application. This is an interesting detail because the MS units allow you to tune the fuel injection and timing for better engine operation, and from what I can gather, may compensate for this component.

The one question I have and have not been able to find the answer to is how the injector flow rate in cc (ml) per minute translates into what is required. The flow rate of the injectors for my bike is 65 ml/min (cc/min) at 40 PSI and this converts into approximately 6.2 lbs/hr. So with four of these, the flow rate in lbs/hr is 24.8 at 40 PSI. Don't know if I am correct, but it's the best I can come up with. Still searching for more info on this.

Thought I'd give a quick update.

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mike - Have seen and read about it in some posts on the various forums. Will do a good read into this now. Thanks.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought an update would be in order since “reclinedrelic” pointed me in the direction of the Speeduino Project. I have been researching both Megasquirt units and the Speedrino Project to determine which would be the best ECU upgrade/replacement unit for my '85 LTD FI bike.

Aftermarket ECUs for this requirement have a disclaimer in that these are not direct replacements, but more of a learning tool for those who want to learn about EFI and what is entailed. Great disclaimer, but many are doing this mostly in the automotive field.

In doing this I have broadened my knowledge base of the CFI system as well. It is quite a good system considering it was stuffed into such a small space. I did find information on the “FUEL SYSTEM” dash indicator that detailed that it was an indicator that something was not correct with the electrical side of the CFI system. It has nothing to do with the fuel system. It is check engine light only.

The CFI system, travel computer (ETC) and the LCD dash are interconnected.

The CFI ECU and the LCD dash only have the “FUEL SYSTEM” indicator light in common. The ECU self-diagnostic program checks for wiring faults in the CFI system and if there is one, the LCD dash indicator light comes on. The ECU will display an error code as well.

The ECU is connected to the ETC (travel computer) in that when the ECU pulses injectors 1/3, this pulse is also felt by the ETC. Without any internal ETC information, I have surmised that this signal is used by the ETC for a tach input. It is used for various aspects of the ETC and dash indications.

I was pondering the relationship of the CFI system, ETC and LCD dash, and have come to the conclusion that the '85/'86 GW FI models are quite similar in hardware architecture to modern day vehicles. My 2004 Jeep liberty had 2 black boxes controlling the vehicle, one for the engine/power train operation, and the other for the ancillary items such as dash, radio and such. The error code indicator can be likened to the modern day OBD units. Quite an ingenious system. Of course the start of this was the CX500-650 turbo models in '82/'83. Considering the complexity and expense, it is no wonder Honda went back to carb systems.

I have had to formulate a plan for the project. After viewing a few videos where the number 1 item was to read/learn everything about your existing system, and the unit that you are leaning towards — hardware and software — That is just about all I have been doing. There is a lot of prep work for this project; however, the better the preparation, the better chance for success at the onset.

One of the items I've had to learn about are trigger wheels and how these are used. The '85 GW has an 8 tooth crank (Ns) trigger wheel for engine timing, and two cam (Gr/Gl) sensors for injector timing. The interesting thing about the cam sensors is that if one fails the ECU switches to the other sensor for normal engine operation. This is the same for the MAP (PBR/PBL) sensors, one fails the other picks up the slack, but in the case of both MAP sensors failing, the ECU will go into a get home mode. Injectors are pretty much the same; however, if both components fail, engine is dead in the water.

If the TPS fails, the ECU goes into a limp home mode. If the crank (Ns) sensor fails, engine stops.

The fast idle on this bike is controlled by the engine coolant temperature. The IAC system is a passive air system using reed valves to draw air through the system to provide additional air on start and when the throttle is suddenly closed. If this was not the case, the engine would act as an engine brake and deceleration would be quite dramatic.

The self-diagnostic circuit is one I want to duplicate regardless of the replacement/upgrade ECU.

I have carefully compared the Megasquirt against the Speedrino, and have decided to go with the Speedrino. It is still being developed, but it is mature enough for my requirement(s). It is open source software, and the units are readily available. The Speedrino uses Tuner Studio to tune the unit when assembled. I have purchased a licence for Tuner Studio and Mega Logger. Both will be beneficial.

The Speeduino system will work with the passive OEM IAC system. It will also work without an O2 sensor installed; however, it has been mentioned that without one tuning may not be as good. Tell that to the Honda engineers/designers of these FI bikes. I will be looking into installing one when I have the engine out in the fall. It will probably be a wide band model.

I will be putting together a bench model and testing it prior to install. This is primarily to ensure I have the engine and injector timings done properly.

Over the next few weeks I will be instrumenting my '85 to determine the signals that are generated. The MAP sensors are already done.

I have allowed myself a 2 year window for this project, have to have fun as well.

The cost of the Speeduino system is a lot less than the Microsquirt/Megasquirt units.

Will be doing engine work this coming fall/winter. Need to hone the cylinders to remove the glaze that has built up over the last 34 years, and then new rings. Want to have a good working platform before I implement the ECU upgrade/replacement.

Since I'm only doing a replacement/upgrade of the ECU, this project should be successful. I'm not looking for performance enhancement, but increased reliability. In this I mean that a CFI system that you can look into is another tool to use to diagnose what is happening.

Will update when more info available.

Cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just watched a video where the fellow switched from a Megasquirt unit to the Speeduino. Very good information, took notes. At the end of the video, he mentioned that he used a crank sensor with the Megasquirt, but installed a trigger wheel in the old distributor for the Speeduino. He then went and operated the engine on the Megasquirt, but at the same time had the Speeduino running in a bench test mode for lack of better vernacular, and tuned the Speeduino to match the car operation. Once he had the Speeduino set up, he did the swap.

I would expect that he used a bench model to simulate the coils and injectors, and would piggy back with the various other sensors.

The reason I mention this is that I have two crank sensors installed, exactly 180 degrees apart, use one and the second is a spare just in case so I don't have to remove the front end to replace a sensor. Since the engine will operate the same with either sensor, BTDT, I could use the second sensor as a signal to the Speeduino. There is also two cam sensors, only need to use one, and the same scenario, leave one hooked to the OEM ECU for engine operation, use the second for an input into the Speeduino for test/trial. Use the bench test model to imitate coil/injector loads.

This has merit, should not impact on the engine operation and aid in the transfer to the new ECU. Once the Speeduino is set up, use the same sensors as per the trial.

Interesting concept and would probably work with the Megasquirt as well.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not much to report since my last update other than have been reading, and re-reading threads/literature, as well as watching YouTube videos both MS and Speeduino.

Have been looking into injector latency. Found this web site from my browsing: https://injector-rehab.com/shop/lag.html Looks like a starting point for the injector lag time is approximately 0.98

Have viewed a thread on the NGW forum regarding a conversion to cop units with a carb to EFI conversion by socrace.
Good mod, and I agree with everything he did: https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50431&hilit=ford+coil+on+plug+conversion The Speeduino can accommodate sequential ignition so this mod will be beneficial as I go forward. My only question is about the initial install with the existing OEM system wiring. I ask because I'm quite rusty with electronic circuitry.

The OEM system being waste spark has 3 ohm coils, no ballast resistor. The COP units I have looked at have a primary resistance of 0.660 ohms, secondary 6.1K ohms. Doing the parallel resistor calculation of 1/0.66 + 1/0.66 = 3.0 ohms. In my mind this would infer that I should be able to install these COP units in parallel and carry on as per normal as the resultant value overall is the same as the OEM Install.

Like how the cop install is. One issue I see is the fuel pressure test point on the right fuel rail is not available with the cop setup. Not a big issue, but would have to be considered.

Chime in, comments greatly appreciated. I'm with socrace in that some of these mods may not provide a noticeable difference such as the 12 VDC supply to the coils from the accessory fuse block that I did, but I know it has been done.

I am learning how to use a small drawing system - TinyCAD. Hope to get comfortable enough with it to do schematics.

Cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had a comment on another thread about my resistor calcs. Didn't read the entire article and have not had to do this type of math since the early '80s. Resistance should be 0.330 ohms - equal resistors in parallel. The equivalent resistance will always be less than the smallest resistor. My bad. Cheers

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
In the past there have been threads on converting CX/GLs to EFI and computer controlled ignition, so one more doesn't seem out of place. Even though the target bike is not a CX/GL some of the OP's findings may be applicable. https://cx500forum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3117705

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can understand this being in the turbo forum, but what does it have to do with CDI/TI CX or GL bikes? May want to take it to the gold wing forums? Sorry just being a PIA
In the past there have been threads on converting CX/GLs to EFI and computer controlled ignition, so one more doesn't seem out of place. Even though the target bike is not a CX/GL some of the OP's findings may be applicable. https://cx500forum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=3117705
Thanks for the comments. I understand where nolimitz is coming from as well as the comment from reclinedrelic. Did some homework and since most information regarding EFI and turbos is found and rooted in the cager industry, I browsed a few sites regarding turbos in the '80s.

Most, if not all turbo cars of the '80s were fuel injected. This makes sense considering the control system needed to operate a boosted engine. I submit that without EFI, the CX500 and CX650 turbo motorcycles would not have been developed even for the two year production period. I have an EFI handbook, the Motorcycle Fuel Injection Handbook by Adam Wade, that has a good write up about the CX500-650 turbo EFI; however, he mentions that after these bikes, FI "would not appear in another Honda-badged motorcycle until 1998". He totally missed the CFI system on the '85-'86 Goldwing.

The EFI system on these motorcycles is the forerunner to the PGM-FI that Honda still uses today.

The CX500-650 turbo and '85-'86 GW FI bikes had sequential fuel injection, the reason for two cam sensors. This achieved a smooth idle whereas the newer systems are configured quite differently.
The modern EFI systems use a single cam and crank position sensors to do sequential spark and fuel injection, unlike our bikes. Turbo boost is also taken care of by the ECU, but quite differently than on the '82-'83 Honda turbo bikes.

Modern day systems use an idle air control motor to achieve what Honda achieved with a passive reed actuated system. The Speeduino ECU I will be using can work with the Honda system.

Have to research sensor requirements. Need square wave signals for the newer ECUs. The VR sensors used on our bikes require a sensor signal conditioner to achieve this with the new ECUs, the Honda ECU must have it built in. The other issue with sensors is whether the older ones will interface or not. It's an interesting dilemma.

Air and coolant sensor data required to setup the ECU parameters is not readily available. You can test these sensors and map out a resistance chart to use, or replace with an acceptable modern sensor.

The spark igniters on my GW are apparently compatible, but if not will have to change. The GM HEI spark igniters, 7/8 pin units, are units of choice, but wiring would need to be changed.

The CFI system on my bike has two MAP sensors that will not be used with the new ECU. The ECU PCB has an integral MAP sensor that I will use.

There are a lot of other considerations with an upgrade/replacement that I have been learning about. I do post on the GW forums, Classic Goldwings and Naked Goldwings (NGW) as these forums are into the older GWs. Post on the Speeduino forum as well.

There have been many attempts to convert from carb to EFI, but only a few have come to fruition. This forum thread on NGW: https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=45695 is a successful carb to EFI conversion with single turbo. This forum thread on NGW: https://ngwclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=25983&hilit=efi+conversion+to+megasquirt is also a success story and has sequential injection as well as using COP units. I have yet to find a forum thread about an ECU upgrade/replacement on a motorcycle with an existing CFI system such as ours.

There is no direct replacement for the ECU on the CX500-650 turbo bikes nor the early GW bikes. If you find one, definitely used, and old is old, and the price can be quite hefty.

This forum has provided me with information on good alternatives for parts replacement such as the Suzuki MAP sensors (have installed on my GW) and the cam sensors as well (not installed).

I hope that in doing my research and implementation that I can provide some insight into what is involved and required.

We own and ride unique bikes, shame to see these sidelined because of obsolescence.

Cheers

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The CX500-650 turbo motorcycles CFI system is quite similar to my '85 GL1200 Limited Edition FI. The main difference is mine is not a turbo. Most problems have been corrected using aftermarket parts/components that have worked to keep these motorcycles on the road. My concern at this point is that the ECU, not if it fails but when, will be hard to source, and in this regard I have set about to do an ECU upgrade/replacement project.

I have mentioned that I have read a number of conversion threads on several forums and most involve conversion(s) from carbureted motorcycles to an FI system. It is of note that only a few ever come to fruition.

I have taken the time to consolidating a lot of the information I have been collecting and assimilating. The first part - Speeduino Project - Musings is an overview of what I have started on: View attachment Speeduino Project - Musings.pdf

Speeduino Project - Musings - Part 2 is now complete. I have compared what is existing to where I want to end up with the Speeduino project. I'm certain it is not complete, but I feel much better about having done this. For those of you who have read the first part as a cure for insomnia, hopefully this part will not be as painful.

I find that by reading literature/documentation, correlating it into some form of understanding, then putting my understanding back into print is a good way to learn about what I am doing. Served me well throughout school and during my Naval trades training.

Enough pontificating, here is the file in PDF: View attachment Speeduino Project - Musings - Part 2.pdf

Cheers

Reactions: reclinedrelic

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Been a while since I posted here. Took some time off this project to prepare the bike and go on a 3 week trip to Dawson City and back on the 1500. Great trip, always good to get home. Scratch another off the bucket list.

Came home to a pleasant surprise, the Speeduino unit had come in. Nice little unit, main board fully assembled with the Arduino 2560 attached. It's interesting to see the size difference between the OEM ECU and this unit, and that this Speeduino can achieve the same functionality as the older OEM ECU.

Have to review my notes and posts to refresh the memory as to where I was. Still have some investigative work to do to get the various component specs for the setup.

More to follow. Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Rednax I've read through your post a few times as I'm undertaking a similar project on a CX500 Turbo and was curious if there have been any updates on your work!

I've engaged Apex Speed Tech here in the Los Angeles area and we're considering a Link G4X ECU with a custom/new wiring harness, in order to bring the system reliability up to modern standards. My experience with the Megasquirt (back in the college FSAE days) was that documentation for it was challenging to find, so there was a lot of "best engineering judgement" applied, but if you've gotten it (or the speeduino) to work, I'd be curious to hear how it went!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes it has been a while. Trip to the Yukon in the summer of '19, lots of family issues and I bought a V-Strom in the fall of that year. Bought in Toronto, and rode it across to Victoria, had a great time.

2020 came in good but has turned out to be a challenging year. I did manage to bring a lot of projects forward such as a complete paint job on my 1500 Goldwing, an engine rebuild and complete paint job of my '85 Goldwing Limited Edition. Just about completed the 1200 project. Now I can start on the ECU project again.

Have been reviewing the OEM wiring schematics and think that the integrated ECU/dash/travel computer will not be an issue as long as the output from the ECU is the same.

Going to start on this project again in the coming months.

Good that you have outside resources available to you to do this work. Not much here on Vancouver Island for specialty work such as this.

Cheers

·
Registered
9 Posts
Glad it's been a successful and happy year, regardless of the challenges!

Will keep you posted on our progress and hope to compare notes. We've got the factory repair manual with wiring schematics and all, too, but I think my main concern is if some of the old 80's sensors will play nicely with a new ECU/harness.

·
Registered
Honda CX500TC
4 Posts
Glad it's been a successful and happy year, regardless of the challenges!

Will keep you posted on our progress and hope to compare notes. We've got the factory repair manual with wiring schematics and all, too, but I think my main concern is if some of the old 80's sensors will play nicely with a new ECU/harness.
I'm actually embarking on the same project still trying to work out the pheasability of it and what ECU to use. The MICROSQUIRT or maybe a Haltech looked like good options.

The only issue I have noticed is with the ignition and injection systems running separately. Ignition runs off CDI. And in terms of Tuning I'm not entirely sure how easy it would be to make a map without a knock sensor.

·
Super Moderator
6,124 Posts
Saint_ORC what bike are you working on? The OP's GL1200LTD does not have CDI.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,591 Posts
Does it actually have a Capacitor Discharge Ignition or does it have an Electronic Control Unit that you are calling by the wrong name?
It is pretty common for people (especially in the UK) to refer to any electronic ignition as a CDI whether it creates the spark by discharging a capacitor into the coil's primary winding or not. But no matter how many times lazy people call them by the wrong name it won't turn an ECU or a TI spark unit into a CDI.

BTW: Welcome to the forum. Please add your location and your bike's model and model year (NOT year first registered as UK paperwork shows) to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

1 - 20 of 69 Posts