Honda CX 500 Forum banner
241 - 248 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I think the sequential signals look cool but they don’t jump out at you like led signals that are a bright on and off.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
They do turn off completely between cycles. Also, keep in mind that the video of Mr.H was taken in daylight and that digital cameras try to compensate for lighting, which means that you can't always go by how bright a light appears on camera. For reference, the brake lights that I flash near the beginning of the video have a dozen Superbright type LEDs in each (I've been told they are "almost painfully bright") and the HID headlights are significantly brighter than standard halogens.
What I like best about the sequential signals is that they don't need a flasher relay.

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,406 Posts
BTW: Here's the video of Mr.H's lighting, including the new sequential signals. It is basically the same as Eccles has except for stalk type signals on the front and strips in lenses on the rear (the opposite of Eccles). The new camera takes much better video than the old one.
Certainly more visible that a two wheeler. I like the lighting.

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
I know I put the unmolested fairing panel and cover somewhere they would be safe until I decided to install them but you can only search for something for so long so I gave up and made a new panel.
I knew it! I finally got around to tidying up the garage shop and within the first few minutes I decided to move a box that was sitting on the end of the bench I don't use much and there they were ;-)
It's too late for the panel (I'm probably better off with the one I made because this one's corners are a bit bent) so it will go into the fairing parts bin. The cover is hanging on the wall where I'll be able to find it when Eccles comes back from the shed in a few weeks.

BTW: I updated the drawing of the LED/diode/resistor circuit in post #235 so that both sides match.

·
Registered
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition - 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 SE - 2012 Suzuki V-Strom DL1000
106 Posts
Its walkabout is over. Amazing what you find when a clean up is done.

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #246 ·
I haven't posted anything here lately because there was nothing to report while Eccles hibernated in the shed for most of the summer and I drove Mr.H.
Last winter's big project was re-organizing the basement shop so whil I was still in that frame of mind I spent part of the summer re-organizing the garage's big space. It is a lot tidier now, the old-door-on-sawhorses temporary workbench seen in a lot of pics in this thread has been replaced by a door hinged to the wall so I can fold it up when not in use (I can still put up the other one when I need more bench space) and I can get at the wood I have stored in the garage and the stuff on the shelves much easier now.
Flowerpot Houseplant Wood Hardwood Toolroom

I moved the pile of parts I've been trying to sell cheap of out of the permanent shop (anything not spoken for today will be gone next week, either to scrap metal or into storage to be sold later at closer to market prices) and when I could move around in there I tidied up. The GL1000 engine that's been on the bench since 2018 and the partial one that sat in front of the tool chest for the same 3 years are sold and I finally have room to move in there.
BTW: I'm going to try hydroponic gardening this winter so I was building some grow light panels on the bench when I took this pic.
Also, the T8 tubes I converted the fluorescent lights in the garage to 7 or 8 years ago have started to fail; I like the LED strips I put up by the overhead doors and in a couple of other places in the house better so instead of replacing the tubes I ordered more LED strips. The one for the permanent shop is on the bench to the right of the vise waiting for me to install it over the winter.
I really like the magnetic tool holder strips I got for the basement shop so I've been waiting for them to come on sale again at Princess to get some for the garage tool wall. I just got a notification that they will be here today so there will be more changes to the shop soon.
Table Cabinetry Product Desk Workbench

I put the battery from the riding mower into Eccles and drove it from the shed to the garage a few weeks ago to get it ready for the season but other than the usual pre-season maintenance nothing is needed and a lot of that is stuff like changing the oil which I'll do after the first time I ride it.
So I decided this would be a good time to build a camera mount for it. The handlebar mount I built for Mr.H works well but something similar wouldn't work on Eccles because it would either have to look through the windshield (that has been used in winter for a quarter of a century) or it would hit things when I steered.

That meant I had to find a solid place between the bike and sidecar. The only solid place even close to there is the extension on the fairing bracket that supports the top of the rad but that's about 14" below where I wanted the camera to be and below the wind deflector attached to the side of the fairing.
Long story short, I made a hole in the deflector and bolted a piece of the 1/2" square aluminum bar onto the rad support but it flexed too easily so braces were needed.
The obvious place to attach a brace was the diagonal brace that reinforces the rad support and supports the rad filler but something attached to that would meet the upright bar at approx. 45 degrees so I spent a lot of time carving one end of another piece of the 1/2" bar so that when its lower end is bolted on it sits flat against the upright and a bolt can tighten against it. That got rid of most of the upright's side to side flex and some of the fore & aft flex but there was still more fore & aft movement than I liked.
After a bit of pondering I realized that I could drill out an existing hole in the upright and tap it to attach another brace to and bolt the other end to the place on the fairing bracket where the lower originally bolted on. But the end at the fairing bracket needed a bend so I used a piece of flat steel strip instead.
Pieces cut & fitted
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Once everything fit properly I took it all apart, sanded everything, primed the steel piece with cold galvanizing spray and then gave the pieces a couple of coats of black Appliance Epoxy paint and hung them in the basement shop for a week to cure. Yesterday evening I decided it was as cured as it is going to get so I assembled it and moved the camera's waterproof case from Mr.H.
BTW: The steering is turned as far as it goes and there is a lot more room between the hand guard and the camera case than it looks like in the pic.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Hood

That's all for now. I expect to move Mr.H to the shed some time this week so I can put the right battery in Eccles. As soon as I go anywhere outside of our village I'll take some video.

·
Super Moderator
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 · (Edited)
I've been driving Eccles for a couple of weeks. The first attempt at taking video with the camera on the mount above was worse than when I had it mounted on the fairing. It was fairly solid up to where the braces meet the upright but above there I could flex the upright. I also watched a YouTube video about using cameras similar to mine on a bike and learned about something called the "jello" effect, where the camera's electronic stabilization and the vibration from the bike combine to make the ground appear to move like a bowl of Jello. He experimented with a few isolation mounts and then bought an "anti jello" mount and it worked for him. They aren't expensive so I've ordered one to see if it helps me too.
But that won't help with the shaking due to my mounting bracket flexing so I added a second upright
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

The video with it is much better and I was actually able to use about 2/3 of what I shot in this video

But there is still a bit of shaking (mostly in the parts I didn't use) so I added a plate between the uprights (painting the new parts will have to wait until spring) and now the waterproof camera case is flexing more than the bracket so other than the anti jello mount this is about as far as I can go
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle

241 - 248 of 248 Posts