Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seller on EBAY.

I have seen many sellers on Ebay listing the spark controller units for the GL500 as CDI boxes.

Trying to be a nice guy, and as helpful as the members on this site have been to me, I sent them a message telling them that there was no CDI on a Honda GL500 Silverwing. I explained that the units were for TI systems.

His Ebay item ID is 360278788671

I got a response back from a seller named “hondacub” as follows.

“We know exactly what we are selling. The 1981 and 1982 GL500 Silverwing's did have CDI spark units they were right next to the rectifier. We have installed countless of these units on bikes here in our very own shop, and also sold dozens to customers who had failed.”

Hondacub

He also referred me to another site, which apparently is his supplier.

If you check the site they appear to have many products for older motorcycles.

www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=15-101&pmc=ODBIb25DQjc1MEs=

I have also written to him and will see what is response will be.

I am posting this to make members aware that it is possible that you could get an item from this seller that is not as advertised – with the no returns accepted policy causing additional grief.

I could be wrong but I just wanted to alert the good members here as I have received a lot of help in the past.

BillRod

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,089 Posts
What he's selling is the correct ignition unit. He's just using the wrong terminology.

A lot of folks aren't interested in the distinction between CDI and TI ignitions. To them, "CDI" doesn't mean "Capacitive Discharge Ignition," it just means "Ignition Unit." They only care that it works.

R

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,031 Posts
I think the terminology for the '81/'82 plus is transistorized 'spark unit'. Hence the name "tranzistorized ignition". There are 2 on each bike. One for each cylinder.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am posting this to make members aware that it is possible that you could get an item from this seller that is not as advertised – with the no returns accepted policy causing additional grief.

I could be wrong but I just wanted to alert the good members here as I have received a lot of help in the past.

BillRod

One good thing about eBay is the eBay guarantee. If you receive an item that is not as described in the item description and the seller will not refund your money then you can file a claim with eBay (painless process. I have done so myself) and then get your money back. It actually works out better if the seller doesn't help because then there's no return shipping

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
When I bought my clutch cable I bought it on the description that it was for an '81 CX 500 C which also is for an '82, but he had none listed as for an '82. If I hadn't looked at a parts fische to verify they were the same I would not have gotten it obviously.

After I bought it I sent the seller a message telling him "if you change the description to say for '81 & '82 you might sell a few more because the same one works on both years, I just bought one from you".

He emailed me back saying "we know what we're doing".....

I thought to myself "hmmm ok then....what a conceded bastard"

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rickbert,

You should have told him that I know what you are doing also and you are doing it WRONG.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I think the terminology for the '81/'82 plus is transistorized 'spark unit'. Hence the name "tranzistorized ignition". There are 2 on each bike. One for each cylinder.

Your discription should actually be "one for each coil"

my CB750K has 4 cylinders that are sparked by only 2 coils.... which are powered by 1 TI unit for each coil.

The best part - is they are interchangeable with the GL's and the 82's CX models, so I always have lots

of spares on hand.

hope I didn't sound too 'conceded'

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Your discription should actually be "one for each coil"

my CB750K has 4 cylinders that are sparked by only 2 coils.... which are powered by 1 TI unit for each coil.

The best part - is they are interchangeable with the GL's and the 82's CX models, so I always have lots

of spares on hand.

hope I didn't sound too 'conceded'

So just to clarify and So I can post on my forum for substitutes both the Coils and the,"Spark Units" from the CB750Ks are usable on the TAI(Transistor Advanced Ignition) engines/CX/GLs?

PS

you don't sound,"Conceited" but a quite rightly a little smug<grin>

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have had some thankful ebay people and others that have been asses. It's give and take.
I recently got a thankful one for a change!

I called an ebay seller out regarding some side covers that he was selling for the 83 cx650c.

His description stated "Good used sidecovers left and right removed from 83 CX 650 CUSTOM. All snaps are in place (see pics) no fractures..what you see is what your bidding on.."

After looking at the photos I noticed that one snap was broken off and missing from each cover (which is common).

Sent the seller message "Hi, I'm only seeing two snaps on each cover? There should be three, so one is broken off and missing on each? Should be able to tell by looking at them. Thanks in advance for clarifying"

For once I received back a very nice reply "Your right I checked..I took the covers off and they were tight so I figured they came with 2 snaps..many thnx I will post this information immediatley"

He added a note to the auction, "I was advised buy an ebayer that these covers have 3 snaps not 2. I dissasembled this bike and the covers were tight and held on well and both had 2 snaps each. I thought the covers came stock with 2 snaps for this reason. If you want to withdrw your bid feel free to do so. But covers were on well with 2 snaps..thnx CrZyEd"

Hopefully those who had placed their bids prior to him adding this note saw it, though I am doubtful seeings how the set still sold for $175.00!

So anyway, every once in a while you get a thankful seller I guess...

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Clueless eBay sellers are the best. I've gotten some incredible deals on FleaBay from sellers who had absolutely no idea what it was they were selling.

Using universal search terms, you can sometimes find auctions for much sought after stuff with almost zero views or bids because the seller uses incorrect terms and descriptions. Most recent was a friend who I knew needed an ECU for his Mercyless Benz. I ran across one on FleaBay while looking for something completely unrelated. I was the only bidder at $50, the ECU used from the boneyard goes for $600. Based on the description and title, the ONLY way I knew what it was is because I recognised the picture, and I could read 1/2 the part number from the image.

The ones listed correctly usually sell for more than $500 on FleaBay.

I'll only clue in a seller if I'm not interested in the item.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can sometimes find items for cheap when the seller has it SPELLED incorrectly. BillRod

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You can sometimes find items for cheap when the seller has it SPELLED incorrectly. BillRod

I can attest to that on two occasions, neither was CX related though.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I recently scored a nice set of CBR600 coils with wires for the 750F project in my garage for 5 bucks because of poor listing by the seller.

If any of you ride a DOHC 1979-1983 the CBR600 coils are a great bang for your buck. Usually need to spend about 40 for a set. Bolt right in with little modification.

Finding deals on eBay and Craigs List takes almost a daily hunting session.

·
Registered
19 Posts
ya know, 'most' 82 cx's used the sparkers, a bit longer 'pigtail' than the gl500 but would work. is good to remember that parts like forks & stators, I believe, on the 82 cx are not interchangeable with earlier cx's. I've seen cx's with paperwork as 82's that had cdi's and so can be confusing.

my two cents.

Peter in VA

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.