Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some locations are easier/cheaper to ride than others, apparently. Here in Connecticut, USA, my insurance costs about $110/year for property and bodily injury liability only (including passenger coverage) with $500k limit (on 650s). My bro has many more bikes registered than my two and claims to pay under $40/year each. Not sure of coverage he maintains. No titles issued or required on vehicles older than 1985. No mechanical vehicle inspections required for registration or at any other time (unless bought out of state I think, then it's just a VIN check, not mechanical inspection). Helmets optional (yeah, I always wear one). I've even "imported" several Canadian bikes, no title, just a previous owner registration copy. Yeah yeah, I know we also have the highest electricity costs in the continental US and high taxes, but that is a different subject. But to offset that I made a DMV appointment to transfer a bike registration, got one for next day 10 miles away, can't beat that with a stick!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
In Australia it varies. Many have historical/club reg limiting the hours per month..90days per year of "on the road time" and log books needed ..for bout $100 US...this is the sensible route if you have several machines..

In some states it may be $300-$400 (US) for full reg...based on CC (engine capacity)...some states let you "shop around" for the liability cover. and complete the registration process once you have insurance (green slip)..other states just give you a "standard cover" and that tends to be higher priced (no competition)

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MC registration in Connecticut is under $100 for 2 years. "Historical" registration plates are no additional cost if done with first registration, some fee if converted later. No mileage, distance, purpose or days ridden restrictions. I think the bike needs to be over 25 years old (25 years is old???) The plate is fewer digits (both of mine are 4 digits) and sports an antique motorcycle motif. No monetary advantages AFAIK, registration or insurance, just old man bragging rights ;) . Plate sports an EA marking (supposedly Early American, I tell folks it stands for Early Asian :LOL:.

·
Super Moderator
4,507 Posts
The story is different here in Ontario. I pay over $1000 per year for my CX650E. That is for liability, accident benefits and so on; no coverage for collision or theft. With Allstate the rate is slightly less for the GL500 as it is a "touring" bike. The CX650E is classed as a "sports" bike.
Historic plates are available but one is limited to riding to shows or for testing purposes. Normal daily use not permitted with historic plates.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That seems like serious gouging, I mean, Ontarians (?) are unlikely to create higher costs to insurance companies IMO. And I hear they usually say "Surry 'bout that" at the accident scene? :)

·
Super Moderator
4,507 Posts
Agreed! We have what is known as "no fault" insurance. Even though we have "medicare" (OHIP) ones treatment of injuries after a crash is paid for by ones insurance, not by OHIP. As always there will be uninsured road users and hit and run collisions which are also covered by our insurance.
Slightly irksome is the accident benefits portion of the insurance as it is part of all policies, so I pay that for my motorcycle and again for my four wheeled vehicle.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
In mass insurance is $95 a year and about $25 for registration. Inspection is $15.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,977 Posts
While motorcycle insurance is the most profitable segment of the insurance business here on a per policy basis it is a very small portion of the business. And even under no fault the expenses covered are ultimately paid by the at fault driver's insurer (IIRC, the companies keep a running total of what they owe each other and make balance payments to each other at the end of the business year or something like that).
The problem is that most reportable accidents involving motorcycles are 2 vehicle collisions involving a car and the car driver is almost always at fault so the insurance companies see motorcycles as something that eats into the huge profits from the car policies that are the majority of their business and they would prefer if we all just stopped riding so they increase their rates every year in order to discourage us.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Here in SK the government revamped the MC system around 5 years ago. Things got profoundly expensive for higher CC bikes, and "sport bikes" can be $250/ mo ++

As the riding season is short, many don't plate at all, and just run $25 48 hour permits on weekends. No fault here as well.

My "vintage" bike is $10 a month. My harley friends pay in a month what I paid for my whole bike haha.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some updates/correction to my previous Connecticut info: I just discovered that 1980 and earlier bikes require a VIN check by DMV, which by default includes a "Safety Inspection", which includes a check of lights/brakes/mirrors etc, not very intrusive I'm told, nothing taken apart. I'll find out next week probably. So I cancelled my registration appointment last Friday. VIN check is NOT by appointment though, and only one inspection location in the state (due to COVID restrictions). We'll see :rolleyes:. Connecticut is also No-Fault insurance, just say'n. Then back to a new registration appointment. BTW, one issue with this registration is a VIN discrepancy, one digit is transposed on the previous owner's registration, so this will be corrected by the VIN check. In the case of a claim I wouldn't want the insurance company to deny coverage based on "that's not the bike you insured".

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
15,977 Posts
No fault is a good system. Many years ago (before no fault) a good friend was stopped at a red light in the right lane and when the light changed the car in the left lane turned right. He was off work for a couple of months with zero income and living on his credit cards and his landlord's grace. By the time the other driver's insurance company and his lawyer were finished he got a decent settlement but it rook almost 2 years before he saw anything except the payment for the wrecked bike.

When I had my accident a few years later no fault was in place. The day after I got home an adjuster for my insurer was in my home filling out paperwork and providing me with expense forms to send in and I received a wage replacement cheque the next week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts