Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i’m thinking about swapping the under-dimensioned stock fan with a 2007 bandit 1250 e-fan that is bigger and has more coverage of the radiator surface.
My problem is that the fan draws a high current at 13.xx Amps during startup and 6.2 when running.
I’m wondering if a m.unit blue can help me with the fan spike, i see that it has aux1 and aux2 that May be ok for controlling the fan but I’m not sure About it...

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
My GL650 fan seems to work well. It never runs very long so I am guessing it cools the radiator just fine.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
350 Posts
My GL650 fan seems to work well. It never runs very long so I am guessing it cools the radiator just fine.
Agree-air flow thru' the radiator would be the main cooling factor.....track bikes will often dispense with the fan...when I was contemplating a switch from mechanical to e-fan my ex-racing friend suggested doing away with the fan altogether (no traffic jams where I live)
Unless you spend a long time in heavy traffic fan size may be arbitary

·
Registered
81 Posts
zigna,
check out the Brick House Builds youtube series on his CX500, he put in an EFan from a Bandit as well. It fit into the stock shroud too.

He was concerned about the initial amp draw as well, so he is covering that in the next video on the solution (not going with M.Unit). I think he has something specifically related to PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) in mind. this way the fan comes on slowly without the damaging spike on fan start.

HTH.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here is the link to that video, I mentioned previously.

He is also using an eFan off a 2007, so maybe you are already aware. If so, I guess just stay tuned and he will reveal his secrets. ;-)

Bonus link, entire cooling system update. This is where he mentions that how he controls it (electrically) will be covered in a future video.

HTH.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Also, check out this video, he installs a Kawasaki fan (more common upgrade) which draws less amps and should be sufficient.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sounds like a solution looking for a problem

Sent from my Redmi 7A using Tapatalk
This may be, in this case, how would I know. However, I do know that quite often the mechanical fans on these bikes fail and sometimes in catastrophic ways. This is after all, 40 year technology and materials, which in all likelihood may have an unknown provenance.

Here in Texas where the temps get over 100 degrees F during the summer and traffic in the bigger cities (Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio) can slow to a crawl in rush hour an electric fan upgrade makes a lot of sense. In my opinion, this is a worthwhile upgrade, especially if you are already upgrading/refreshing other bits of the bike.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This may be, in this case, how would I know. However, I do know that quite often the mechanical fans on these bikes fail and sometimes in catastrophic ways.
The OP has a 650 - it already has an electric fan, he`s swapping it over to a different one...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Think i’m gonna buy the Kawasaki one, it’s smaller but it runs nicely with the m.unit

and yes, i have to deal Mostly with traffic when riding the bike

·
Registered
81 Posts
The OP has a 650 - it already has an electric fan, he`s swapping it over to a different one...
Well, doh! I guess I should have read the title more carefully. Thanks for the correction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
zigna,
check out the Brick House Builds youtube series on his CX500, he put in an EFan from a Bandit as well. It fit into the stock shroud too.

He was concerned about the initial amp draw as well, so he is covering that in the next video on the solution (not going with M.Unit). I think he has something specifically related to PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) in mind. this way the fan comes on slowly without the damaging spike on fan start.

HTH.
yeah ive seen that! it's very interesting actually. also i know for sure he is using this. https://nuut.ca/becky2x/

i was actually thinking of using this module for a seat massage or a heated vest on my build in the coming future

1 - 14 of 14 Posts