Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to change the exhaust on my '82 CX500C from dual exhaust to mono, (single tail pipe), solely for looks.
I plan on removing the Hbox and fabricating my own header and muffler. I'm not looking to buy anything as I'm poor and cheap.
I also plan on switching to a single pod,(if I can design a manifold that works) or a small version of those round filters that were on old carbureted cars and trucks.

What measures must I take so I don't dramatically change the power and longevity of the bike?

I have a fully equipped shop, and the skills and patience to undertake the project, I just want to know what I'm getting into, if at all possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I thought about the single carb idea also but you must get around the frame down tube then add carb which is a long long way away from the heads or design one with unequal tubes and exit to one side, not a good design....really. You can easily make intakes like I did and buy the Mikuni's off Ebay and modify them...and rejet. It's easy if you have fabrication skills.....just saying.....
I also like the 2 into 1 exhaust but for now I'm sticking with duals until I get the bike running and on the road for this season.......

·
Registered
24,450 Posts
I thought about the single carb idea also but you must get around the frame down tube then add carb which is a long long way away from the heads or design one with unequal tubes and exit to one side, not a good design....really. You can easily make intakes like I did and buy the Mikuni's off Ebay and modify them...and rejet. It's easy if you have fabrication skills.....just saying.....
I also like the 2 into 1 exhaust but for now I'm sticking with duals until I get the bike running and on the road for this season.......

you know maybe you should actually get your cx500 on the road and running properly with your carbs dialed in and jetted correctly

before you tell others how easy it is

·
Registered
853 Posts
I will....It isn't rocket science.....if you have some skills working on engines and understand the needs etc.....it may not have the top dyno run numbers but it will run well and better than a stock machine.....there is enough information out there for anyone with fab skills to build a set of intakes and jet their carbs to get their bikes to run well. They may not be yours but they will run .....just saying.....yours are a proven item for sure and not knocking them at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to clarify, I planed on keeping dual carbs, but now I kind of like the idea of a single carb. I just don't want to tear into the engine if I don't need to, either to accommodate my single exhaust, or to fix a problem the single exhaust may create in the future. I'm not above carburetor work, I just hate tearing engines down when it's not necessary.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Converting to a single carb will be much more difficult than upgrading your twins to mikunis.....imho, that is why I went with the Mikunis....they are proven to work and it's a simple intake fabrication so to speak. You must slightly modify the carbs also and a rejet but it is easily done......even with simple hand tools if you choose....OR the easiest way is to buy Murray's complete system all the work done for you.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Flow and length od pipes etc and then back pressure, unless you like straight through exhaust...?

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Also keep the header lengths as close to the same as possible.
This will preclude having to stagger the jetting for each cylinder.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts