Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was planning on riding my bike to the garage, where I've left my jack to remove the lump. but it's not going to happen as my bike is not very happy with me today.

have stripped everything down and want to get the engine out the frame sharpish and into my car boot (trunk?) tomorrow morning, to take it to the car boot sale (flea market) and flog that POS!
- sorry just kidding.

I've read that milk crates (thanks eurovee) are handy for dropping the motors onto, but might have to try using my skateboard+some thick books if i can't find one.

anybody got any neat tricks on how to do this without any broken fingers or herniated spinal discs ?

was planning on parking on a slight slope towards the kerb, ie, the front facing downhill. securely propping up the engine with said object, removing all bolts - except for the rear v shaped hangers that can be used as a pivot point, undoing the driveshaft pinch bolt and rolling the thing forwards a bit and then just lifting the front wheel away to the side and out of the way.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I got mine out with a 3 ton shop jack. Just raised it to the engine and pulled engine onto it. Then lowered and wheeled out from under the bike. Left it sitting on the jack till I was ready to reinstall and reversed the procedure.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I used a crate under it as well. I would think anything you can make secure from topping over would be good. I'd be cautious of doing this on a slope. I think that would make tipping more of an issue. The flat and level made for an easy drop for me as I did the rest how you're planning. As for saving on the disks- a friend to lift the removed motor would be great. I had slung mine by myself and suffered a sore lower back for days. Made me wish to be in my twenties or early thirties again.. Have fun!

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I've used the 'Spanish Windlass' technique before

and various lumps of wood, bricks and levers at times.

If its ready to drop and yer desperate, give me a bell on 965 0649

and I'll come over in the van and put the trolley jack under it for you

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers Reg, thanks for your offer. the spanish windlass looks pretty nifty.

if no milkcrates materialise and the skateboard is looking sketchy, I'll give you a bell. tea and biccies/bacon sarnies will be provided of course. I'm all out of that white lightning cider stuff unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I used a motorcycle lift to drop my motor on the Fish. What made this so easy was the fact that I have a motorcycle lift. But I'll put being a smartass aside; I have done similar removals (and installs) using a wheeled platform (I'd probably look for something with a wider wheelbase than a skateboard though), a large assortment of scrap wood and a small car jack (the scissor type). One thing to look out for if you haven't done this before is that the motor makes up a significant portion of the total weight and that its' removal will change the bikes' centre of gravity. And yeah, I wouldn't be doing this on a hill. I did mine with a lift but I lifted the motor onto my table by myself. If you can manage to move it in straight lifts without twisting it's doable without wrecking your back.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Milk crate. They're good for everything. Put tools in them, sit on them, drop an engine and strap them on the luggage rack when you're done.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
used a couple of old hifi speakers and an unused kitchen cabinet door and a little wedge of wood to get under the front of the engine. got it out and fixed relatively painfree. got to re-fit it tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.