Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Well that sucks. Thought we had a few years paid for. Guess we need a new source. What was that thing shep uses?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,224 Posts
Grab it all now, in case there's a long delay in finding another service.

R

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Looks like the whole thing is only 800mb. Not bad if you don't have dial up. I might just squirrel it away as a just in case even though I have what I need.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If someone saves all the files I might con my friend into letting me use his server to host the files. If all else fails I could put a server together to host the files. Just so you know I don't have a time line for it being done but I could try. (its pretty simple I just need to throw together a Frankenstein computer to host them.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
I just downloaded the mess and now i'm trying to upload it to my google documents. Came down fast but it's going up really slow. That one gl manual is 111 megs alone.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I just downloaded the mess and now i'm trying to upload it to my google documents. Came down fast but it's going up really slow. That one gl manual is 111 megs alone.

Hey Don,

I was going to suggest google groups or google documents, but you beat me to it. Once you've got it on there, leave us a link and we'll take it for a spin.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
New fun. I think google documents is out. I got the 800 megs downloaded and then re uploaded just to find out if you click the button on the right that says DOWNLOAD THIS ZIP. It isn't all in there. In fact I don't think even half is in there.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Ok second thought.

Maybe there wasn't as much crap as I thought missed. But it had to be manually downloaded and I may have missed some. I'm pretty close to running out of space.

Oh just so you know. There is a decent amount of stuff just linked and labeled to the drop io from external web sources. That stuff doesn't come down.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just downloaded the zip file and opened it up. The zip filename is

converted-All_Drop_Files_05_Jun_07_31AM.zip, so it appears the file was created on the 5th of June.

Judging from the content, this would have been June 5, 2009. Everything after that date appears to be missing from the zip file.

I wonder if there is a way to have drop.io generate another zip file with the current contents.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Someone can open a Hotmail account and just stick all the files in a "public" Skydrive folder. I believe anyone would be able to access them at that point and the 25GB of storage is plenty.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice work, Don! It's also good to see it organized using folders.

One suggestion - rename the GL500 factory service manual to show it is for both the GL500 and the GL650. The manual was originally written for the GL500. Honda added a supplement at the end for the GL650. A newbie looking for a GL650 manual might otherwise think there is no FSM for the GL650.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Ok I'll do that. I have more stuff to rename once I figure out what the hell it is. Like the wiring diagrams. Some were labeled schematic and some were just random numbers. You know before downloading the mess I never even saw that gl manual. I did run through it and it's pretty good. Only wish the cx fsm was as compact as it minus the 111 meg chunk. But the cx manual is just short of 400 megs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ok I'll do that. I have more stuff to rename once I figure out what the hell it is. Like the wiring diagrams. Some were labeled schematic and some were just random numbers. You know before downloading the mess I never even saw that gl manual. I did run through it and it's pretty good. Only wish the cx fsm was as compact as it minus the 111 meg chunk. But the cx manual is just short of 400 megs.

Thanks Don, for moving those files!

Sorry to be off elsewhere. Dave F sent me an email about drop.io closing, but Yahoo helpfully stashed it in the spam folder.

I finally managed to fight my way into the admin settings of the drop and changed the header -- as far as I can tell, they apparently made the ZIP file whenever they made the decision to close drop.io, as there's no way to initiate another ZIP file of the contents that I can find.

Oh -- for convenience, I created a tinyurl http://tinyurl.com/cx500-gl500 to the Google Docs location.

Dex

·
Registered
835 Posts
Didn't we take a collection for the Drop.io site? I know my contribution wasn't much, but how can a website just close without some sort of recorse to paying customers?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts