Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Anyone have a recomedation for rejuvenating the final drive boot and other flex coupling like the air intake tubes?

For the air intake tubes, there is a method of using bicycle innertubes - sort of forced over the rubber parts, then

trimmed to look good. If you use a good contact cement, and sort of 'roll' the tube onto it, it seals up pretty much 100%.

As for the drive boot, it's a tougher story. They do come up once in a while on Ebay, and are often in really good shape.

Keep your eyes open.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Silicone (pure type, sprays available at home improvement or electrical supply) or Glycerin (available in some pharmacies) brings rubber back to life.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I like to use a product called Sil-glyde. It is used for all sorts of things but mostly on caliper slide pins and the like. It is great for seals around the doors of cars and anything that is to be protected. Smear a bit on the boot and it will bring it back to life and give it a bit of its flexibility back. I use it at work all the time on caliper slide pin boots to keep them fresh.

·
Super Moderator
23,212 Posts
A solution of 10% methyl salicilate in 90% xylene or toluene works on the intake rubbers if you soak them in the solution for 2 or 3 days. I learned this from the Oz forum and it works well to resoften the boots.

Sometimes though you will find splits and cracks after the treatment that weren't apparent before as once the boots are able to be flexed previously hidden cracks will become obvious.

Large heat shrink tubing can be used to reseal these, perhaps with a sealant under the tubing before it is shrunk into place.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.