Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys may already know about McMaster Carr, and as Larry mentioned in his book most Hobby Stores will carry Drill Bits in the micro sizes needed to chase the ports...

Here is a link to McMaster Carr's website...the bits seem a bit pricey here, but for those that don't have a Hobby Shop around, this might be the ticket for you.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#metalworking-and-multi-purpose-drill-bits-and-rods/=9mqjh4

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Not sure how it would sit with Larry but I found that the kit for cleaning welding torch tip orifices

works and cost about 2 or 3 dollars. There is about 10 or 12 sizes and it worked for me. Of course I am cheep??

or cheap?? and look for simple solutions to most problems. Things like a 2X4 and a stick for a bead breaker and charcoal lighter for parts cleaning solvent and an old lawn mower gas tank and a piece of hose for an auxiliary gas tank.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Not sure how it would sit with Larry but I found that the kit for cleaning welding torch tip orifices

works and cost about 2 or 3 dollars. There is about 10 or 12 sizes and it worked for me. Of course I am cheep??

or cheap?? and look for simple solutions to most problems. Things like a 2X4 and a stick for a bead breaker and charcoal lighter for parts cleaning solvent and an old lawn mower gas tank and a piece of hose for an auxiliary gas tank.

Having known the man for quite a while now and being at his shop I can attest to his capabilty of turning what most would consider a hard problem into a simple job, most engineers do it the other way around.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Larry said to write the following, he's sitting across the shop shaking his head, since I asked about the welding cleaners. He says "because they have unmeasurable variation in diameter due to the knurling for cleaning they are not precise enough, if one or or two thou of restriction can affect the way the bike runs from idle to two three or four thousand RPM, imagine how much worse it would be if the tip cleaner made it too large and it runs too rich thinking you were making a precise fit.

I spent several days researching to make sure these things are drilled out to the precise sizes without going overboard, if you want to put your faith in a cleaning tip, that's up to you but I don't recommend it. A few more dollars for precision is and accurate running carburetors is priceless."

After feeling the before and after in riding my bike, I've got to agree with him, the drillbit 2 thous smaller fit through my jets without restriction, the correct size wouldn't and after correcting it my bike is a brand new machine.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you can't put a price on doing things the right way. my carbs are cleaned, polished, ports cleaned to spec, and just waiting for my air cutoff valves and rubber plugs to arrive and I will be able to reassemble and try her out! I've never heard a CX500 before, so really looking forward to it. I am borrowing a digital manometer with extreme precision to 'sync' them up when i get her running...will post some detailed pics, and document my experience with digital pics.

Can't wait!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The welding tip cleaners I'm familiar with are tiny little brushes.

Jets are a very tricky matter and unless you've got exact I'd never get near them with anything harder than the soft brass they're made of.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts