Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folded up a bit of shop towel and put it under the weep hole of my 1982 GL500 resto project. These are the results after it only running for 5-20 minutes a few times while I've been tuning the carbs.

The was-blue shop towel is now the green shade of new coolant I put in after a radiator flush. Is this the problem I think it is? Ye olde mechanical seal replacement... Or normal leakage... I dunno, help me please and thank you

·
Super Moderator
3,919 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally they don't leak. If a bike has been sat for some time it may leak after first start up. With running the leak may go away. Sometimes the rubber bellows on the seal will tear, causing a major leak and that will require a new seal.
Shep method CX500 GL500 650 Global • View topic - In Bike Mechanical seal Replacement Also give the Yamaha seal part number.
It hasn't ran in presumably a long ass time, but I don't know how many years. I've started it up several times now after going through the important stuff (carbs, oil, air filter, etc.). The engine only has 5,000 miles so I wouldn't think it'd have a tear. But I want to be sure.

·
Super Moderator
3,919 Posts
The tear will happen on startup if the two parts of the seal have fused together.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Even though it only has 5,000 miles.....it is 38 years old. Rubber can degrade in that amount of time.

You can try running and riding it for a couple hundred miles. It may seal up, it may not seal. Either way, in the near future, I would plan on a mech seal replacement following the Shep method.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I've had a couple of brand new water pump seals leak. These all ONLY dripped when the bike was cold and parked. Once warmed up, there was little to zero drips.
The one that took the longest to seal was on my GL500I, close to 5000 miles and a year or so before it seated itself.

The bad news is, all the engines I've encountered which dripped when hot...never sealed, had to redo one new one, the rest were not new.
This is of course all anecdotal, YMMV, but I would go ahead and change the seal if it were my bike.

"Dreaded weep hole leak" should read "Blessed weep hole leak". If that weep hole didn't drain or was plugged (as some clueless owners do), sooner or later you'd have oil resembling a milk shake in your engine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The most difficult issue with the Shep method is getting the stubborn carbs out of the way.

After that is accomplish, the rest of the work is pretty easy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Possibly true. I have the skills to troubleshoot, wrench and repair/replace.

Although, I'd rather be on top clad in my helmet, armored mesh jack, mesh gloves and the rest of the ATGAT cruising the blacktop.

Practice is looming on the horizon with an engine drop to install raesan, G8, cam chain & blades. Then tires, battery, brakes, carb clean & tune.

Bike has been in storage for a long, long time with previous OP and my $$ are limited during the pandemic. So, my CXC sleeps under cover in the garage on blocks. :(

I may not be on top of the steel horse until 2021 season.

·
Registered
638 Posts
I may not be on top of the steel horse until 2021 season.

:( Bummer Newt, hopefully it will turn around for you before 2021.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah....life has dealt a poor hand.

But, I've come thru similar situations before.......

Kinda a Lather, Rinse, Repeat scenario.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey guys...
So I got back from a 35 mile freeway ride yesterday and notice a bit of coolant beneath the carbs and dripping down the engine of my 1978 Standard.

So this definitely is gonna require a mechanical seal replacement? There's no 'healthy, normal amount' of occasional leaking? I was riding her pretty hard.

I had the bike done over by Larry Cargill in early 2018, and this was part of it... but I know they can still go bad. Total mileage is still under 10K.

I guess I'm just not ready to face the inevitable.... 😢

·
Registered
8,740 Posts
The Grub went right back onto the work stand after Saturday's mini-Ride. Sunday, she got an overdue oil change. Next is Shepping the water pump seal, and cleaning the carbs while they're out.
It's not a difficult procedure, just inconvenient to do.

Randall

·
Registered
274 Posts
So I know I need to order a new seal.... do I need a new water pump gasket as well? Or can it be reused?

·
Super Moderator
3,919 Posts
The gasket for the water pump cover can be reused if in good shape, I've done that several times.

·
Registered
274 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I also found these on eBay.. the generic is less than $8, the Yamaha seal is $30. Hmmm.. they sure look alike. Makes you wonder...

1 - 20 of 44 Posts