Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt my front caliper years ago, but just started riding the bike recently. My front brakes keep dragging so I finally tore them apart again, pulled the pistons out and found them to have good looking seals but slightly pitted pistons. Advice?

·
Super Moderator
5,665 Posts
How clean is the groove in which the seal sits? Debris there puts extra pressure on the piston and may cause problems with retraction. If the chrome is flaking around the pits that can also cause piston drag. Considering the importance of proper braking I would suggest replacing the pistons.

Reactions: LaGrasta

·
Registered
66 Posts
I rebuilt my front caliper years ago, but just started riding the bike recently. My front brakes keep dragging so I finally tore them apart again, pulled the pistons out and found them to have good looking seals but slightly pitted pistons. Advice?
4into1.com has them for not much money. Rebuild kits too…

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After shopping around, 4into1.com is the cheapest, as there are very few stores selling the piston at all, or even the seals for that matter. It cost me $100 to fully rebuild both front GL calipers. Thanks again.

·
Registered
66 Posts
After shopping around, 4into1.com is the cheapest, as there are very few stores selling the piston at all, or even the seals for that matter. It cost me $100 to fully rebuild both front GL calipers. Thanks again.
This is what I found out too, even after accounting for shipping to Canada 4into1 came out as the best place for brake parts. I also got braided brake lines and a master cylinder from them too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Clean calipers, new seals and stainless steel pistons, new flex brake hose or hoses. The hoses will cause the brakes to drag. Make sure master cylinder is clean and fluid is returning after pulling on brake lever. small return hole can clog up.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"The hoses will cause the brakes to drag" is this true, never knew this. Mine are original but appear so good (SoCal climate), I've kept them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
"The hoses will cause the brakes to drag" is this true, never knew this. Mine are original but appear so good (SoCal climate), I've kept them.
They can collapse or delaminate inside. Fluid under high pressure from the master cylinder can still pass and actuate the brakes but upon releasing the brakes the fluid can't back towards the master cylinder causing a partial pressure to remain in the caliper causing brake drag.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They can collapse or delaminate inside. Fluid under high pressure from the master cylinder can still pass and actuate the brakes but upon releasing the brakes the fluid can't back towards the master cylinder causing a partial pressure to remain in the caliper causing brake drag.
New hoses from 4into1 or other places are not that expensive.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,410 Posts
Rubber brake lines should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes (=5 or 6 years).

Have you ever wondered why brake fluid discolours after it has been in the system for a few years? It is a combination of tiny particles of rubber plus the fluid oxidizing because the rubber is porous and a certain amount of moisture (again through the rubber.

Stainless braided lines (actually teflon tubing with stainless wire braided over it for protection) last practically forever and double the fluid change interval. And when you do change the fluid after it has been in the teflon tube for 4 or 5 years it will look a lot cleaner than fluid that was in rubber lines for less than 1 year.

It always amazes me that people make all sorts of modifications for the sake of style and then ignore the ancient brake lines.

BTW: Did you ever check the return hole in the master cylinder?

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It always amazes me that people make all sorts of modifications for the sake of style and then ignore the ancient brake lines.
+1 on that point Bob.

Or why people will rebuild calipers/replace MC but not lines?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
+1 on that point Bob.

Or why people will rebuild calipers/replace MC but not lines?
Yeah...one of my friends had a Ducati 900SD...2 professional engine rebuilds to "race spec" ($15,000Aud) but original brake lines...
I suggested stainless lines.. but a week after fitting the bikes big end went....
No not cause and effect...lol..but questionable priorities.....

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
After I attached my new (generic) brake lines, I cut open one of the originals. Turns out, braided stainless, with black rubber overtop. No wonder people keep using them, they were built well from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,410 Posts
I've cut through old factory brake lines a few times and I've never found steel (stainless or otherwise) in any of them.

Please post a pic of the end of one of your old lines with the fitting on it.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
There is braided stainless with classic black look...mine are HEL but glossy...theres matt as well...

Are you sure its metal and not just cord in the old lines??

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i'll post a pic, when i get back home this evening. these are braided, but look like normal OEM thick black lines.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts