Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I got my bike back from 3 months in the shop the front brake is dragging. After you use the front brake it drags for a short while, then seems to release. After riding a few miles it no longer drags, but as soon as you use it, even a little, it drags for a while again.

For now I am enjoying riding it and using the front brake as little as possible.

What sayeth the experts, caliper? line?

TIA

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have had the flexible lines on cars cause problems like that but, it was far worse. So bad that the car had trouble moving because the caliper was so locked up. Let the car sit for a while and it would bleed off and work great till you used the brakes again.

How old is the line? Wouldn't be a bad idea to change that line out anyway regarless just to know for sure.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I would suggest pulling the caliper and check for a stuck piston. I had this happen on mine, just rode around the block and nearly ruined the rotor. Ended up rebuiding the entire front brake system.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That can also be caused by old or no grease on the caliper pins that connect the two halves yet allow the floating one to glide freely. People forget to clean and regrease those pins on cars all the time, no reason the same wouldn't happen on bikes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, as far as I know the front brake has never been touched, except by the original owner to change the pads, maybe I should do some PM.

·
Registered
381 Posts
After I got my bike back from 3 months in the shop the front brake is dragging. After you use the front brake it drags for a short while, then seems to release. After riding a few miles it no longer drags, but as soon as you use it, even a little, it drags for a while again.

For now I am enjoying riding it and using the front brake as little as possible.

What sayeth the experts, caliper? line?

TIA

I had a sticking front brake a couple of years ago and the problem was crap in the master cylinder blocking the return orifice. It's a pretty tiny hole so it doesn't take much to plug it. What happens then is you apply the brakes, the fluid goes to the caliper and applies the brake but then it can't return to the master cylinder to allow it to release.

Be careful cleaning the hole but know that if you really screw the pooch, you can readily get a new master cylinder. There's nothing real unique to it so a multitude of models will fit. I've got one that was advertised as fitting a Yamaha bike. Well, it stops me just fine.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I second the return hole, that would be the first thing i'd check. If that fixes it then try to bleed out the old fluid and push a bunch of new fluid thru.

If that doesn't work, i'd check the grease on the pins like marshallf3 said...this is quick and easy to do.

If that doesn't help then you should think about pulling the caliper off, getting the piston out, and cleaning the caliper/piston + replacing the seal. A new seal is cheap and this is a really good thing to do if it hasn't been done before. When I got my bike my front brake was dragging and when I pulled the piston there was some rust and crap on it from moisture...I had to hand polish the piston. There was also lots of crusted brake fluid I had to scrape out of the caliper, especially beneath the old seal. It was a world of difference after I fixed that, but at the same time I also replaced the rubber line with a new braided line and a new master cylinder. Honestly if it were me I'd just do it all and get it over with, a new master cylinder, brake line, and seal aren't very expensive.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The same is happening to me, although I do not know the condition of the caliper before me (working, etc).

Do both pads have a clip or just the one?

Also, could this problem be caused by too much fluid in the res or that just foolish talk? I'm new to wrenching, so blast away.

I have a new MC and SB line. I get good stopping when applied, and rubbing when free.

G

·
Everything mentioned is valid. For me, four out of my nine bikes, I rebuilt the calipers, as two were done by their POs. One also had the master cylinder bleed oriface clogged (cleaned and rebuilt the master cylinder). One had the caliper pin bushing siezed. I put pistons and bushings in three of them, as they are still available. All but one has DOT 4. (OMG why did I say that) The one that has DOT 5 had caliper issues too and DOT 5 was continued.

Two things come to mind, imho that is, the dust seals in the calipers pass debris and moisture more than we want, and the piston seal composition hardens over time (heat cycles and fluid oxidation). Hoses, I have not had problems with on bikes yet but gotta keep them in mind. (Don't hang the calipers by the hoses, support them.)

Does anyone here support the following test? >> If you apply the brakes 'cold' and they drag, open the bleeder and see if that relieves the drag. If it does it could be a hose or master cylinder bleed clogged. If it does not its more likely to be a piston or caliper bushing siezed (dragging).

I think of brakes on a motorcyle as important as a wings on a plane. Make 'em right man. It dosen't hurt as often when you have great brakes.

·
Registered
810 Posts
5th on the master. My front brake was similar when I got my bike last year. 20 some bucks for a aftermarket rebuild kit and a couple hours of replacing parts, wasting fluid through it all and bleeding and it is good as new.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just for giggles I went out and checked my pins. Glad I did because the caliper piston dust cover is worn through. Time to get another one. You guys are geniuses.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yep, fluid return orifice. 99.9% guaranteed.

Not enough owners care about their brakes to flush and bleed their brakes every 12 months, I'm guilty of it myself. Most people only touch the brakes when an issue comes up. As said, if you can, change fluid, buy braided lines (these dont swell as much as rubber, gets rid of the spongy feel at the lever), and overhaul/change Master cyl. I swapped my last one for a GSX/r round type, and it works just fine. Mr Honda charges like a wounded Bull, in Australia. So lots of parts are cheaper to find replacements for than buy original.

Dont be scared of trying it yourself, ask a mate to help with the bleeding, and do it yourself. Lots of experience on the forum. Just ask...

Good luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.