Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And it was on my 81 Deluxe! About 6 months ago, I bought a roughed up, but working, Triumph inline 4 sport bike, which I told myself I would just use for long travels. Well, oil leaks and other things led to my CX chillin' on it's center stand for, we'll say 6 months. In that time I completely conformed to the sport bike riding physique, and loved just ripping corners and having a ball with my new found speed and clearance. Well, time came around and I was able to fix my oil leak(s) with help from all you folk on here and days off, so I take the CX to work the next day. It was rough times I tell you, my hands so far above the gastank and every time I went to put my foot on the pegs, they seemed to move further and further toward the front of the bike, madness I say. Made it to work, found a new lovely coolant leak in the back of the engine, making it run too hot, but seems like something new is leaking or clanking every time I go somewhere anyway! On my way home is where my fun/near crash experience happened. I had always been afraid to push this bike before, mainly because I didn't want to find out its' limits by crashing, but with that sport bike mindset, I juiced it through my favorite corner, fast and low, too low. The feeling was in between the "yeah that's the stuff" and "is there a spider on my foot" when I felt my shoe being moved back and the bottom of the bike being pulled on. Now I'm sure it would have been fine if I would have just eased off and kept with it, but I decided to go the route of what the fuck do I do. After it all, I got it handled and onto the freeway with just 100 more heartbeats per minute. A fine day for me.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
sounds like what i do every time i take a turn......yea i lean the bike over........way over

·
Registered
840 Posts
Interesting topic for me as I only have about a year experience and ~600 miles under my belt. I am nervous about leaning the bike over. Any advice would be appreciated. My one riding friend has been riding for about 30 years and he doesn't really have to think about much as it's all second nature for him. I just have a hard time taking semi-tight to tight turns at more than about 30 mph because I'm too nervous to keep leaning.... blech.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting topic for me as I only have about a year experience and ~600 miles under my belt. I am nervous about leaning the bike over. Any advice would be appreciated. My one riding friend has been riding for about 30 years and he doesn't really have to think about much as it's all second nature for him. I just have a hard time taking semi-tight to tight turns at more than about 30 mph because I'm too nervous to keep leaning.... blech.

You can't just lean and expect the bike to lean too, it only works to a certain extent. It's all about leaning and getting your counter steer on! I was very timid to go low and fast on my CX because it's so damn heavy and fat, but experience and habbit with other bikes brought me to do it on accident, just play around with your counter steering alot more to get it going.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Education and practice:

Ride Like a Pro - Jerry Palladino

Twist of the Wrist I & II - Keith Code

Proficient Motorcycling & More Proficient Motorcycling - David Hough

Sport Riding Techniques - Nick Ienatsch

Total Control - Lee Parks

At 600 miles total experience, you don't need to worry about dragging pegs or knees. But it is a good time to start investing in yourself - a good motorcycling library, well-read/watched and practiced is a great start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.