Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Gearing is generally designed to give best use of the available torque and the potential HP from multiplication of torque by RPM. I guess an increase in torque could pull a higher gearing without penalty.

For a stock 500 I think Honda has pretty much nailed this but a minor alteration of gearing could be accomplished by playing with rim size and tyre profile.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
In an ideal world gearing would be designed to give best use of available torque. But moto-journalists became obsessed with 1/4 mile times (which don't mean much in the real world) and manufacturers played to that obsession by producing bikes that were under geared.

If stock 500s truly had appropriate gearing we wouldn't have discussed methods of raising the overall gearing to make them better on the highways so many times.....

·
Registered
1980 CX500C, 79 Chopped Shovelhead, Mixed years Zuki Rockcrawler Chopped 32 Ford 3 window coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thank you everyone for the interest in this thread. The How stupid can you get line was meant as a reaction rather than a proposition. My bad, Sorry. Transverse mounting the engine would open up many options.It would also require a complete frame build. Our shop has both equipment and talented people to build a one off frame. What we don't have is the time required. The proposal is a quick (less than a month at this point) build as a present to our parts girl. The goal is bike she can bracket race. So consistency is the name of the game. Track we run most is 1/8 mile so this bike will never see top gears. Mods we are looking at. Wheelie bar strut combo (lowering bike to accepted 4.5 degrees) air shift, 2 step rev limiter,up graded clutch,smaller fuel tank, Ex header, carb stacks,clip on bars,wrist tethered kill switch,rear pegs (air shifted, so no need for extended linkage.will need to deal with rear brake), modded seat (so her little butt won't slide off!), soft rear tire, lower front, strip ever thing not needed. And we're outta time! Her dad runs a KZ900 with about the same list of mods. Susy has run his bike with no issues at all. Freddy just isn't ready to let her take it over as her full time ride.This bike would let her work on the basics of running a bike. Making her better prepared to take over piloting the KZ when Freddy is ready. So what does everyone think?

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,070 Posts
Extending the swingarm might eliminate the need for a wheelie bar.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,305 Posts
Like I said before, why not?

If you could get your hands on an E model the rear brake would be easier because they came with rear discs but finding one in time probably won't be possible.

Extending the swingarm means extending the driveshaft. Wheelie bars are much easier.

I still think I'd start by calling Murray about carbs for it.
And if you are starting with a 650 you might consider converting it to a manual camchain tensioner adjuster like the 500s have to eliminate a weak point.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
659 Posts
Is lower gearing better in drag racing, as higher gearing is better in land speed? Installing a 500 primary/clutch and/or transmission in a 650 engine would reduce top speed, but might get you to that speed faster.
R,
Speaking of drag racing last thurs bike nite a mixed group of bike all loud & whipping in and out of traffic pulled up to Stinson stop lite-hardly noticed little 83 yr old man pull up in other lane on Gl 500 with milk crate attached. They were making to much noise to notice Honda rev up-when lite changed I pulled perfect "Hole Shot" & was across intersection before they were moving-Heard loud roar (of indignation) behind me-started laughing to myself-let up & watched them all pass full throttle by on both sides of me.
Paul

·
Registered
1980 CX500C, 79 Chopped Shovelhead, Mixed years Zuki Rockcrawler Chopped 32 Ford 3 window coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Like I said before, why not?

If you could get your hands on an E model the rear brake would be easier because they came with rear discs but finding one in time probably won't be possible.

Extending the swingarm means extending the driveshaft. Wheelie bars are much easier.

I still think I'd start by calling Murray about carbs for it.
And if you are starting with a 650 you might consider converting it to a manual camchain tensioner adjuster like the 500s have to eliminate a weak point.
Thank you. I'll see about getting a manual adjuster for the chain. Rear disc would be great. I think for now we'll get some good EBC shoes and pads. We have a full machine shop, so I'm hoping we can work out a rear peg brake leaver with out it getting to clunky.

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
If stock 500s truly had appropriate gearing we wouldn't have discussed methods of raising the overall gearing to make them better on the highways so many times.....
But the gearing IS perfect to put you into the power again from an upchange at or approaching redline if not for high speed cruising or absolute top end.

It seems to me that if not ideal for drags {1/4} it is ideal at least for sprinting {1/8}

·
Registered
24,457 Posts
i have 500 gearing in my street cafe 650 it wheelies well and requires machining

but easy to over rev so i have a rev limiter to keep everything where it belongs

a better choice if i were bracket racing would be to use a cx500 clutch and primary gear in a 650 motor in the 500 frame and hope no one notices the 650 oil pan

put the 500 rocker covers on it use the honda cx500 emblems and a belly pan to hide the oil pan i may or may not have done this and got away with it for a season

the bike is to old for any tech inspector to know jack about it

go easy on the nitrous with a 650 as you cant retard the timing unless you ask ray real nice and he could give you a trigger input hooked to the solenoid valve so you haul the timing back 4-6 degrees during

the spray

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
i have 500 gearing in my street cafe 650 it wheelies well and requires machining

but easy to over rev so i have a rev limiter to keep everything where it belongs

a better choice if i were bracket racing would be to use a cx500 clutch and primary gear in a 650 motor in the 500 frame and hope no one notices the 650 oil pan

put the 500 rocker covers on it use the honda cx500 emblems and a belly pan to hide the oil pan i may or may not have done this and got away with it for a season

the bike is to old for any tech inspector to know jack about it

go easy on the nitrous with a 650 as you cant retard the timing unless you ask ray real nice and he could give you a trigger input hooked to the solenoid valve so you haul the timing back 4-6 degrees during

the spray
This 500 clutch and primary gearing into this 650 intrigues me (maybe not this time because of time line. and no spare 500 eng. but a later possibility for sure) Please elaborate on overall gearing effect and parts and machining needed. Is there a write up or other source you can refer me to? Thank you!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Go,Susy,Go!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Grafting 2 engines ala Millyard??o_O
That man builds incredible stuff! Would love to install one of his 1000cc two stroke 4 cly engines in a full on drag bike chassis! What a ride that would be:cool: Someone must have built one, I've just never seen it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Go,Susy,Go!!!!!
Early this summer Susy rode her Dads KZ to a 1/4 mile time of 8.89 at 150 mph down in Ga. This bike will help her build on the fundamentals of riding a drag bike. Practice makes perfect! or as close as possible.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
That man builds incredible stuff! Would love to install one of his 1000cc two stroke 4 cly engines in a full on drag bike chassis! What a ride that would be:cool: Someone must have built one, I've just never seen it
BTW-Someone posted a double CX non-working project here some time ago.....ill see if can locate...
But yep like those big cc 2 stroke multis....(y)...like a CBX without the 24 valves to adjust....lol

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
CXPHREAK do you recall the pic of the twin CX500? Some suggested it was just a "mock-up" as nothing "connected"....??Dutch member posted...cant find it.

Lots of interesting bikes on you tube...but.... in respect to OP wont digress ...(unusual for me...lol)

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
yup side by side...maybe not what Millyard would do!

·
Registered
CX500 Z 1978 , Rickman Polaris fairing, currently GL500 front, Ignitech etc. subject to change
299 Posts
guilty, see this thread and as said don't take it too seriously. Definitely not suitable for drag racing :cool:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts