Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1980 CX500C, 79 Chopped Shovelhead, Mixed years Zuki Rockcrawler Chopped 32 Ford 3 window coupe
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote the title not knowing what kind of response I'm about to get.
A) It can't be done! Go to the corner and put your dunce hat on, Stupid!
B) You will break every part on it! Again to the corner with you!
C) It's a wonderful motorcycle to just enjoy. Don't destroy another one! Corner, don't forget your hat!
D) Yes it can be done. Here is a list of suggested modifications and guidelines, including tire recommendations.
There you go,pick one! D is the only being helpful in anyway.

Here is the back story to the Drag Racing question. With the CX500 in our shop now, there has been lot of talk. Good and Bad, some friendly sh_t talk ect. One of the shop guy says, my girl friends dad has a 650 like this. He's been trying to get me take it and maybe do some thing with it. Dragbike! our parts girl yells from the back. No one really says anything. Well can't we she says? I'll ride it she continues. You have all seen me ride Dad's 900! And it runs 9's all day long! (sticking her chest out with a smurk on her face). "That bike is fast, KZ900, struts,wheelie bar, 2 step and air shift" Did you wash the truck like I asked you to? She stuck her tongue out and walked off. I didn't know what else to say. Looking at David the shop guy. Well, I guess get that bike here and I'll check into it. Might make a cool little bracket bike for her David adds, now walking away. Over his shoulder I hear. Her birthday's in like a month right? Ya better call Freddy! Damnit! get that weld done I yell back! He's right, I'd better call Freddy, that's Susy's the parts girls Dad and long time friend and co conspirator on many projects. He'll be good with the idea. Over beers the other night he had said he didn't know what he was going to do for her birthday.

So back to the Drag Racing question! Who's done it and what did you do to the bike to do it?:)

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Not done it but I want to take my thingy to the strip when it opens this year just out of interest to get something other than my seat of the pants dyno figure.

Found this thread.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
I have some recollection of someone drag racing a modified CX Turbo, but I haven't heard mention of it for a long time.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
For the Aussies there were many drag meets at Oran Park....many of the bike mags did their quarter mile times there....
I'm thinking stock times are available, but they might be the common quoted times.....

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
lol ..total digression......the tawny genus name is from a greek word for gout......:geek:
Unfortunately off the bike for 1 month with a ballooned foot due to that infliction....(couldn't get the boots on)
So my Avatar has changed.....and 'bout time I use some current pics of bikes when I get to it (photos)

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
14 is pretty good.If I could shave a 1/2 second from that I'd be almost as happy as if it was a full one. I frequently ride a number of different CXs. The thingy rips. 😁

A factor in gout is supposed to be height. Are you tall?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Nope not tall, but can tell you....a bad bout (o'gout) if as painful as a break.....cant even move your toes/weight bear...lasted 14days like that..

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
I have a couple of mates prone to gout.

One only gets it in the small toes the other the ankles. Both are tall.

Thinking back, there is a thread here somewhere where a member posted the timing slips for his build.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
I would think that one limitation would be the lack of gearing choices. Why not turn the engine sideways and change to chain drive.

I like the ease of maintenance of shaft drive for street use but it has its limitations when it comes to drag racing. Chain maintenance is much less of an issue when drag racing.

Check this thread: Chain drive CX

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Are you asking me? If so, I expect that the OP is not looking to keep the engine stock so the ability to change gearing may be of value.

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Are you asking me? If so, I expect that the OP is not looking to keep the engine stock so the ability to change gearing may be of value.
Yes Mike.

Regardless of anything else a stock bike will always be the baseline.

If it reaches {pulling number from @rse} 80 MPH it has 30 left. Your mods would need to be good enough to reel in that extra 30 in the 1/4 before the fixed gearing became an issue..

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
From the cycle world test of a CX500 standard;

13.99sec @ 150km/hr (93mph)
13.96sec @ 148.85km/hr (Cycle World)
Top speed 104 mph.
Could altered gearing result in reaching 104 in the 1/4 mile?

In the thread title the OP asked ...how stupid can you get. I was trying to suggest stupid.

·
Super Moderator
5,166 Posts
Changing to chain drive would also make a wider selection of rear wheels and tires available.

·
Super Moderator
23,099 Posts
Not disputing that Mike.

But my interest is in the CX as a bike, that's all.

What the OPs interest here is remains to be seen.

Thanks for the info. All is welcome.

I have Mira figures here somewhere but I'd need to find the magazines.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
Is lower gearing better in drag racing, as higher gearing is better in land speed? Installing a 500 primary/clutch and/or transmission in a 650 engine would reduce top speed, but might get you to that speed faster.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts