Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the 500T to West Coast Moto Jam yesterday at Infineon Raceway, and went through a few drag runs.

Walking into the thing, I figured the bike itself with just about any idiot at the helm should be able to pull a 13.5 second quarter.

Boy was I wrong.

Drag racing is a whole freaking other set of conditions that the average rider just does not prepare for.

The things we take for granted, like taking off, shifting, reaction times, are all ridiculously integrated into the sport.

Here's my awakening:

I have never dragged before in my life, and I sucked worse than I ever imagined.

First practice run as a noob, I had no idea how the light tree worked. You know, you watch TV, you see three yellow lights sequentially counting down to green, then GO!

Nope, line up on the grid, get your four lights, wait a second, all three yellow on simultaneously, then green, oh CRAP! Time to go, (adrenaline) where's my shifter (more adrenaline), where's my clutch (more adrenaline), why isn't my bike moving yet????? WHEN IS THAT DAMNED TURBO GOING TO START SPOOLING (oh, there it is)

15.007 seconds and one missed shift later, it was over. Wow, that stank.

Second Run. Okay, I've got this. Clutch, 4k RPM, Three yellows, green, GO! Through all gears,

slightly over 14 seconds.

Bracket Decision. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Okay, 13.9.

I've got this.

First Run: 13.909 Win. Holy shit. I did it. I actually did it. Bike's still slower than it should be (or maybe it's me), but I nailed the bracket.

Second Run, or, "Where did this f***ing head wind come from?"

14.2something something. Lose. D'OH!

So, bear in mind everybody, when the stats say that the CX500 Turbo can do a 12.38 second quarter mile at 106, that is the fastest guy, with the fastest reaction time, the most perfect shifts, and a flawlessly running bike.

The reality is that most of us will never crack the 13 second mark.

That being said, I was still posting faster times than a lot of bikes out there, and still cracked 100 at the quarter mile mark, even with a 10 mile per hour head wind.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Well done Tim,

did you ride it home ?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Great story! Most of us can appreciate the difficulties one would face in preparation for that 12+ seconds of glory.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did not ride it home!

I am a notorious worrier. After seeing the aftermath of crashes and blown engines from various track days I have ridden or watched, I am a firm believer of trailering my bikes in and out.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Hate to jump in as a non- turboer, but I saw the title and had to check it out... I ride the 81 CX500 Custom, and was at the track last year running a few times, found that 14.8 was very consistent for me, and I was a noob, now I have 2 days under my belt, and about 15-20 runs, so I'm a noob... For the record I had a trunk and saddle bags fully loaded with emergency gear, work gear, and 4 or 5 new parts catalogs... I did find that my 500C will tear up an 03 sportster 883 with an aftermarket carb, his best was a 15.3 and we ran against each other about 10 times. Your best bet is to go to the test and tune's, not sure when they are in your area, but here it's every other week Weds and I believe Friday, unless there's an event that friday... I can't wait to get the GL650 down there, but it's going to be naked...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Thanks for the real world info. I was trying to see if my "butt dyno" was accurately telling me that my car is faster than my 500 Turbo. My first time at the track in my car I was a little over zealous with the boost and blew the head gasket at half track. I coasted through the traps and clocked a 14.01 at 89MPH. I left quite the "spy hunter" smoke screen at the track that day.

Almost forgot - had the drive car home 150 miles with my family that night leaving a cloud of shame behind me the whole way.

Again, thanks for the story! I'll have to get mine to the track now!

·
Registered
122 Posts
14? I would have swore these bikes were faster than that. I used to get 14's in my 65 Coupe De Ville. I got 11's in my 1970 Pontiac Grand Prix. But I had souped it up quite a bit. I only make it to "four one thousand" when I go my 0-60 times on my bike. That seemed pretty darn quick to me.

I think I have been driving a van and trailer for so long that I really have no idea what real performance is any more.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The times should be faster, and it's probable that they are.

My reaction times averaged between .5 to .7 seconds, which is pretty slow, that costs at least .25-.5 seconds easily.

I was also going into a head wind, which slows the acceleration, and I may have a minor exhaust leak which would slow the spooling.

My guess is that the average guy with a perfect running bike should run high 12 to low 13's under ideal conditions.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
My reaction times were rather random at 1st, and my times didn't seem to reflect them... So I'm guessing for the test and tune at my local strip, 131 speedway, they don't factor in the reaction to your ET, I'm sure they do for the race, but not for the tests...

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have done a decent amount of test and tune nights in cars and there are two major factors that anyone can change in a car or bike. 1. practice with over 100 passes I was still working on consistancy and feel of the car. 2. Tires, tires, tires, tires, and tires. just changing tires and their compound adn the air pressure run in them can have significant gains.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My reaction times were rather random at 1st, and my times didn't seem to reflect them... So I'm guessing for the test and tune at my local strip, 131 speedway, they don't factor in the reaction to your ET, I'm sure they do for the race, but not for the tests...

Right, for test and tune, reaction time's don't factor into your ET.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can't tell me that a bad launch does not factor in to your time.

If you lose a half second in a launch, how do you make up for the lost time?

Consistency includes everything non-mechanical as far as bracket racing goes.

Consistent launch, consistent shifts, consistent throttle control.

Hell, wind made a difference for me.

When you are talking about thousandths of a second to hit your bracket, EVERYTHING counts.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You can't tell me that a bad launch does not factor in to your time.

If you lose a half second in a launch, how do you make up for the lost time?

Consistency includes everything non-mechanical as far as bracket racing goes.

Consistent launch, consistent shifts, consistent throttle control.

Hell, wind made a difference for me.

When you are talking about thousandths of a second to hit your bracket, EVERYTHING counts.

Launch and reaction time are totally different. The track does not start your time until you reconnect the staging beams on test and tune nights. That way you can just look at your ET on your timeslip to see if your driving or mechanical adjustments made any difference.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
But they measure your reaction time so you can work on that too. I haven't truly raced it, just for fun so far, but I think I might this year after I get my GL650 going, probably just run my CX500 there though, might even do some work on it, thinking of hard tailing it so it's lower and making some other mods, dunno if it'll help the racing, but it'll look cooler lol

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Ohhhhhh, that makes sense.
That's part of what makes drag racing interesting. You can have the faster ET and faster MPH but the guy with the quicker reaction time often wins the race. This is the great equalizer that allows the car (or bike) that isn't quite as quick to win the race when they can make a red light cheating start to get off the line. As the earlier posts stated, your time does not start until the light beam is broken and the clock starts. As for your times, these were done by motorcycle testers who launched at 9,000 rpm and drove the bike like they stole it to get the best times. After all they had to beat Cycle Guide, Cycle, Motorcyclist, etc.

·
Premium Member
777 Posts
Found in an article from : Motorcyclist, July 1982 ( test CX500T against Yamaha XJ650L Seca Turbo )

" With help of nearly ideal weather conditions, turbo-ace Gleason posted a best run on our Seca test bike of 12.407 seconds at 105.38 mph.
He then made a group of passes on the Honda Turbo; the best was 12.184 seconds at 108.3 mph "

Jay "PeeWee" Gleason

Reactions: Carytowncat

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
But they measure your reaction time so you can work on that too.
Do this reaction test

I should explain/translate a bit:
You click on the Start button
Wait until the little window gets coloured.
Then click on Stop.
A little remark field will tell You the time how slowfastquick Your personal reaction time was.
To translate the funny text use a translator tool ;-)

Remarks can be:
0.749 seconds---> Do You drink alcoholic in the moment ?
1.888 seconds ---> You are sleeping ?

Click on OK and try it again.

Have fun :))

·
Registered
335 Posts
Found in an article from : Motorcyclist, July 1982 ( test CX500T against Yamaha XJ650L Seca Turbo )

" With help of nearly ideal weather conditions, turbo-ace Gleason posted a best run on our Seca test bike of 12.407 seconds at 105.38 mph.
He then made a group of passes on the Honda Turbo; the best was 12.184 seconds at 108.3 mph "

Jay "PeeWee" Gleason
Yes Pim I've done also the quarter mile on my 650T on Shakespere County Raceway in England in 2012 and on Santa Pod in 2013.
My fasted time was on Santa Pod: 12.864 seconds at 108,82 Mph.
As you can see my velocity was higher but my time much slower. My start was slow but I regained it in the last meters.
As I had to drive it back to Holland, 750 km, I did'nt pull the trigger to the end so there is some progress possible.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motorcycle racer Motorcycling

1 - 20 of 47 Posts