Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when I did the big rebuild just over a year ago I also replaced the cooling fan. I'd read about the devastation they can wreakand when I saw the cracks radiating from the metal hub I immediately put in an order for a new one.

Here's the front of the old fan.

And the rear...

Front of the new fan. With just under 10,000 km on it. It's not even dirty yet!

And the rear...

Needless to say, I'm not at all impressed with this. I only wish I'd had the time to start my teardown last fall; then I wouldn't be scrambling now at the start of the riding season. I guess I'll have to order a new one. As much as I'd like to go electric I have this terrible itch to start riding immediately.

Damn it damn it damn it!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Thats a bit worrying isnt it?

I've seen and used manys the fan with cracks in it but

it isnt what you want to see and doesnt inspire confidence.

Your new one looks worse than many an old one I've seen !

I;d suggest you consider going electric

As Shep says its pretty straightforward and the only real

work I had was in the ironmongery I had to do

to make the support and guard for the one I used

Other fans may allow them selves to be used with less work

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I've posted questions to 5 sellers on the Bay requesting overall thickness of the electric cooling fans today and already got 2 replies. First one said they don't provide any measurements and the other one said the part was already boxed up and he wasn't allowed to open it again. Needless to say those 2 fine examples of lazy have been struck off my watch list. 'We'd rather not sell it than lift a finger to make a sale. Thank you, come again.' Idiots.

So I ordered a new fan @ $55 and I'll just keep trying to find a motivated seller for the eventual electric fan upgrade.

Sweet zombie Jebus.

Reactions: zgoldwingman

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
So I ordered a new fan @ $55 and I'll just keep trying to find a motivated seller for the eventual electric fan upgrade.

Just noticed you're in Canada, shipping will kill you on what I was going to post.

There are some good writeups on converting to the electric fan, every fan I've ever seen on a CX had the same marks and tears, they shrink and something has to give. While some have experienced catastrophic failure, it's not the norm.

Irregardless, the new fan you bought should not have deformed like that in such a short time, I would consider it defective.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I've posted questions to 5 sellers on the Bay requesting overall thickness of the electric cooling fans today and already got 2 replies. First one said they don't provide any measurements and the other one said the part was already boxed up and he wasn't allowed to open it again. Needless to say those 2 fine examples of lazy have been struck off my watch list. 'We'd rather not sell it than lift a finger to make a sale. Thank you, come again.' Idiots.

Sweet zombie Jebus.

As you know I use 2nd hand Ducati fans but if these were as cheap as they are over there I would have used one of these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-in...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

We get ripped off big time on these in the UK.They even come with the fixing ties so can be used straight onto the inner rad easily taking care not to press the small thin heat dissipation fins.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
As you know I use 2nd hand Ducati fans but if these were as cheap as they are over there I would have used one of these,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-in...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

We get ripped off big time on these in the UK.They even come with the fixing ties so can be used straight onto the inner rad easily taking care not to press the small thin heat dissipation fins.

What size is the Ducati fan? Does the camshaft have to be trimmed for it to fit? Did you attach directly to the radiator, or to the fan shroud?

Coolant temp switch or externally mounted one?

If I go with option 2 (pulling engine and doing all the seals) on the Silverwing, I'll do the mechanical fan delete too.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
It's all in my links Cobram,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewforum.php?f=7

Originally I moved the Rad bracket forward on my 1st one so no Trimmimg of the Cam-shaft needed.Now however I decided I would never go back to a Mechanical fan on either of my CX500s so used my dremmel with a small cutting wheel and trimmed a bit of both my Cam-shafts but as stated in my links I could retro fit a Mech fan still if required using a couple of washers inside the rear of a Mech fan.

Those Slim fans may not even require any modifications and just a snap fit to the rad.I have removed and don't use the CX fan shrouds.Apart from all the other advantages if you ever want to get to the Tach drive or do the oil pump/sump clean it's a breeze with an Efan and a couple of bullet connectors to pull apart compared with messing around taking Mech fans off.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I found the cam shaft surprisingly soft and

removing the front engine support bracket enabled me to use

a hacksaw with the blade at 90 deg to the frame to trim the taper

off quite easily.

If you get a fan in a cage, fitting is much easier and quicker.

The ones that Shep pointed out look promising

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Ok, this is getting ridiculous. I've posted questions to 5 sellers on the Bay requesting overall thickness of the electric cooling fans today and already got 2 replies.
They usually don't know, don't care and don't want to bother digging it out of the dust its been sitting in and measuring it. Thre is a partial list of fans that we KNOW will work in this thread: http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/1878-electric-fan-conversion-data-faq-thread/

Another reason to go electric is that a lot of what's being sold as "new" fans have been sitting on the shelf for 30 years and age gets to the plastic just as much as use does. Keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Another reason to go electric is that a lot of what's being sold as "new" fans have been sitting on the shelf for 30 years and age gets to the plastic just as much as use does. Keep a close eye on it.

Not the fans, they're used on a bunch of other small engine applications so they don't sit on the shelf that long. That's why they're so readily available.

There was an all metal fan with a separate hub that was used on Honda stationary engines, I noticed it on a motor home generator many moons ago, unfortunately, even way back then it was NLA and had been superseded by the plastic fan used on the CX's and GL's.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Then I stand corrected. Let's leave it as "there's a slight chance you might get" as there's probably still NOS floating around.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Not the fans, they're used on a bunch of other small engine applications so they don't sit on the shelf that long. That's why they're so readily available.

Yes they are used on some other small engines like on Honda Boat engines however there will also be some,"Sold as New" fans that may well have been on shelves for years,at least over here in the UK.What happens over the years is that one company goes out of business and some one else buys up their stock ad that stock can be years old.For most parts this may not be a problem but these fans seem to be a bad design IMHO.

The centre hub is cheap metal and as we see the plastic/nylon starts to crack over time.

If someone buys one and there's any cracks they should return it.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts

Fan wasn't even a year old.

Guess I need to convert to an electric to prevent this sort of problem (water was a little deep, I slowed down too much and my bow wave got away from me.)

Any thoughts on this fan?

For some reason I had it in my bike notes...

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
The electric fan write ups around here tell you exactly what fan to order. no measuring needed.

I ordered a new mech. fan.....the new one had lots of cracks in it....took it back, converted to electric.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts

Dimension-wise the 7" dia will be tight but I think that's the size of the Suzuki fan I used on mine. That also appears to be thin enough that the cam wouldn't need to be trimmed but you never know until you actually have it mounted, it was the outer trim ring on mine that ended up being a little close for comfort.

Kind of expensive though, I think mine came to $35 including shipping.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

Fan wasn't even a year old.

Guess I need to convert to an electric to prevent this sort of problem (water was a little deep, I slowed down too much and my bow wave got away from me.)

For some reason I had it in my bike notes...

That will be fine.IIRC 9" would be too tight.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
That's $35 for a used fan?

I've browses eBay looking for ZX6R fans but haven't seen any I like yet.

A lot of the used fans came off low mileage wrecked bikes, go by the year.

I like my Suzuki fan but I like the 2009 Kawasaki 900 Vulcan fan the best of any I've seen.

Be sure to look through that thread I posted, in addition to known fitting fans there are links to pix of a ZX6R fan that WILL NOT fit but I think it came off a really early model.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.