Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is changing to a K&N filter very involved? I use K&N on basically everything I drive. So the CX is the next candidate.

No need to waste time with big holes myth...

·
Registered
105 Posts
As long as you have a K&N air filter that will fit, just take it out of the

wrapping (the air filter already has the oil spray applied), and place the

air filter in the bike.

Every vehicle and bike I've put one in has been a benefit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
848 Posts
There is no drop in replacement. You have to remove a bunch of plumbing and I believe the reed valve so it's a bit involved.

If I lived in a dusty area I'd consider installing one just because it probably filters much better than the OEM sponge.

Dan Topping sells a K&N setup.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I believe the opposite is true. If I lived in a dusty area and wanted my engine to last I wouldn't use a K&N.

I disagree. If properly oiled it should be as effective if not more. An outer pre filter can also be added in extreme conditions. Please explain your reasoning I.e. Particulate size etcetera. I have been running K&N filters in place of oem's on just about everything I own for over a decade in some very nasty conditions with no problems.

·
Registered
228 Posts

I would consider the testing circumstances to be extreme and would use a pre filter on any kind of filter in that instance. I still don't think this relates to the everyday use that I do. I was not swayed and will continue to use properly oiled K&N filters.

·
Registered
46 Posts
K&N was used in desert storm to protect the military equipment from the desert sand. I doubt the CXT would present a greater challenge than that. I have been using K&N for over 25 years with success. While I understand my setup will not suit everyone, it vastly improves performance and reduces turbo lag. I remove the entire stock airbox and install a K&N on the end of the intake tube. I do not sell K&N filters anymore because I cannot get a resellers discount. I will lookup the K&N part numbers for the 500 and 650. The 500 uses uses a smaller metal intake tube and the 650 has a larger diameter plastic tube. The 500 tube is 1 5/8", and the 650 is 1 3/4". You can fine suitable filters listed in Tucker-Rocky or Dennis Kirk's motorcycle catalogs or supplier of your preference.

Dan Topping - CXTC's Parts & Accessories, Inc.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Hi Dan,

Great to see you back on the forum.

My main concern with this modification is the sudden stop that these turbocharger's make when you get off the gas.

It's already bad enough with the reed valve system in place, how is it after the reed valve is removed and it simply vents to the atmosphere with no restriction?

(long term effects)

P.S.- did you get my message about the CX650T turbocharger?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi Dan,

Great to see you back on the forum.

My main concern with this modification is the sudden stop that these turbocharger's make when you get off the gas.

It's already bad enough with the reed valve system in place, how is it after the reed valve is removed and it simply vents to the atmosphere with no restriction?

(long term effects)

P.S.- did you get my message about the CX650T turbocharger?
Hi Tim, The stop is no different. The reed valves just attempt to silence the back pressure chuffing you hear otherwise without the airbox installed. I will be installing a blow-off valve soon to vent the pressure and not stall the impeller. There has been no indication of any problems associated with running the bike with no airbox and using a single K&N on the end of the intake tube. I just get a chuffing sound when backing off the throttle when shifting.

I want to respond to your e-mail about the turbocharger, which e-mail address shall I use, let me know? I have the turbo sitting here next to my desk ready to go. I do have another should this one pose any unforeseen issues. It came off a running parts bike.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I want to respond to your e-mail about the turbocharger, which e-mail address shall I use, let me know? I have the turbo sitting here next to my desk ready to go. I do have another should this one pose any unforeseen issues.

Hi Dan,

Use the operavoice address, it's also the one I use for paypal.

As long as there is no play in the bearings on either side, it should be good to go.

Mine is so bad that the bearings are shot on the intake side.

Which copper gaskets am I going to need for the swap?

(I still haven't found mine, although they could be in my CX500T spare parts box in storage).

Incidentally, when you do the BOV, take LOTS of pictures along the way, I want to make the mod myself.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Although I do not have a turbo, I purchased a K & N Filter for my Custom. It says right on the package that the filter has to be oiled before use. I have had other users of K & N products for cars tell me they were oiled when new. So why the descrepency?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Because K&N has no idea how long the item will sit on a shelf before purchase and installation. The K&N is basically cotton fiber between two layers of metallic screen. If the filter after unwrapping is white it has no oil applied. Just take the small vial of RED oil and apply it according to the instructions and you will be set to go. If the filter cotton is RED when unwrapped, it has been pre-oiled. "Why" is something I can't answer. BTW, never used compressed air to blow across the K&N, this will destroy it. The clean and reconditioning kit uses dry cleaning fluid to clean the filter and then after drying, the RED filter oil must be re-applied.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Unifilter here in Hornsby, NSW.(Oz) make the foam-plastic "sock" to replace the filter element on the standard metal cage for a CX500T, and sell it as a separate item. How do I know? I loaned them one of my metal filter frames for them to make their first filter element, for which I got the first element free.

Two of our CX500T owners - with bikes from which the standard airfilter setup had been removed - have subsequently REPLACED the whole original setup, mainly due to not liking the chuff and other noises that the K&N setup gives.

If you take heed of the remarks that Ron Graf made on the TMIOA site - regarding how the metal filter body must be made to sit correctly inside the airfilter box - then you should have no problems with dust bypassing the filter, and causing damage to your turbo and engine, when using them in a dusty environment.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.