Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I remember seeing this in the old forum.

Anyway, I took the bike out last night, first time in cool weather ~ 44 degrees F, I shift from first to second and I go to accelerate in second and it slips out into neutral.

All summer and all last year, I had no problems with this and it downshifts into second fine. Anybody have a reason why it would slip out of second into neutral?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
whats weird mine used to do the same thing what i found worked is i tightened up the foot shifter and it never has happened sense so i would check that out its a 10mm by the way

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Might need to adjust that clutch freeplay on the front of the motor and the clutch handle. See the quick reference thread under general discussion for the shop manny instructions
HTH

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats weird mine used to do the same thing what i found worked is i tightened up the foot shifter and it never has happened sense so i would check that out its a 10mm by the way
The nut on the shifter lever?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
on the nut the nut that goes thru the foot shifter lever here let me go take a pic for ya

ok here are the pics

there ya go

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Odd that

I do recall similer problms that were due to the lever not being able

to lift fully due to wear, misaligment or something

dont recall the weather having an effect though.

I wonder if it could be down to technique/habit and thicker oil due

to the longer weather?

1st to 2nd is the most common time to miss gear due to passing through neutral

perhaps, if the lever isnt fouling or slack on the splines, you tried a more deliberate up shift from one to two.

Some people keep the lever up longer while changing to 2nd rather than giving it a quick nudge

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2nd gear had slipped into neutral a couple times in the past and ever since, I do what Reg in Bristol recommends -- I deliberately shift firmly into 2nd. Also, I removed my shift lever and bent it a little bit in a vice to correct damage from the previous owner. It's harder to bend than it might appear but that and the careful shifting make it so that I no longer slip out of 2nd.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I had a similar problem with one of my CX's. I was afraid it was in the transmission itself. It would slip from first to neutral, and from second to neutral. Not always, but often enough to be very bothersome. I removed the rear cover to look at the linkage and discovered that the finger with the roller that engages into depressions on the shifter drum had rounded over and slipped off the depression ring. So the center part of the roller finger was the only thing that was keeping the transmission in the proper gear.

I had a better finger in one of the other transmissions and installed it in the proper position and have had no problems since.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
An oil change will improve shifting if it's (the oil change) is overdue.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yup, I think I read a post the other day where a guy changed to Rotella 15W40 and his shifting improved dramatically.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reg in Bristol -- My Zundapp Bella is a real head turner and its my main transportation here in Stockholm. The scoot is slow but comfortable. Parts are difficult to come by. Also, it's quite a bit heavier than it looks but it's very lovable anyway.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
A word of caution, the bolt goes all the way through the shift lever and through a notch

in the tranny shaft and the lever will not come off the shaft unless the bolt is completely removed.

You may need to slip the lever a notch or so on the splines, the lever may be contacting the motor

housing before the transmission is fully in gear. Just a thought but.... I know this from experience.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all of the advise guys. I deliberately held second until I let out the clutch and it went in fine.

I guess a little more investigation is required.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts