Honda CX 500 Forum banner
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Not all snowmobile states require sled insurance, but in Vermont where I ride insurance is required. Same as a mc I suppose. Sled trails frequently cross roads, just fyi. And a 40mph head on is 80 mph of impact. 😬. My faster 25 year old sled will still go 90+. 😬. I kind of like that insurance is required.

Reactions: Gerard

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E 96 St1100
2,171 Posts
Manged to get in a 86 kilometer ride yesterday ,went out to Delta Port which is in the middle of Georgia Strait
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,566 Posts
I took Eccles to pick up the mail Friday and then for a short bomb outside of town to stretch its legs (5.6Km extra for a total of about 8.8Km from home to home). But it looks like I'll have to move snow before I go for the mail tomorrow; We have a snow squall warning today with poor visibility and possible accumulations of 30-50cm before it ends in the evening.

Kay tried to go to church this morning (in the car). It is normally a half hour trip each way but an hour after she left she was back home. She got half way there and between blowing snow and fog she couldn't see where the road was so she turned around.

And just 2 weeks ago the temps were in the mid teens and I was working in the garden in a t-shirt :-(

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E 96 St1100
2,171 Posts
Ah, Welcome to the Great White North!

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,043 Posts
My recent jaunts are 10-25 Mile local grocery getter/hardware store excursions. And it doubles as a pickup truck for a little handyman/construction work at one local park or another. Yes, you can carry 10 ft lumber across the back and hang a wheelbarrow on the rear rack for short distances. And 2 bags of concrete or 3 bags of potting soil or peat let you test the rear shock.

The last 2 nights, for some reason I saw about 5 deer either crossing of just ready to cross the road. Tonight was a nice 8-10 point in full head up alert glory, 10 ft from the road.

Aside from our Amish rally rides, I've been to VMD in y2k, rt 1 to New Haven, ct, lake George in 2001 and across rt 6 in PA a few yrs earlier.

·
Super Moderator
19,566 Posts
10 foot lumber across the rack? Better remember not to lean... ;-)

FWIW, I just stick one end in the sidecar's nose, wrap a bungee around it near the back of the sidecar and tie a red flag on the end if it's more than 8' long.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,043 Posts
Come to SW Colorado and see what scenery is :)
I can ride dirt or pavement from my house to Moab, UT, Durango, Crested Butte, Telluride, CO, all within 2-3 hours one way. Come to SW Colorado and see what scenery is :)
I can attest to your scenery. I did a little expedite delivery work with pickups and trailers. From PA, through St Louis, I had a delivery in Thompson falls, Mt, and a pickup in Roswell, NM. before a re-route through St Louis to pick a trailer from the separate delivery.

Travelling from western Mt I travelled through daho, provo and St lake city on rt 15 before cutting into Utah on old rt 6 below st lk city. Traversed through "Helper" down through Moab and red rocks area, through church rocks, billy the kid town, with a slight detour through 4 corners then on through Farmington, Albuquerque and Roswell.

The colors of the sandstone cliffs east of rt 15 at St lake city area, and the Moab/red rocks area can't be described.

But I've heard the same thing said of the rolling hills and valleys of Appalachia and especially rural pa in the fall.

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
Yesterday rode across town for supper. Too dark for photos. 😉

·
Super Moderator
19,566 Posts
In between the several types of precipitation that fell at various times today I took mine to get the mail. It was too gray out to go anywhere I didn't need to. The forecast calls for warm(ish) and sunny tomorrow but I seldom go anywhere on the weekend because the roads are clogged with people trying to escape the city for a couple of days (we refer to them as "lemmings"). And it might be the warmest day for a while so I want to get the Xmas lights up without freezing and probably help a neighbour move some big things in his garage so they can start parking the car inside (ours moved inside last weekend).

But Eccles will get some exercise again in a few days, if only to go for the mail (I generally do that 3 times per week).

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Took a ride round local coast road..phillip island....speed now limited to 80km/hr to protect the purple hen....a bird with no apparent sense of self preservation....possibly the epitome of "bird brain"...
But yup the coloured chicken was there first😉

Still an enjoyable ride...just kept it in 4th and concentrated on the buzzz...
Bird Photograph Green Blue Nature

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
IMO these low intensity “everyday” rides are worth writing about. Sharing them reinforces our sense of common interests, namely the twisted twins. Each ride, long or short, is a chance to smile and recharge our souls. 👍

Reactions: Gerard and CXPHREAK
61 - 75 of 75 Posts