Honda CX 500 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
My CX gets ridden regularly, gotta keep it exercised. I am fortunate to live in the middle of motorcycle heaven, southwest Colorado. We have "scenic byways", designated by the state of Colorado. San Juan scenic byway, West Elk scenic byway, and Unaweep scenic byway, all beautiful twisty roads outside of my front door. We've got plenty of pavement, but also a lot of dirt roads, hence I run street legal knobbies and double the fun on my scrambler. I can ride dirt or pavement from my house to Moab, UT, Durango, Crested Butte, Telluride, CO, all within 2-3 hours one way. Come to SW Colorado and see what scenery is :)
wow, can't even imagine having access to all those beautiful places!!! #jelly

Reactions: JeffN

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,566 Posts
I've been waiting to reply to this until I could say "Yes, I do". On Monday I took the GoldWing for a good run to pick up something I had ordered, planning to get it ready and move it to its winter home in the shed afterward but after fighting heavy winds I decided to get things ready but wait until Tuesday to move the bikes. Once the 'Wing was put away I moved the battery to Eccles, turned the petcock on and it started instantly but all I did was go down the driveway to turn around and head back into the garage, this time into my parking space.

Yesterday I rolled it outside and gave it the annual RustCheck spray, then went for the first real ride of the year, to pick up the mail (my 3 times per week 3.2 Km "commute" since retirement) and then a short run outside of town to make sure everything is running well. It felt good at speeds up to 100 Km/h and the "new" (old) exhaust system was much quieter than what it finished the season with in the spring.

I haven't been riding as much since I retired and don't drive to work every day, averaging about 500 Km per bike the last few years but I put 900 Km on the 'Wing this year so we'll see if my winter riding increases too.

BTW, my snow tires of choice are Kenda K270 front & rear and whatever is cheap on the sidecar (currently a Michelin City Pro). I haven't ridden in snow on 2 wheels with them but I used to know a fellow who did pretty regularly.
I understand that Anlas Winter Grip tires work well but they aren't exactly cheap.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E 96 St1100
2,171 Posts
Manged to get out for a short ride yesterday ,40 kilometers. Tried my new"Karbon" battery operated heated gloves i got from Costco. Kind of stiff but hands were nice and warm. Now to buy some extra batterys, on high they work for two hours. Was a bueatiful sunny day 4 C , bike likes the cold temps pulls way harder at that temp.

Reactions: LaGrasta

·
Super Moderator
6,120 Posts
I rode my rig to brunch today. It was overcast and cool. While eating, it began to snow. The ride home was on damp roads with snow gently falling.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Picked up the All balls bearing kit for the St1100 , then rode up the Sea to Sky highway to Squamish bc. Cheers

·
Registered
39 Posts
Took the T120 on a ride Sunday with a club I ride with.
The route included a ride on Fort Mountain road in north Georgia. It was pretty chilly with temps in the low 40’s untill we reached to top. The temp dropped 10 degrees and we found ourselves in a ice crystal wonderland.
Deep blue clear sky’s and a sparkly mist floating in the sunshine made it a spectacular ride
Sky Plant community Mountain Plant Cloud

Tire Wheel Sky Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Plant Sky Road surface Natural landscape Twig

·
Registered
463 Posts
Less than half the fuel price of me :(

·
Super Moderator
19,566 Posts
We woke yesterday to the view below. I didn't bother clearing the driveway before I went out to get the mail (one of the things I like about having a sidecar) but the temperature was just about freezing and I hadn't taken the time to move my stuff from the leather (spring/fall) jacket to the snowmobile (winter) jacket so I didn't go anywhere extra except up the new street next to ours to see how the brick layers are making out on the new houses being built (looks like they may need to tent the last one).
Snow Sky Tree Larch Cloud

·
Super Moderator
19,566 Posts
It looks nice but when more than a couple of inches accumulates you have to shovel it and when it gets cold enough for snow they put salt or brine on the roads to prevent ice and the salt contributes to vehicles rusting (oil spray helps but they still rust eventually).

And in spite of the efforts made to keep the roads clear you need to have 2 sets of tires for the car anyway (in my case I have a completely separate sidecar outfit for winter with knobby tires) in case you have to drive before the snow plow has been where you need to drive.

On the other hand, "drifting" around a corner on a sidecar outfit at walking speed in a few inches of snow while throwing up a "rooster tail" always makes me grin.

This might give you an idea of what it is like. I used to drive on some of the roads in this video when I drove Eccles to work every day

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Always wondered why Snow moblies aren't allowed on the road when the snow gets to deep for wheeled vehicles.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,457 Posts
There was a blizzard in Duluth one night when I lived there. The snowmobiles were the only things moving on the streets. They were rescuing stranded motorists and taking them home.

Reactions: Gerard and richnct

·
Super Moderator
19,566 Posts
Unlicensed and uninsured. Trail permits are just that and while you need insurance for using them on trails it doesn't cover them on the roads.
Besides, who determines when the snow is too deep? Unless there was a legal authority designated to approve it on an hour by hour basis you know some of these characters would go on the roads any time it snowed.

That said, I remember a time 25 years or so ago that people were pretty glad to see snowmobiles on the road. The weekend started off sunny, clear & mild so a lot of people from Toronto & area headed north to their cottages. The snow started Sunday afternoon, about when most of them were thinking about heading back home but within an hour or two about 6" per hour was falling on Highway 11 between Orillia and Gravenhurst and the plows couldn't keep up with it. With hundreds of cars stuck on the highway and temperatures dropping an emergency was declared but the authorities had no way to get the motorists to safety. The local snowmobile clubs volunteered to patrol the highways for stranded cars and ferry the people in them to community halls that were turned into emergency shelters for the night.

But that was a very rare case. In over 25 years of commuting in a rural area I think snow prevented me from driving my sidecar to work 4 or 5 times. In fact, the morning after those sledders were rescuing people an hour north of us the roads in our area were cleared, the school busses were running and I drove my sidecar outfit to work.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Guess we need to design or equipe a snowmoblie to be road legal and lobby the powers to insure them.. Here on the wet coast not much use for such a Vehicle. 7 C Here at Delta today ,tomorrows forcast is for 9C ,should be able to get a ride in tomorrow ,hopefully.

·
Super Moderator
19,566 Posts
I contemplated getting a snowmobile instead of a sidecar outfit for a winter vehicle once but when I thought about it there were too many days when I wouldn't want to go out on 2 wheels but there isn't enough snow for a sled.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,457 Posts
After I reclaim my garage from the woodshop and unpile my bikes, AND some snow melts off the streets, I might get back to riding. It's been a few weeks already.
I need to clean the carbs on the Grub. It was a complete dog on my last ride home from work, and on the short test ride a week later. The air cleaner looks good, so I think my mains are obstructed.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts