Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
CX500 Custom 1980
40 Posts
I don't do as many miles as i used to these days, i average less than 2,000 miles per year per bike but more like less than 1,000, i've got 3 other bikes and another being restored and tend to ride them in rotation so that they don't stagnate. Here's a picture of the CX on a ride this year, so it's not in my imagination.
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I’m pretty sure my 6k mile years are a thing of the past, but the memories sure aren’t! Now 2-3k (split between two bikes) is a great year for this old guy. Good on you!

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Actually, that is two bikes and three motors 😉, in my “active” garage bay. I’ve concluded I can’t ride more than two bikes at once. 😆

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Well sorta off-topic but my usual commute will be a few hundred miles today...have to take the CB to get Vass inspected as part of the registration process......

29C and sunny....ill be riding without plates....legally....as no inspectors locally...

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Interesting, here an unregistered vehicle must have a temporary regi$traction or be carried on a truck or trailer. I’ve had inspectors demand to be shown the truck or trailer in the parking lot (bike must always be unloaded and rolled into line at the inspection area first), not taking your word for it. Also had them put a hand on the engine to feel if an unregistered bike had been run (ridden there).

·
Super Moderator
23,937 Posts
Here you need a day permit for that.

They cost $65 but are payable on registration so I never paid for the one for the thingys numbers check.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E 96 St1100
2,171 Posts
Thanks for the response Blurredman about the tires in the snow.

Reactions: Blurredman

·
Registered
463 Posts
Interesting, here an unregistered vehicle must have a temporary regi$traction or be carried on a truck or trailer. I’ve had inspectors demand to be shown the truck or trailer in the parking lot (bike must always be unloaded and rolled into line at the inspection area first), not taking your word for it. Also had them put a hand on the engine to feel if an unregistered bike had been run (ridden there).

In the UK, for imported vehicles you can also do the same as Bahn. Insurance can be provided for the vehicle by using the VIN instead of the number plate. Then go for the initial MOT inspection and other various inspections if required. A friend does this a lot on 80's American cars to get them UK registered but initially it's funny to see them on Saudi plates...

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Sorry to Rich for thread hijack...bike passed.
the inspector had a 1979cb750cafe...and some modded bikes of his own and ambitions for a Phillip island track bike....
A thorough gentleman..the inspector....not Bahn😄... ill post on the Aussie register as a recommendation.

·
Registered
CX650C
103 Posts
I don't do as many miles as i used to these days, i average less than 2,000 miles per year per bike but more like less than 1,000, i've got 3 other bikes and another being restored and tend to ride them in rotation so that they don't stagnate. Here's a picture of the CX on a ride this year, so it's not in my imagination. View attachment 216897
Hi there. Passed your Place this Summer on a 4tk- Trip up to Scotland and back to Germany.
Wife and me are doing about 10tk each per Year. All 4 Bikes are registered all Year round. We had plenty of Fun at Christmas Eve with 18° Celsius.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I haven't commented in a while, but I've put over 25k on mine, mostly with two cross-country trips. Most recent long(ish) trip: in September a friend and I rode up to Montreal from NYC, picked up my girlfriend, and all rode back :) I've hardly done anything to the bike in the last year or two and she still works perfectly!

Just a couple days ago I did an emergency delivery mission from Brooklyn to the West Side for some friends on a video shoot who'd forgotten their microphones...she gets through traffic pretty good too ;)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Ridem'? only for tire maintenance, to keep the rubber evenly worn across the entire contact surface. 🙃

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

·
Registered
95 Posts
I haven't commented in a while, but I've put over 25k on mine, mostly with two cross-country trips. Most recent long(ish) trip: in September a friend and I rode up to Montreal from NYC, picked up my girlfriend, and all rode back :) I've hardly done anything to the bike in the last year or two and she still works perfectly!

Just a couple days ago I did an emergency delivery mission from Brooklyn to the West Side for some friends on a video shoot who'd forgotten their microphones...she gets through traffic pretty good too ;)
I'm glad to see you're still out there! I really enjoyed following your cross country adventures.

I bought mine when I was 29 and used it during good weather to commute 50 miles / day to work for about 38 years. But, for the past 5 years in retirement, I've been taking scenic rides with a friend all over New England about once a week. Most are within 75 miles of Boston but we've been all over the Cape, NH, VT, CT and RI. Most of the rides are coastal because we are lucky enough to live in a coastal community and on back roads which is the forte' of the CX. The Ultra Classic is reserved for highway trips.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm glad to see you're still out there! I really enjoyed following your cross country adventures.

I bought mine when I was 29 and used it during good weather to commute 50 miles / day to work for about 38 years. But, for the past 5 years in retirement, I've been taking scenic rides with a friend all over New England about once a week. Most are within 75 miles of Boston but we've been all over the Cape, NH, VT, CT and RI. Most of the rides are coastal because we are lucky enough to live in a coastal community and on back roads which is the forte' of the CX. The Ultra Classic is reserved for highway trips.
Hah, that's cool that you still remember! Glad you enjoyed following along. It's been too long since I took a long ride...so to remedy that, a couple friends and I are going down to South America for a month this winter to ride around (not on the CX). Should be interesting :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
My CX gets ridden regularly, gotta keep it exercised. I am fortunate to live in the middle of motorcycle heaven, southwest Colorado. We have "scenic byways", designated by the state of Colorado. San Juan scenic byway, West Elk scenic byway, and Unaweep scenic byway, all beautiful twisty roads outside of my front door. We've got plenty of pavement, but also a lot of dirt roads, hence I run street legal knobbies and double the fun on my scrambler. I can ride dirt or pavement from my house to Moab, UT, Durango, Crested Butte, Telluride, CO, all within 2-3 hours one way. Come to SW Colorado and see what scenery is :)

21 - 40 of 75 Posts