Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are so few comments or stories about actually riding these bikes that I sometimes think Connecticut, USA is the only place they are actually taken out on the street? Put down the wrenches, point the beast down the road and tell us about it! I try to ride around my area for fun and errands 3-4 times a week, did an 800+ mile ride with Bill thru out New England states last month, and did a lunch ride with Bro Dave/CX 650E and Dave L/‘79 CX500 Deluxe and my ‘80 CX500 Deluxe. It’s autumn here and for me, riding the leaf sprinkled back roads watching the leaves in my mirrors swirl up behind me is pure ecstasy! I’m still riding on my “temporary” motor and with a rust hole in the bottom of the H-box, it clearly announces it’s intention to stay in the lead 👍. I figure I got all winter to wrench on it!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Of course we ride them! I just rode mine today, in fact.

Here's the real problem with what you're asking for:

Nothing Happened.

I rode to church. I filled up on fuel. I went home. The most noteworthy thing that happened was that I noticed my odometer broke sometime in the last hundred miles or so.

The last 3.5k miles have been the same thing, too - I ride to town, go to church, run a few errands, and go home. Not particularly interesting if you ask me.

I'd imagine 99% of riders here have the same experience. Our rides just aren't interesting enough to post about.

Of course, if you're looking for a Moto-vlog featuring the Twisted Twin, you're welcome to give it a shot yourself!

P.S. (Edit)
It's storytelling 101: make a character that people like, and then make uncomfortable things happen to them. Name me a novel, movie, or TV show where nothing happens.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Gotta disagree with post 2...every ride into town is different.....from the occasional "i didnt see him" /non-motorcycle aware driver...to the dog that wants to bite the front tire....to the nail that gives you a flat in the rain....😄

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, I miss Ron/PA, Gene/TN, Dave/GA, David/WI among others. Wrenchers all, but riders first. I’m fortunate to have two brothers and a few friends around New England who are fun to ride with. Wrenchers all, but riders first. We seem to have MC adventures when we ride. Sometimes it’s bad fun, misadventures if you will, they’re the most memorable I think. I do post about a couple of them most years. My point is, as a group, we post about wrenching in some form about 95% of the time, and I’m reminding whoever might benefit from my observations that wrenching IS NOT THE REASON MOST OF US HAVE MOTORCYCLES! Wrenching can be satisfying yes, but riding can be THRILLING!

Reactions: TonyG

·
Super Moderator
23,945 Posts
I ride most days for general stuff but don't get to go that far most of the time.

While I spend a lot more time working on, rather than riding them I like both equally.

About to take the thingy for a shakedown.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,462 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,462 Posts
I frequently ride to work. It's always therapeutic, but usually not all that interesting. Posting my daily commute would be like sharing pictures of my lunch. Would anyone really care?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gotta disagree with post 2...every ride into town is different.....from the occasional "i didnt see him" /non-motorcycle aware driver...to the dog that wants to bite the front tire....to the nail that gives you a flat in the rain....😄
...and the half-dozen people who must pass me because I'm obeying the speed limit... the tractor plodding down the road with a crazy metal death-trap in tow... and why did the chicken/deer/rabbit/squirrel/raccoon/skunk/pig/coyote try to cross the road right there?

Oh, and who can forget HOLY S**T THERE'S GRAVEL IN THE CORNER!!!

Also, I live in California where fuel prices have been averaging $5.40/g for the past six months, so pleasure rides have been suspended for the time being.

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E 96 St1100
2,171 Posts
I hope 60,000+ kilometers in Six years counts as yes i ride my bike often enough. Problem I have is I hate stopping to take pictures ,when I do getting my phone to tranfer to my overloaded with juke tablet is taking to much time. On the plus side this Spring Wife and I bought Property in Williams lake bc. 600 kilometer ride on some of B.C. s most scenic roads .We bought a travel trailer as well for the place so we can get away from the big city. Will attach pictures soon as I get them tranfered to this tablet. Cheers

Reactions: richnct

·
Registered
1982 CX500C
99 Posts
My goal was to make it my commuter and I managed to get it on the road for a couple weeks before my planned knee surgery. Next season it'll be my main ride! Hit me up if your New England rides take you to your northern neighbors

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E 96 St1100
2,171 Posts
Blurredman , what tires were/are useing in the snow?

·
Registered
335 Posts
Admittedly of the 3 in my stable, the GL500 got the fewest miles this year. Which is still probably close to 2500 miles or so. More than USA average motorcycle mileage, but still not what I consider a lot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
⬆This⬆

I tried riding in the snow with street tires once. Never again.

Problem I have is I hate stopping to take pictures
This too. When I ride, I'm either going somewhere or I'm riding because I want to ride, not because I want to take pictures.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went for a 40 mile rural ride mostly on woodsey town roads late this afternoon because I had an hour between cleaning gutters and showing a rental. And it’s forecast to be much cooler starting tomorrow. I’ve gotten to really enjoy 45 mph riding on 30 mph posted roads. Not reckless really, but a lot of fun. Visited a small state park lake I was last at 55 years ago. 😳. It was pretty dark the last 15 minutes home bound, but little traffic. It’s easier to ride for fun when you’re riding for fun (Yogi Berra?), because you can choose fun roads. Necessary riding often dictates less fun roads. Expensive gasoline is often used as the justification to ride more, not less. 🤷🏻‍♂️ Now, four hours later and near bedtime, I’m still enjoying that ride. And the way the Honda slips between the gears 😁. And the way the rust hole in the H-box speaks to me “out there”. No pics, but you get the picture.

·
Premium Member
12,462 Posts
I tried riding in the snow with street tires once. Never again.
I've been caught by snow a couple times. The worst part is how long and cold my short commute becomes at the low speeds required.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Cloud Plant Sky Tree Road surface

It doesn't look like this currently, but I ride this road every time I go anywhere.

Pros: Very rural and scenic; little to no traffic; fresh country air

Cons: Potholes, Potholes, Potholes, Potholes, Potholes, Potholes, Potholes, Potholes, Potholes, Potholes...

...and potholes. Seriously, until recently this road looked like it got into a fight with an A-10c Warthog. Another resident once counted (very patiently) over 600 potholes in a 3-mile stretch.

It's still pretty when it's green, though...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Rode 1,800 miles from Houston to Big Bend NP, and then toured west Texas on my GL with some friends from the C-suites of Exxon. They all rode expensive bikes. Whenever we would stop to eat, my GL 500 with a basket with a backrest on the rear would be the bike bystanders most admired. It drove them crazy that my $1,300 antique Honda looked more interesting their shiny new 2, 4 and 6-cylinder BMW's and Buells and a V-Rod.
When we rode up the road to the Davis Observatory, it got quite steep, the grade seemed like a 45-degree slope although I know that's not possible. I heard the rear end grind out. At the bottom of the hill I stopped and pulled the inspection cover off and found pretty little flakes all over the insides. What the hell, kept riding. It will either get me home or it won't. either way, I couldn't do anything about it.
Near Pecos one of the two bolts holding the brake cylinder fell off somewhere so every time I used the front brake the cylinder would jump up. Stopped at a filling station across from an old petroleum junkyard and met the proprietor, an ancient cowboy. He invited me to try to find a bolt in his junkyard full of US machinery. I found one that was likely and it fit, for almost two turns, being SAE, but it held there all the way home.
My possie got homesick and was doing 90 plus and I could keep up by occasionally dropping a gear on upgrades because I had done the 650 clutch mod years ago and I had the 18-inch rear wheel that allows a tire that leaves absolutely no clearance to the rear fork. These two mods dropped my RPM to about 1,000 less than my speed so at 90, I had 2000 RPM to spare from redline.
That rear end made it almost a thousand miles before I replaced it thanks to the Photo Doctor on this forum. It never leaked and never quit, just filled itself with sparkly bits while it took me home.
Great trip, great fun, Iron Butt!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Looking at my records of the time, the front was an Avon Roadrider AM26 and the rear a Bridgestone BT45.

I was travelling from Belgrade in Serbia to Sarajevo (Bosnia) and the only roads are over the mountain. It took a long time despite being a very short distance, and the Police did pull me over at one point but they couldn't/didn't stop me from carrying on up the moutain. It did get a lot worse after this picture was taken, but much like others I don't actually like to stop when I'm riding unless it's for a wee. Besides, if I was to stop I wasn't sure i'd be able to get going again.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts