Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know if? => start/kill switch

Went out this morning to fire up the 650 turbo to drive it to work. Turned on the ignition, waited for the self test and fuel pump prime, pressed the start button and the plastic start switch fell to the ground, Bummer, Not sure what I did to deserve that one.

So, now I cannot start the bike.

I was wondering if at least temporarily If I could get away with a right side control from a different bike until I round one up or repair mine. Anyone know of one that would fit the handlebars, accept the Push/Pull Throttle arrangement, and luckily even happen to mate with the wiring harness? Heck, they are just a couple switches.

Seems to be a lot from a normally aspirated CX bike relatively CHEAP. Anyone know if they would work.

I know I have some spare Kawasaki Turbo ones in my parts bin, I will look at those, who knows, maybe I can make them work.

·
Registered
178 Posts
It seems common at CX650TC. My friends had similar troubles.
CX041.JPG
CX042.JPG
CX20456.jpg
Shape of CX650TC's self starter switch has tensile weakness.
This switch was modified and used follower models such as V45 interceptor, VF1000R.

If you don't need to stick with an original shape, I recommend to swap with other models.
And if you want to stay with an original look, I advise to reconstruct switch by updated and stiffer materials.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here are some pics of my situation. Below is the parts that I found. Based on the info in the thread posted by Tim, It appears I am missing the Brass slider. I have not found it yet. Its tough when you do not know what your looking for. Today I found the little black spring. I thought I was doing pretty good finding that. Will look more tomorrow.

below is a close up of the switch. You can see that the pivot bar is broken off on both sides. Could be interesting trying to fix. I may try cutting out the rest of the plastic rod and replacing it with some sort of a metal rod. I could use JB Weld like the person did in the thread referenced by Tim. Looks like he drilled a hole through and then put in part of a metal hanger then used JB Weld to strengthen it all up.

The real problem at this point is that I am not sure how it all goes together. Even if I find the brass slider, not sure exactly how it all goes together. Then there is the comment from the other post implying that it is not easy to put it together even when you do know how it all fits.

If I cannot find the brass rod, I am thinking about buying something similar but cheap. I am hoping that the concept is the same and I can use the parts, "the brass slider" out of the switch to repair the cx650t one. we will see how it goes.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In the meantime, carry a pair of pliers with you and jump the starter solenoid to get you to where you need to go. Just don't do it on the threads.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
couple more pieces located. Looks like I can start the procedure by ringlada

Note that at this point, I am still missing the brass slider. I cant believe I have not found this yet. It is the biggest part. I will looks some more. This is an important part of the whole project.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally found the slider. Was not quite off to the side of where all the other parts were. either I kicked it with my shoe or it bounced on the cement. Looks like one of the tabs are bent so I probably stepped on it. I now have all the parts and can try to repair in a similar fashion to the method posted by a different forum member.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts