Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ran out of gas on the way to work today, had to push the bike about a 1/2 of a mile to the gas station. A little of that was uphill. Man you really start to appreciate how much power and its ability to do tangible work that a pint or even a cupful of gasoline is capable of doing when you have to do it instead.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put a different tank off of my parts bike on this year and I guess the little tube must be loose inide it because when i swithced to reserve there was no reserve left. i think I will fill up an old quart of oil with gas and throw in in the trunk or zip tie it to the frame or something.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You could stash some in where the useless tool kit goes, or there's a bit of room under the seat.

Ideally you'd want something flexible like a tiny fuel cell.

Anyone know what the dimensions are for the toolkit area? Could you fit a pint bottle of rubbing alcohol in there?

A quart? A 20 oz Coke bottle?

·
Registered
1980 Honda CX500C
307 Posts
You could stash some in where the useless tool kit goes, or there's a bit of room under the seat.

Anyone know what the dimensions are for the toolkit area? Could you fit a pint bottle of rubbing alcohol in there?

coke bottles dont work. the seal in the lid deteriorates in about a half-day from gas. ive tried it when i go dirtbike riding....lets just say i got lucky that after it leaked, nobody near me was smoking LOL

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I do NOT mean to sound like an ass by saying this but man, you gotta know how many miles you can go on a tank, use your "trip meter" so you know how many miles you've gone.

If ya run out of gas on a bike or in a car it's really silly and ya probably deserve it for "letting" it happen. I mean I'm SURE when someone runs out of gas they had to know there was a chance it could happen and I'm sure most think to themselves "I knew I should have added some at that last gas station I saw but didn't".

I've had my bike almost 3 years and have never even had to use the "reserve" feature....I just won't let it happen.

Anyway, lesson learned for ya and good luck next time !!

No offense and just sayin.

EDIT: I guess what I mean by this is unless you're in the desert where there's no gas for 200 miles, there's really no excuse....and in that event I wouldn't ride in the desert

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

i travel no where without my fuel bag,fits anywhere

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
my fuel bag

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fair enough. It is pretty much a product of my own stupidity. I put a different tank on and didn't know reserve didn't work I have been doing a lot of tuning on the garage not really riding it so mileage is a mute point and anyway that little knob on the trip meter is busted off. Every time I fill up I make a mental note of the mileage but my feeble mind prohibits me from recalling it next time I fill up and we do it all over again. By the way this is not the first time I have had to push my bike to work.
what fun would life be if it was all predictable. What is this fuel bag? Do you squeeze that under your seat or something? Looks really big and easy to rub/poke/pinch a hole in if it is squirreled away on the bike.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I like this post for a lot of reasons...it really brought home the point of the power in fossil fuels, and a renewed appreciation for planning but I think the majority have been caught by surprise at least once.

I was thinking about some of the options for storing fuel that were presented and though its an interesting idea to store some reserve fuel on board, make sure you are using a container designed for the storage of gasoline. I've seen guys store a quart of oil in the engine compartment for the sake of convenience, one of which led to a total loss. Slow leak, fuel, hot surfaces, oxygen, all the things needed for a great fire.

I like the fuel bag...pretty awesome. Thought provoking thread.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I believe the Canadian fuel bag is intended to be used as a portable gas can to walk down to the nearest station?

One idea for those who have broken trip odometers beyond fixing their odometer, stop at local office supply joint and buy yourself a black dry erase ink marker or a wax pencil. You can then write down the last three digits of your primary odometer mileage right on the face of the odometer at each fillup.

Beats pushin' these things.

I too am in the 'never switched to reserve' club on any of my bikes. I have always had and enjoyed working odometers.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You could always carry a stove fuel bottle for camping. They hold about a liter, usually, and are designed to carry fuel without deteriorating. Won't fit in the "toolbox" space under the side cover, but won't take up too much room in a saddlebag.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I'm with Gusbratz & Rick (& others) on this one - BE CAREFUL!

Whatever you use remember that going down the road that container is gonna move a little and could eventually rub a hole.

Or burn a hole from some other source. Or get punctured from a rock or flying road debri......

Shouldn't this container be some kinda metal or really tough polymer (or whatever plastic type tanks are made of)?

Or better yet - hasn't somebody way smarter than me devised a retro fit fuel guage for our bikes?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
coke bottles dont work. the seal in the lid deteriorates in about a half-day from gas. ive tried it when i go dirtbike riding....lets just say i got lucky that after it leaked, nobody near me was smoking LOL

Believe it or not a cigarette will not ignite gasoline, they burn below the flash point of gasoline.

There's an old "you're crazy and they run" trick I've see some people pull. They put a bucket with some gas in it then start flipping their still burning cigarette butts at it. Even if the hit the edge and spark it won't ignite the gas.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Yeah,,I always laugh when I see an explosion on TV or in a movie caused by a cigarette

thrown into gas. The gas will put the cigarette out.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
yep i ran like shit when my father lit some gas on fire once......then i found out its only the vapors that are the issue if its in an open area you are safe......

·
Registered
195 Posts
You could always carry a stove fuel bottle for camping. They hold about a liter, usually, and are designed to carry fuel without deteriorating. Won't fit in the "toolbox" space under the side cover, but won't take up too much room in a saddlebag.

+1

Camp stove fuel containers can be found at just about any camping/outdoor supply store.

Also, remember to mix some stabilizer with the fuel when you fill the container, or try to remember to use the contents periodically and replenish with fresh fuel. You don't want it sitting in there for months untreated.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Fair enough. It is pretty much a product of my own stupidity. I put a different tank on and didn't know reserve didn't work I have been doing a lot of tuning on the garage not really riding it so mileage is a mute point and anyway that little knob on the trip meter is busted off. Every time I fill up I make a mental note of the mileage but my feeble mind prohibits me from recalling it next time I fill up and we do it all over again. By the way this is not the first time I have had to push my bike to work.
what fun would life be if it was all predictable. What is this fuel bag? Do you squeeze that under your seat or something? Looks really big and easy to rub/poke/pinch a hole in if it is squirreled away on the bike.

Gus,

Just to let ya know, I didn't mean for my response to sound as harsh as it might have appeared ! Having a broken odometer does make it a tad tougher to gauge your fuel !

Anyway lesson learned my friend and good luck in the future !

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
By the way this is not the first time I have had to push my bike to work.
Gus,that bag is not intended to store fuel

is also not intended to carry fuel on your bike,or car for that much.

where it comes into its own........

it folds up really small,hides anywhere on your bike.when you do run out of fuel[ok,you were a mile]could you,or would you want to push your bike 8 miles uphill to the nearest gas station.?i doubt it.

i have run out of fuel,through a leak.called a cab,armed with my bag.6 mile return journey 8 euros...im back on the road in 30 minutes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts