Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Always lock the fork.

The cure for keys coming out of ignition is the replace the ignition and reduce the numbers of keys on the ring. The tumblers and pins are worn out.

The cure for key bouncing is to simplify the key ring. Reduce to a light weight fob, ignition key and house key. All the other keys you need can ride in your pocket.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No fork lock after swapping on the RM250 forks - I had to cut the tab off and there's nowhere to put the ignition cylinder up there anyway. On my other bikes equipped with a lock, I do lock them up, but it's really only a deterrent for the laziest of thieves.

·
Registered
99 Posts
If some scum wants your bike, they will get it.

The only thing a locked fork does is to make swiping it more difficult.

The key to lessen the chances of your stuff being taken is to make the other guy an easier target.

A thief is looking for a quick, easy grab and go.

Make your stuff a harder target.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks, for your voting, and your thoughts, guys.

I realize, this would require lengthening the harness, to the switch. So, even, if I decide to make this mod, I'd need a lot of down time.
So, who knows.

Appreciate, everyone's help,
EJ

·
Super Moderator
13,032 Posts
If you do decide to go ahead with it here are a couple of things that may simplify the job:
1) The Parking light feature (& the Park position on the keyswitch) is not required in North America so you can bypass that circuit by simply disconnecting the brown wires (tail light) and the brown/white wire (fused, switched power that the keyswitch connects the brown to in On and Park positions) from the keyswitch and connecting them directly together.
2) Unless you use the accessory connection point (fused green/black wire under the tank) to power something you want to be able to use when the power to everything else is shut off (keyswitch in Accessory position) you can ignore that circuit too.
3) On a TI bike like yours that leaves only a single contact that connects the red wire (power from battery/charging system) to the black (switched positive) when the key is On.
This means you don't need a complicated original type of keyswitch for that and only need to run 2 wires to the keyswitch. (Its a bit more complicated on a CDI bike but the switches I used have that capability).

I have a CT70 reproduction keyswitch (usually about $10 US on eBay) on my GoldWing that I was able to re-key to match the rest of the bike's locks. I had the same type of keyswitch on Eccles until I needed to replace the gas cap and bought a repro lock set (gas cap, keyswitch, helmet lock) made for a CMX250 (250 Rebel) so I would no longer need 2 keys.
(I didn't get keys with the parts bike so when I changed to the tall trunk lid from it and couldn't get the original lock apart to re-key I had to use a cam lock for the upper lid and I need 2 keys again - you can't have everything :rolleyes:)
I can post pics if you want to see what they look like.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks, Bob. This does give me some things to think about. This, all, would make it a lot easier to pick out a simple switch, for On/Off. And, still, keep the O.E. switch in place, for fork lock. Yeah, would require 2 keys. But, I could live with that. Or, did you say, there's a key switch available that could be re-keyed, to allow a single key setup?

EJ

·
Super Moderator
13,032 Posts
I should mention that, while I am by no means a locksmith my Dad was and I inherited some tools & supplies that make it easier for me to re-key locks than it is for the average person.

I bought my new keyswitches on eBay. In Automotive>Parts & Accessories>Motorcycle parts use the keywords key switch Honda and of course sort by Price + Shipping:lowest first. Scroll down until you find the style you want to use and one with a key that looks like it will fit your original lock's keyway (the hole you insert the key in).
This is where it becomes a bit of a gamble:
1) Most Honda bike locks with double edged keys use one of 2 keyways which are similar but the offset is in the opposite direction (this is why the ones I originally bought couldn't be re-keyed to match the original locks).
2) Most of these inexpensive locks can be fairly easily disassembled but I can't promise the one you get will be easy to open up.
3) You may or not be able to re-key it without parts. These locks use stamped metal slides with fairly precisely located holes that match the notches in the key. When the correct slides are placed in the slots and the key is inserted the ends of the slides will be even with the surface of the cylinder so that it can turn in the lock. If you get really lucky you may be able to simply rearrange the slides to match your bike's original key. If you can get it close you can file the ends of a couple of them down to make it work;
Note: That will decrease security slightly becauset there are other Honda keysthat someone could use in your bike (there are only so many different slide combinations so a lot of other bikes take the same key as yours) and the lock could be a bit easier to pick but if someone is working at it with lock picks or trying multiple other keys it won't make much difference.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm familiar with re-keying locks. Although, I've only done it a few times. Just for fun.
I, actually, used to cut keys, when I worked for NAPA. Mainly, because no one else wanted to. But, I enjoyed it.
Only wished I had bought the machine and stock of keys, when they decided to stop providing that service.

Thanks, again.

EJ

21 - 29 of 29 Posts