Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to make things clear, I'm contemplating moving my ignition switch to the fairing. (I don't like the keys and key ring, bouncing and rattling on my handle bar and fuse cover. PO installed a chrome fuse cover.)

Anyway, I don't know if I want to have two switches, one to lock the forks and one to lock the electrical. Or, just, the electrical and not worry about locking the forks.

Not looking for your location, or any of that nonsense, just wondering if I should be concerned about theft.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Only have the Key and a ring with a honda tab for my ignition switch any more and you risk losing the keys going over a bump.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I've heard of garage break-ins and the thieves just rolling the bike away. Why make it easy for them?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I guess you could use a break disk lock or chain. But why?

·
Super Moderator
13,482 Posts
I no longer have fork locks on either of my bikes but they also have sidecars so not everyone knows how to drive them so I don't worry about it.

When I had 2 wheeled bikes I did occasionally lock the forks if I was somewhere where I was concerned but not very often.

Locks only stop crimes of opportunity. No lock will stop someone that is determined and knows what they are doing.

Gerard: You should not be able to remove the key when it is in any position other than Off, Lock or Park. If your keyswitch is loose enough that the key could come out when you hit a bump it is probably time to replace it.
BTW: I agree that hanging a lot of weight on the keyswitch isn't a good idea. I keep my keys on clips that can clip to a D ring on my belt (they hang into the pocket but don't wear out the bottom of it). Each clip has only keys that are related (e.g. for the same bike) so there will be at most 2 keys plus the clip together (not a lot of weight to hang from the keyswitch) and I only carry the key(s) for the bike I am on with me.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Yeah ,along time ago my Cbx550f the key would come out in any position, so that started the habit of only the key to run the bike in the ignition and carry a spare in my wallet or on the belt clip. My locksmiths pet peeve are massive key chains hanging off the ignition lock, wears the lock out in no time. Also a worn key not a good thing for the lock either.
Ps Silvy's key stays in when it's supposed to, cheers

·
Super Moderator
13,482 Posts
A story went around decades ago (pre-internet) that a woman took her car to the mechanic because it kept stalling momentarily whenever she made a hard left turn. The mechanic couldn't make it do that so he asked her to drive while he observed. Sure enough, when she put the key on her ring in and drove she was able to repeat the symptom easily while the mechanic watched the heavy keyring swing to the right and turned the key in the keyswitch, momentarily killing the ignition (this was before they started mounting the keyswitch in the steering column).
smilie-Greis.gif

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I think it is highly unlikely that a "Pro" would be interested in most of our bikes.
Much more likely is an opportunistic Meth Head needing a couple hundred for a fix.

That is who is busting into my neighborhood's garages.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
doesn't sound like a very secure garages
Hard to protect a garage from a car crashing into it or breaking the door in with a sledge hammer.

The good thing currently, because everyone is at home, fewer burglaries, but more car hijacking and armed robberies.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
My E-Bike is probably a better target than a 37 tear old motorcycle. Easier to sell without a title and easier to transport. I'll ride my GL500 to the store, but not my e-Bike. I ride the old Mountain bike instead.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
People actually steal CX's?
Haha! My 22 year old Honda Civic has had its window smashed and steering column torn apart more than once. Easier to hotwire than newer cars. I keep a Club on the steering wheel now.

I guess the catalytic converter has more platinum in it too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts