Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
CX650 motor project into a CX500 Turbo Frame - ongoing
210 Posts
I'll probably just offset the wheel a little, but why do you think it wouldn't machine? Because there's a stud? It'll just turn out, it's threaded in a little deeper than it is tall.
Oh, that'd be awesome. I just assumed they were set in there somehow. Then yeah, super easy to turn it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I thought it rubbed or something why you needed it over. I'd still want to see that 200 on there though

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Cut the ends off of my R1 axle and had my machinist push some bushings in to I could use it as a sleeve for the Shadow's axle.

A real hangup on this has been finding a left side axle spacer for the R1. The few I could find were being sold for the cost of a small child...I just couldn't bring myself to pay more than $10 for the part. Eventually my brain said "hey I bet Craftsman mades a spacer!" No way, I thought, but went over to check my supply of Craftsman spacers and sure enough I had one sitting right there.

A little cutting and a little trimming and the stock shadow spacer plus a couple 20mm washers on both sides and the wheel actually sits center. I'm pretty sure the chain is lined up good, too...I'll know for sure tomorrow when my sprocket gets here.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·

I don't know what kind of kids you have, but those are pretty cheap

Well the first one wouldn't have worked because the spacer doesn't have the same step on it to clear the dust shield.

And the second one wouldn't have worked because those are for the front.

According to the R1 folks, in order to have made no other modifications I would have had to have an '04~05 spacer. The Craftsman socket worked just fine, though.

·
Registered
210 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Is that electrical tape on your socket?
Possibly? I'm pretty sure I have taped sockets in the past and I tend to lay tools and whatnot all over the place so there might be one in the picture with tape on it but I'll need you to specify which one you're talking about.

2005 YZF-R1 rear axle collar, part number 90387-28019-00 fits about two dozen bikes, from a 2001 FZ1 to 2014 R1 and a few R6s in between if Partzilla is to be trusted.
possibly...I've had a number of people say the '04/5 was specific and a number of others say it's the same. The links you posted earlier were to '15+, which have different wheels, and a front wheel.

Yeah and $25 after tax and shipping is more than I wanted to pay. I was willing to pay $10. You're trying to too hard to tear apart a joke.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wasn't trying to tear anything apart, was just trying to be helpful. You scrapped what might be a $10 socket so you didn't have to order a $12 part on ebay that actually fits. I'm not sorry I didn't get the joke.

I'll see myself out mate, no worries.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I feel like I've been looking at this bike for months without making much progress, and suddenly making up for it over a couple days haha.

I got the seat hoop done. It could be prettier but most of the "rough" is going to be hidden. There's a couple of braces that need to be added but I ran out of wire...will have to finish that stuff up in a couple weeks.

I got the rearsets set up as well...they'll look better when they're not blue. I really like the positioning but I don't think the shifter is going to work well. I'll have to tinker with that quite a bit.

I got my new sprocket in...I hope to get that on and a little of the wiring sorted out tomorrow then it'll be parked for a while as work interferes.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Why can't I get stuff done in a timely manner? Because of distractions. Today will be the last day I get to play in the shop for probably two weeks and I wanted to finish up the electronics tray and at least start on some wiring...but eight degrees outside and only a little warmer in the shop. I've always heated my shop with a waste oil burner and sometimes it works awesome but usually it makes a lot of smoke and not a lot of heat...so I spent most of my motorcycle time converting it to a wood stove :/...less time for motorcycles, but my shop was toasty.

Electronics tray is set up....I wanted to have had the harness unraveled and some of it tidied up but oh well.

Without much time to actually do any real work I decided to take stuff off I don't need. There's SO many hoses and unused brackets now...all emissions stuff.

One of the things that's baffled me about this engine since starting this project is that it's a 750 but it looks HUGE. It dawned on me while stripping off emmisisons hoses and brackets that this water cooled bike has air cooling fins on it...why? For looks. I'm not sure if I'll leave them off, though...the fins on the bottom are cast into the jug so they're there permanently and it looks a little goofy with half the fins. I'll decide later. The top end looks considerably cleaner, though, without the 500 tubes running around.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,455 Posts
I'm not sure if I'll leave them off, though...the fins on the bottom are cast into the jug so they're there permanently...
Not permanently. You just won't have the option to put them back.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts