Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some backstory: Picked up a Gl500/cx500 (Can anyone tell me which?) for $80 bucks, it was missing the left side cylinder head and looks like it was sitting outside for a while. The ring of rust was so bad I couldn't get it to turn over manually, so I cleaned up the rust as best I could with some PB blaster and a scotch bright pad, shot some compressed air into it, sprayed it with wd40 and wiped with a microfiber cloth. There's a bit of carbon build up left on it but it turns over like butter now.

Can I run this as is or should I get this cylinder honed? Honestly don't really care if it burns a little oil because I'll be amazed if I can get it to run at all considering the state of the bike. This is my first bike and my first project!
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part
Automotive tire Gas Automotive wheel system Machine Rim
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies! Happy this is a super active forum. The consensus seems to be to pull it and hone it if I want a happy engine. I’m going to drop the oil pan and see how it’s faired, hopefully no rust and debris sitting at the bottom. If it’s real nasty I think I’ll just pull the whole thing apart, but if not I’m planning on replacing all the gaskets I can get to easily, changing the stator, checking the timing chain and guides, disassembling the oil pump and I think I have to pull the lower rocker arms on the exposed piston side - I’m able to push one of them way far up compared to the others so I think the spring is shot.

A lot of random stuff was parted out before I bought it so I need to source a radiator, both wheels and basically all the lines for the cooling and fuel system including the petcock. My fuel tank is rusted to shit on the inside so I’m planning on filling it with vinegar and bolts and giving it a good soak and shake.

Stock carbs need to be rebuilt and jetted for pod filters and I’ll need to run some lines for the crankcase breather holes. I’ll probably rebuild the forks, replace the rear shocks, pull the H box and get some shorter exhaust pipes. And a new wiring harness or rebuilding the current one, the plastic connectors are brittle and crumbling from sitting in the sun. Frame has a little bit of rust but not bad, wire brush + some gloss black rustoleum will clean it up. Planning on grabbing a cheapo Chinese digital speedometer and throwing some cafe style bars on, and I need to get some new brake lines, and a reservoir. I’ll stick with the disc + drum.

I think I’ll make a build thread at this point. Let me know if I’ve made any glaring omissions but I think I’ve got a pretty solid roadmap ahead

1 - 3 of 3 Posts