Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there

Getting ready to do a triple bypass on my Custom, question is I have just received a new ignitech transistorised ignition, and reading the posts on here it seems like the problems with the stator are usually the supply to the CDI and these will now be obsolete

So would you change the Stator ? - and would this one fit a custom, it just says A B ?

My link

regards

·
Super Moderator
23,713 Posts
That's the right stator for a CDI bike but if you have an ignitec you can buy the cheaper, higher output G8. [250W instead of 170]

If you've got the money spare I'd replace the stator while I was in there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK seems like a very good idea to fit a new Stator, np, now I just need to find where I can get one this side of the pond.

Found this, but its 10mm deeper and worried it might not fit.

My link

and am unsure of whether the GL one will fit as well

My link

any more help would be greatly appreciated,

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
OK seems like a very good idea to fit a new Stator, np, now I just need to find where I can get one this side of the pond.

Found this, but its 10mm deeper and worried it might not fit.

My link

and am unsure of whether the GL one will fit as well

My link

any more help would be greatly appreciated,
you have the Ignitech, you might want to put that with your bike model so we know that. You can and should go with the GL stator, as stated it's more powerful, and cheaper.

I had a response written up before I went and looked at your signature, didn't see your bike year, then saw in your post you said you have an ignitech, so I had to completely change my response... Might want to put the year and the ignitech so we know off hand, makes this much easier...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To clarify, I do have an ignitech ignition system, but its sat in a box with the other new stuff waiting to be fitted to the bike.

Im sorry if I wasted your time writing up a response, that was not my intention, I am simply looking for advice whether or not the GL unit will fit my bike, I have also added my bike year to my signature line (it was already in my profile), and you can be sure I will add ignitech to it when it is actually fitted.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Just a quick question Dickie, are you sure your bike has CDI ? I have an 82 custom and they came with TI ignition. If you have a TI ignition then the ignitech wont work (from what i gather, never had a CDI bike). You can tell by what you find under the seat. A TI bike will have two modules (mine are silver) under the seat, and the small pulser case section at the rear of the engine will be larger than a CDI engine (which i think the pulser case is "flatish")

Hope that helps a bit and doesnt confuse things

As for the Stator, I believe the same stator (G8) fits CX's and GL's (also, from what I have seen, its the same stator in my GL1000, will know soon when i open it up)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
To clarify, I do have an ignitech ignition system, but its sat in a box with the other new stuff waiting to be fitted to the bike.

Im sorry if I wasted your time writing up a response, that was not my intention, I am simply looking for advice whether or not the GL unit will fit my bike, I have also added my bike year to my signature line (it was already in my profile), and you can be sure I will add ignitech to it when it is actually fitted.
Dick,your bike is a uk 82.you have a TI ignition.the stator only charges the battery....nothing else.
so you dont need a replacement for the cdi

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, its an 82 registered model, but it has a CDI unit, Single black box blue and white wire feeds from stator etc. Suspect it was registered late, im not sure. Was and am having problems with the CDI unit, and swapped it with my other 1980 CX550A CDI and runs well on that one so thought i would go the ignitec route.

Will grab a GL unit from David Silver.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry typo. meant CX500A

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks for the replies, its an 82 registered model, but it has a CDI unit, Single black box blue and white wire feeds from stator etc. Suspect it was registered late, im not sure. Was and am having problems with the CDI unit, and swapped it with my other 1980 CX550A CDI and runs well on that one so thought i would go the ignitec route.

Will grab a GL unit from David Silver.
ah,then it was registered late,but,as i explained to Allan[in a previous thread],it can happen easily in the uk.

Dick,it might pay you to include that info into your signiture line,,,,,or,it will be asked again

just hold fire for a moment,now the guys know the bike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.