Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts
Awesome write up, loved all the great pics and explanations.

Um... This is for the Turbo's petcock which is completely different from your GL500's petcock. Also, while rebuild kits for the GL petcock's vacuum part is available (which the Turbo doesn't have), the main seal is not available and none have been found that work satisfactorily (believe me - I tried several myself). That is why most of us just replace the entire petcock with a non-vacuum type that are available on eBay for under $15 CAD.

I have a non-vacuum petcock with a separate vacuum valve, total cost under $10CAD....

Maybe we should stop hijacking this thread about petcocks for Turbos now.....

DYI: Fuel Petcock Rebuild - w/pictures

This is an excellent write up. I bought an 82 last year and it looks like they tried to do attempt the rebuild without success. When I shut the fuel off, the valve leaks gasoline.

First Question: Reading your write-up, I would bet that they didn't soak the petcock in gasoline so the gasket didn't swell up. Does that sound like it would create this problem? If so, could I simply soak it now or do I need to start over with the rebuild?

Second Question: Does anybody know of a replacement fuel strainer that works? I think mine has seen better days and would prefer to replace it while I have the petcock out.

Thanks in advance for any help y'all can give.
This is an excellent write up. I bought an 82 last year and it looks like they tried to do attempt the rebuild without success. When I shut the fuel off, the valve leaks gasoline.

First Question: Reading your write-up, I would bet that they didn't soak the petcock in gasoline so the gasket didn't swell up. Does that sound like it would create this problem? If so, could I simply soak it now or do I need to start over with the rebuild?

Second Question: Does anybody know of a replacement fuel strainer that works? I think mine has seen better days and would prefer to replace it while I have the petcock out.

All turbo bikes require 2 ports. The second is the fuel return that actually sends fuel back up the middle of the filter sock during the pressure regulator constant cycle keeping us around 36 psi/increases as vacuum lowers. One reader had a previous suggestion to use a standard petcock on the left, and use the unused port on the RH tank as the return. Yes, our bikes come with 2 tank outlets. Honda never used the RH side. No reason this could not work. Be careful removing that old tank plug - it may not want to be removed easily.
If using this method, would the return side need a inline check valve ? Can't imagine it would, but just thinking it through.

There are all kinds of after market inline fuel filters you can use.
Try to find something for a big enough engine application so as not to restrict fuel flow to the pump.
Because of the configuration of the original filter you might have to re-rout fuel lines a bit because almost everything out there is going to be a straight through, in one side out the other rather than the original 90 degree configuration.

I was hunting around and found something that would probably work very well as a fuel filter on the turbo bikes.
Line Font Cylinder Automotive exhaust Gas

Great article and well documented. My CX650 turbo peacock is leaking! Would anyone kn ow if the Peacock on the CX650 turbo is the same as the Cx500 Turbo??? Thanks
Yes, the r the same. But rebuild yours per these instructions

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.