Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, bringing this forward from the old forum: 12 days and counting since I placed my order, and paid $40.00 shipping for a $17, small and lightweight part. No reply to my email requesting confirmation/explanation of my shipping costs.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Well, bringing this forward from the old forum: 12 days and counting since I placed my order, and paid $40.00 shipping for a $17, small and lightweight part. No reply to my email requesting confirmation/explanation of my shipping costs.
So strange.

Shipping has never been an issue for me when I used them.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,031 Posts
So strange.

Shipping has never been an issue for me when I used them.
Just got off the phone with John.

He says package left 7/28. The shipping dept can try to track if you need it.

Shipping rate is a flat priority mail rate for anywhere in he world for a 1 lb package or greater.

He said that he will try to email you shortly (a few hours) and respond directly. He said that priority mail is the only way to track international shipping. I don't know if you or they specified the priorit mail.

I agree that it seems high and wonder if they didnt' get next day or 3 day delivery rates mixed up with 'priority mail'

Again, I'm wondering if the canookian guys might try to get hooked up with a group discount from up there to save international shipping rates and delays crossing customs.

Feeling for you Abe.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Just got off the phone with John.

He says package left 7/28. The shipping dept can try to track if you need it.

Shipping rate is a flat priority mail rate for anywhere in he world for a 1 lb package or greater.

He said that he will try to email you shortly (a few hours) and respond directly. He said that priority mail is the only way to track international shipping. I don't know if you or they specified the priorit mail.

I agree that it seems high and wonder if they didnt' get next day or 3 day delivery rates mixed up with 'priority mail'

Again, I'm wondering if the canookian guys might try to get hooked up with a group discount from up there to save international shipping rates and delays crossing customs.

Feeling for you Abe.

If it's untrackable, then they spent $10, tops, on shipping, if they shipped priority small package there is no tracking but it's only around $10 too. What they charged Abes is a total ripoff if there's no tracking.

Abes, if you used plastic, I'd cancel the order or at least dispute it, at least the shipping charges if you don't get any satisfaction from them on this soon.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,031 Posts
If it's untrackable, then they spent $10, tops, on shipping, if they shipped priority small package there is no tracking but it's only around $10 too. What they charged Abes is a total ripoff if there's no tracking.

Abes, if you used plastic, I'd cancel the order or at least dispute it, at least the shipping charges if you don't get any satisfaction from them on this soon.

He said that it is trackable. Again, it was supposedly a flat rate for priority international shippig anywhere in the world for $39.95....

Thus, either John misunderstood the shipping trackability or reason for the high rate, or Cobram does or John was flat out lying to cover his shipping depts butt.

Anyone else from Canada have any experiences from them.?

I guess it's best to ask shipping rates and options before ordering.

I ordered $100 plus for the cam seal/mechanical seal (etc) and got a shipping rate of $13.95.

Can't ship much for under $10 these days. Boxes and supplies cost something. Labor, computer terminals, etc...etc..

He was easily reachable for me...thus he should be for you also.

Western honda was also willing to offer a group discount but desired to be the exclusive discounter to maximise the discount that they would be able to offer. Plus, they would not specify what the disount would be, but offered somewhere between 5 and 10% and more. But their orignal prices online at that time were slightly higher than discount honda's. Plus, I had just the procured the discount from DiscountHonda. For orders over $175 western Honda offers free shipping. But that is about the same then as with Discount honda's additional discount.

Discount Honda's shipping rates:

We ship all domestic packages Fedex Ground.

International shipments are sent U.S. Post Office Priority Mail. Additional shipping charges will be added if necessary.

Shipping Costs

$0-$100.00 = $11.95

$100.01-$150.00 = $13.95

$150.01-$200.00 = $16.95

$200.01-$300.00 = $18.95

$300.01-$400.00 = $21.95

$400.01-$500.00 = $23.95

$500.01-$1000.00 = $32.00

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
I had posted info about shipping on the previous board.

Basically, shipper should be able to supply a tracking number for the package which will show it's exact location in the system if he sent it Priority with tracking. If this was the case, then the shipping is reasonable because that's about what it would cost to Canada. You have to step up to expen$ive service or no tracking, no insurance.

If it was sent via other means, such as small package priority, then it has a tracking number, per se, but when you punch in the tracking number at the Postal Site, all you'll get is that the Post Office was notified of the shipment and no further info. No insurance and if it doesn't show up, you're SOL.

Having sent a few packages to Canada not too long ago, sometimes you'll hit the Canadian Customs lottery, if they decide to inspect your package, they can hold it up to a month.

·
Registered
762 Posts
For the sake of anyone who didn't figure it out already, Abes is in Canada. How 'bout adding your location to your profile when you have the time/figure it out guys?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, see below snapshot of USPS Flat Rate rates for US to Canada

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,031 Posts
For the sake of anyone who didn't figure it out already, Abes is in Canada. How 'bout adding your location to your profile when you have the time/figure it out guys?

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, see below snapshot of USPS Flat Rate rates for US to Canada

I expect Abe could use that chart for ammunition.

Keep us updated.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Yep, $11.45, priority mail, and I do have a tracking #.

The package was received by the USPS on July 29, 4:30 pm. Last note was it hit Customs Sunday.

Hi Darren.

The shipping charges to any country is a flat rate 39.95 for parts orders under 100.00. We only use Priority Mail International. Your order eas shipped on 7/29 and according to the Post Office will take between 6 and 10 business days.

Thanks,

John

Thanks for the reply John.

My first concern is my order was placed on the (early early morning of) 23RD. I received an email from you that it would ship on the 26th, and then in fact it didn't ship until the 29th, at the very end of the day. So I paid 400% of what the USPS charges you, and waited an entire business week for it to leave your store.

I figured I'd be getting overnight service for that price, so went ahead with my order from you, on recommendation of folks on the ChopperCharles.com board. Instead I paid twice what I would have paid from my local brick and mortar Honda store and waited twice as long for it to arrive.

Darren

I mispoke: 3 times as long for it to arrive.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had a insured package shipped to me via USPO and it was stolen from my rural mail box. The post office said the package was scanned and delivered to my mailbox and refused the insurance payment. They said that they don’t have to get a signature or deliver to the house unless the item is insured for over $200.00. I even ask shippers to include instructions on the label to bring the package to the house.

My farm is on the edge of a changing neighborhood and this is not the first time I have had problems with the mail. Sometimes I find it scattered all over the ground. I appealed and sent pictures of my mailbox with the damage caused by neighbor kids. I also sent pictures of the mailbox with the school across the street in the back ground and also with the road to my house in the background proving that I cannot see the mailbox from the house. The post office – after a 3-month delay – finally paid a $65.00 claim for a stolen palm pilot I purchased from Ebay. BillRod

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have little fear in it arriving eventually. Just a little PO'd at DHP.com, and myself frankly for not just going to the local store and ordering it.

They don't tell you until after you order it what the shipping method will be. They do say "additional charge" for "overseas" orders, but they are probably the first company I have ever ordered from that considers Canada "overseas".

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been burned by shipping costs from the States before, so I always email for a shipping quote first. I have even ordered from Britain, and got it cheaper and faster than from the states.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have even ordered from Britain, and got it cheaper and faster than from the states.
Yes, I have ordered from across the pond and received things quicker than I would have received them had I ordered from Bike Bandit in CA.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Yep, $11.45, priority mail, and I do have a tracking #.

The package was received by the USPS on July 29, 4:30 pm. Last note was it hit Customs Sunday.

If you have active tracking, then it was not sent via the cheaper methods, as I said before, there is no tracking or insurance for the cheaper methods, so it didn't cost $11.45.

Cheapest available with tracking is U$21.00 for International Priority, or U$26.95 for Priority Medium Flat Rate Box to Canada. Could have gone express mail for the same price on something as small as the cable.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
[quote name='wildmanwill' date='03 August 2010 - 07:56 PM' timestamp='1280887012' post='578']

Yes, I have ordered from across the pond and received things quicker than I would have received them had I ordered from Bike Bandit in CA.

[/quote

Ah yes Bike Bandit, shipping via snail.

Waited 3 weeks for an item.

11 days from Ireland for carbtune, not too bad.

But us folks up here in Canada, are sometimes screwed into Intl. shiiping charges and waiting for Customs, add brokerage fees, and it can get pricey.

TIPS

1) Ensure package is labeled motorcycle accesories, to ease or eliminate brokerage fees.

2) Stay away from USPS......s..l..o...w... to Canada

3) Inquire if part is in stock....had to wait 3 weeks for a part to go from a warehouse in California to headquarters in

Colorado to be then shipped to me!

·
Registered
835 Posts
There is another consideration with UPS shipping. The cost of shipping may only be $26.95 but UPS has a habit of charging a "Brokerage fee" that is not listed on the shipping estimate. If this was included in their cost, they will have likely added it to your charges. When ordering things from 'overseas' (ie - the United States) I always specify USPS (United States POSTAL Service) ONLY. At least that way, it's hit and miss. Sometimes Canada Customs will stop the package, inspect it, and apply applicable taxes before delivery - but for the most part, I've been hit with that in only about 5% of my shipment by regular US post. If my choice is from one seller by UPS or another that might cost more for the product, but they will do the POST shipping, I always avoid UPS at all cost. Hope this helps.

As for the Rural mail that was stolen, I was told by the Post Office that there is 'organized crime' that follows postal delivery trucks. If they see a parcel delivered that wasn't signed for - even to a door, where it may have been left between the doors, it may end up being stolen. That happened to me on a Vetter Windshield I had ordered. I even talked with the actual delivery truck driver - who insisted that he left it between the doors.... he remembered it specifically - described the size, weight etc... And I had no recorse, because "no signature required' - The only time I've ever been burned on an Ebay purchase.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
A lot of things have changed in international shipping since I used to sell on eBay years ago. It's not only more expensive, it's downright expensive if you actually expect to send anything with tracking capabilities.

If you need it tracked I wouldn't use the postal service unless you're willing to pay big for it. If you're sending from the U.S. to another country don't use UPS or their private customs racket will burn you big time. DHL and FedEx seem to be the best solution in many international cases.

Gone are the days when I could send a couple of lbs to Australia for about $10 via USPS Airmail Letter Post. The "Letter" part was deceiving, it was good for small packages up to 4 lbs.

For good free advice nothing beats the experts, I learned a lot from the Shipping forum on eBay. They have their own forum system but I think you've got to create a separate login to post in it.

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,031 Posts
A lot of things have changed in international shipping since I used to sell on eBay years ago. It's not only more expensive, it's downright expensive if you actually expect to send anything with tracking capabilities.

If you need it tracked I wouldn't use the postal service unless you're willing to pay big for it. If you're sending from the U.S. to another country don't use UPS or their private customs racket will burn you big time. DHL and FedEx seem to be the best solution in many international cases.

Gone are the days when I could send a couple of lbs to Australia for about $10 via USPS Airmail Letter Post. The "Letter" part was deceiving, it was good for small packages up to 4 lbs.

For good free advice nothing beats the experts, I learned a lot from the Shipping forum on eBay. They have their own forum system but I think you've got to create a separate login to post in it.

Well, it seems that this experience may show that it isn't cost effective to order from Discount Honda to Canada. I do not know what other U.S. online stores international rates may be. It seems likely that through expereince, they have decided to make the shipping rates high enough to take care of problems associated with shipping outside the U.S. It seems also that they would rather sell in larger volume internationally or are content selling primarily to U.S. customers.

Again, I would think that it would be prudent for one of the canadian guys to contact various online honda dealerships to try to procure a group discount.

In defense of Discount Honda, you did know the shipping rate before confiming the order, and I guess I would think that they gave you no real reason to think that it was next day delivery except for the high rate. It sounds like the shipping rate was acceptable to you for next day. I wonder what next day delivery would have actually cost.

Maybe someone from Canada wants to do a trial order from Western Honda or Cernics or other to check their international shipping rates.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I order through the mail I always ask for the tracking number be Emailed to me so that I can track it myself. It removes the trust someone factor.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.