Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a fight to get back here, but it sang a tune for me again today. While running I thought I would check the oil. Ever forget to shut the water off before doing a plumbing repair in the house? This felt just like that! The oil dip stick shot out of the hole! Can this kind of pressure be due to a head gasket failure? It has 15-40w oil in it at the moment. Some of which can be found on the spark plugs
Please tell me all I need is some head gaskets

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
did it shoot out on the intake or exhaust stroke?

i'd have to examine your head before recommending a new one....

Sorry Nate

Just tell us You turned it off before it pumped hot oil all over you.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Oh OK..............

The dipstick is near the bottom of the pistons so blowback out of

the dipstick hole is to be expected when the engine is running.

I very much doubt its a result of head gasket failure.

Oil on the plugs on the other hand is usually due to worn piston rings, valve guides

or contaminated fuel

Oil getting in the combustion chamber is often apparent by blue smoke and the exhaust

smelling of oil.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Nate... Sorry to be sarcastic, but a setup like that, I cannot ignore or resist.
We all say and ask Silly stuff... the only really "Stupid" Questions are the ones not asked...

as far as Answers... no guarantees here. I can be as Silly and Stupid as they come.

I give you a ten for trying... Maybe an eleven for trying TOO hard sometimes. No one was born with any of this stuff in their head. I would suggest taking some time to read the basics like the electrics page link I posted. It will come to you if you are patient... not always easy tho.

Don't take yourself too seriously... Enjoy all this. You have jumped to some "Dire" conclusions in previous threads as well as this one. A Blown headgasket will water your oil and does not happen from opening the case while the motor is running. If you want to check the timing on this motor and don't have a window inspection cap. You have to run it "open" ( cap off ). Some members of the forum will also assume the worst first and I can only suggest doing the trouble shoot procedure for various issues as Honda Recommends in the Shop Manual.

I'll bet your plugs are not oiled... but are just wet from running rich. This will look like oil as it's black and shiny... Instead of speculation or guesswork, a simple compression test is the start for diagnosing this.

(or just smell them)

An electrical problem that "Fixes" itself is called an "intermittent" these can be "Mechanical" as in a contact vibrating loose, but still touching occasionally, Or Thermal, in that they come and go with temp variances in various components (resistors, transistors, diodes etc...) or connectors just getting hot.

Taker Easy
jeff

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Ever pull apart the solenoid? The starter wire bolt has a little play in it.

Nate... Why o Why, pull apart the solenoid if the bike starts ?

Does this loose connector or bolt just send electricity from the starter relay, to the solenoid, to the starter motor.

does the starter motor keep running after the engine starts?

If you cannot answer these questions, then do not screw with it ... as it ain't broke.

why not just tighten it up...

as recommended in any motor ? manual, periodically check all bolt tightness and re-tourqe to spec.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
The only motor I've heard of that you can check the oil with the motor running, is a caterpiller diesel.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel as if I have some explaining to do. I'll take one thing at a time. The set up was intentional to invoke a little fun. Although I was serious about the air pressure. It surprised me and I wanted to know if this was normal or if it raised any eyebrows. Not sure if I ever checked the oil while running before. EDIT: For colour because I know a gasket is bad. Not for level

"A Blown head-gasket will water your oil and does not happen from opening the case while the motor is running." I think you were referring to the inspection cover nolavox. Burning coolant looks white from the end of the tail pipe. I have not run the engine long enough to mix the coolant and oil together to make grey mess throughout the motor. When I replaced the head gaskets last year, I torqued them down, thought I forgot the new o-rings, took the heads back off, and the gaskets suffered a little so I added a little RTV. Stupid I know, I admit. Moving on.

I smelled my plugs and wiped the oil off on a new white paper towel. The plugs are a day old, no miles. I would love to be wrong on this and mistake oil for a rich condition. Isn't gas oil anyway? Dumb joke.

And last but not least, the solenoid. Lent my camera to a friend on the wrong day today. Ok, long story short, jump starting the bike (no the car wasnt running) and the starter wouldnt go. With the jumper cables connected I grabbed the starter cable end that bolts onto the solenoid and didnt think I even moved it, but it came to life. The bolt had been stripped and I noticed it could turn inside the housing about a quarter of a turn. I dont know what it looks like in there, but if it is anything like the relationship with the starter and its connecting bolt, you dont want that to turn. That is why I asked.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats good news.

But

Electrical problems that fix themselves are usually bad contact

issues.

So

keep an eye on it in case it re-occurs

When I said it fixed itself, I was making a small joke. I wanted to touch on it just a little because Reg, you were of SO much help in other threads/ posts, but I didn't want to get off track. So I didn't elaborate

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
was checking for colour not level. But I thank you for your thoughts!

Color doesn't matter. If you do and oil change and put fresh oil in you can come back after a few hundred miles and have dark oil. Just means it's working.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I feel as if I have some explaining to do. I'll take one thing at a time. The set up was intentional to invoke a little fun. Although I was serious about the air pressure. It surprised me and I wanted to know if this was normal or if it raised any eyebrows. Not sure if I ever checked the oil while running before. EDIT: For colour because I know a gasket is bad. Not for level

"A Blown head-gasket will water your oil and does not happen from opening the case while the motor is running." I think you were referring to the inspection cover nolavox. Burning coolant looks white from the end of the tail pipe. I have not run the engine long enough to mix the coolant and oil together to make grey mess throughout the motor. When I replaced the head gaskets last year, I torqued them down, thought I forgot the new o-rings, took the heads back off, and the gaskets suffered a little so I added a little RTV. Stupid I know, I admit. Moving on.

I smelled my plugs and wiped the oil off on a new white paper towel. The plugs are a day old, no miles. I would love to be wrong on this and mistake oil for a rich condition. Isn't gas oil anyway? Dumb joke.

And last but not least, the solenoid. Lent my camera to a friend on the wrong day today. Ok, long story short, jump starting the bike (no the car wasnt running) and the starter wouldnt go. With the jumper cables connected I grabbed the starter cable end that bolts onto the solenoid and didnt think I even moved it, but it came to life. The bolt had been stripped and I noticed it could turn inside the housing about a quarter of a turn. I dont know what it looks like in there, but if it is anything like the relationship with the starter and its connecting bolt, you dont want that to turn. That is why I asked.

I feel "Had
"

Yep... I was referring to the inspection cover. You could probably run this motor with the dipstick, inspection cover and one spark plug removed. It still would not blow a head gasket nor do much other than dirty up your shop etc. I'm still surprised that it did not send an oil slick all over the Dawgs. with the dipstik out.

Again... why not just do a compression check ? this will at least confirm that something's amiss for real. If the gasket is just slightly compromised... you might be steaming off any water through the exhaust. Something about that oiled plug tells me it's not just the gasket. Is it both or just one plug that is oiled? Is compression way different on both sides?
Can you do a "leakdown" compression test...? this will give you a good shot at either hearing the problem or seeing bubbles come up in your coolant. Maybe both.

one way or another, be it a blow by condition caused by rings, valves, cyl walls etc. or a bad headgasket... either will lead to catastrophic failure.
About 10 seconds of running watered oil at high speed in the lower end ain't good. Just a little bit of water in the combustion chamber might bend a valve, break a rod or wrist pin real fast as water does not compress... results either way = blown motor sooner than later.

I would not be running the motor till it is fixed... either way.

That's interesting about the solenoid being loose internally. I can tell you a few stories of numerous alternator rebuilds / Battery changes in which the charging post on the back of the alternator has been left loose or broken internally on the alternator.

a long time ago, I twisted one (broke it inside) being too lazy to get two wrenches and not stopping the "stop" nut before twisting the stud. I tried to use it like that and got to work in reverse to fix it ( my real pet peeve is useless work to get back to where I started so I can do it right...again) I've learned from my own mistake on that one, that it sometimes (many times) is just the connection and not the component. Amazing how many times I,ve seen the same little red charging wire with it's crusty burnt lug re-used and creating ongoing charging issues. This is where a meter can save a lot of headache and guesswork. But you will have to learn the "jiggle" technique...

I just don't want you to have the "most fixed bike ever" for no good reason

·
Registered
810 Posts
Have you checked your engine breather tube Nate? Maybe it's pinched allowing excess pressure.

To quote from one of my favorite movies---'you'll shoot your eye out kid'.. LOL

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.