Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have an 82 GL500 that has me stumped. I was hoping someone smarter than me can give me a hand. I am simply trying to get the electrical system fired up so I can see if the bike will start. I have checked the battery, it's at 12.7V. I have replaced the main fuse with the ATC type. Unfortunately I do not have the original key but I hooked up a wire from the battery to the fuse box. I have one of those light testers and the fuse box is definitely getting power and so are both sides of the main fuse. I checked the ground wire under the seat, looks good. The bike is dead as can be. No lights, no gauges, nothing. I'm not sure what my next step is. I downloaded the service manual but it wasn't much help. Maybe I should pull the tank and look at the ground wire at the coils? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
11,464 Posts
Welcome to the forum of choice for these twisted twins. Take a moment to update your profile to show us where in the world you are, and list your bike in your signature.

Since you just joined, also check the General Discussion section for the Quick Reference thread, there is a plethora of important info there, and you might even find a section regarding electrics. Since you have a manual, you have a better head start.

I'm sure many other things will come along, but take this methodically and you will get it going again. You will have a ton of folks here chiming in soon, so just remember.............

THERE ARE NO DUMB QUESTIONS .........

Let us know what else you have done, the mileage of the bike, any history....etc.

Again, welcome to the fold.

Joel in the Couve

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
What happens if you hotwire the bike as shown here?

The ground that may cause this problem is not the one under the seat for the GL500. It is the one in front of the ignition coils under the fuel tank. See here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Joel for the warm welcome. From what I have seen, this site has lots of friendly people with tons of good advice. I am truly grateful for the resources it provides.

Dave, that's exactly where I got the idea to hot wire the bike. Didn't seem to work for me. I will pull the tank tomorrow and have a look at that ground wire. I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to do that
I'll let you know what I find.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show your bike's year and model.

Hopefully the ground is the problem. If not, it should not be difficult to track it down. We can walk you through it.

The hotwire test has already eliminated most of the potential culprits.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome!

How's the main ground connection at the starter?

And are you using the ignition (key) switch for this or are you hotwiring it? I know you said you didn't have a key but if you get real creative I'm sure you could get around that. I only ask because if you are using the key switch you could be dealing with dirty or broken contacts inside the switch. I had this happen with my old sportster (funny, that),; I was able to get the switch apart and repair it. I didn't have a key either and while I had it apart I measured all the pins and made a key out of appropriately sized strips of brass soldered together. But I was unemployed then and had a lot of time on my hands.

And, of course, if you're hotwiring it, you might just not quite have it right. No offense, it's more than easy enough to get lost in the wiring.

Keep us informed hey?

Edit: I really really have to start typing (or thinking) faster. I just got passed by like 3 forumers while I was typing that.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks Joel for the warm welcome. From what I have seen, this site has lots of friendly people with tons of good advice. I am truly grateful for the resources it provides.

Dave, that's exactly where I got the idea to hot wire the bike. Didn't seem to work for me. I will pull the tank tomorrow and have a look at that ground wire. I was kinda hoping I wouldn't have to do that
I'll let you know what I find.

Pulling the tank is pretty easy on the GL. You first remove the front seat: there is one bolt on each side. There are three rubber tubes underneath the tank that you will need to disconnect. If you are smart, you'll label these so that they go back on the right places: one is to the vacuum diaphragm in the petcock, one is the fuel from the fuel filter (and tank) to the petcock, and the last one is for air (I think). They're supposed to be different diameter hoses so you can't screw up the reconnect but who knows on yours... it's 28 years old. Close the petcock and disconnect the three tubes.

Finally, there is one bolt on the very back of the tank where it tucks into the seat. Remove it and you're done. Set the tank down somewhere where it can't accidentally be knocked off or you will be required to slit your wrists.

It took me more time to write about it than it takes me to do it. Be gentle when you tighten those bolts again: firm but no more.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Is this motorcycle new to you? How long has it sat not running?

A quickie way to just spin the motor to see if it's free is to hook up jumper cables. Select a good frame ground with the negative cable. Make sure the jumper cable jaws get good clean metal. File the metal until shiny at the connection point to make sure. Then touch the positive cable to the bolt on the side of the starter. Starter should immediately crank the motor. This method won't start the bike but it will tell you whether of not the motor is frozen and whether or not the starter is good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts