1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
The $9.00, shipping included, digital voltage gauge arrived from Hong Kong after 17 days in transit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mini-Red-LED-Vo...784?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a05538010

Question - the exposed circuitry on the back looks vulnerable and would probably be best covered. Is there some type of goop I could smear on it or should I make or try to buy a cover of some sort?

Dave,thats unbelievable,all that exposed.iv never seen anything like it.

without a doubt i would make some sort of plastic cover

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Check out the enclosure boxes from Mouser. These are available in many sizes and are reasonably priced.

Look at their potting boxes in particular. One potting method that has worked well for me is low temperature hot melt glue used with one of these boxes.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I got one of those and one of the digital ammeters. My plan is to make an enclosure out of aluminum extrusion and put the gauges behind a piece of plexiglass with an o-ring gasket to seal against the extrusion.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link and ideas guys, even yours Linny. (I think I could do something with that though
) Somehow I knew that $9.00 was too little for a ready to go digital voltage meter.

"potting", my new word of the day, thanks DaveF. http://www.pottingsolutions.com/ suggests the materials in my shop, epoxy and polyester resins, because of expansion/contraction problems and silicone because of its acidic properties are not suitable. Too bad. Off to read about low temp glues..

·
Registered
161 Posts
So square aluminum extrusion would require ordering from Speedy Metals or similar, so I think I'll try this junction box out. Still need to sort out a waterproof plexiglass front cover.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,052 Posts
I bought the same meter last fall, and mounted it in the smallest enclosure I could find at Radio Shack. It's not on the bike yet.

At 3x2x1", it's pretty clunky. The meter will easily fit in one 2x1x3/4". I'll take a look at the Mouser link.

Thanks,

R

1 - 8 of 8 Posts