Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm about to start cleaning my carbs (but for some reason have not been able to find any carb cleaner solution) and decided to change my oil just make sure it was good to go.

I had changed my oil earlier this year but couldn't find a filter for it so just changed the oil and not the filter. I forget the exact oil I used but it was a dark colour.

When I changed it this time I tried to follow everything exactly to the book.

I first started the engine and let it run for a bit. It was running fine and idling around 900-1000rpm. With choke up it was running around 3500.

I drained the oil and let it drain for about 40min (book says 20min but I decided to be safe and let it drain completely).

Changed the oil filter and cleaned the oil filter parts with this cleaning solvent:

http://www.superkleendirect.com/superclean.aspx

Dried it thoroughly.

Torqued the oil filter bolt back to the specified amount.

I then used this oil:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...torcycle%2B-%2B%2BFour%2BStroke.jsp?locale=en

It looks very different than the oil I previously had in there. More light brownish colour. Put about 2.5 litres in and made sure it filled to the right height.

When I ran the engine though the rpms were much lower. With choke up it ran around 2000rpm and idling around 500rpm and it was struggling there. You could hear it turn slowly.

Did I do anything wrong here? Should I change it again?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
do not attemp to start your bike again.drain for an hour,new filter refill with cheap supermarket mineral oil,id do change it again after 100 miles.but,thats me

only joking ,that oil is fine.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Is your oil light going out? Is there any metal to metal sound while running the engine?

I didn't check out the links for the oil.......

It's been a while since I've changed oil and had to replaced a filter....so I can't post what could go wrong in that area. Is there oil spraying out any where (I hope not)?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Is your oil light going out? Is there any metal to metal sound while running the engine?

I didn't check out the links for the oil.......

It's been a while since I've changed oil and had to replaced a filter....so I can't post what could go wrong in that area. Is there oil spraying out any where (I hope not)?
dont even open the link Dan

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
castrol must be one of the longest running companies producing good quality product

was your spring and washer in place,alongside your filter?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Agree with the above posts, mine also slowed when I changed oil as its thinker and your engine will loove you for it. I know mine idles really low, but without a tach I have no idea what the value is.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If your bike can idle at 500rpm it is the sweetist running CX ever built!

A properly running CX can idle at 500 rpm,,if the carbs are tuned and synced correctly.

The idle should not be set that low though,,it should be approx. 1100 rpm.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
dont even open the link Dan

No...I didn't.....

Not every oil should be used. I wasn't going to be the judge if it was good or bad oil....not the point of my post. However, if it HAS oil that was my point.

I do like the post(s) about the oil being thicker and thus causing a bit more drag causing the slower idle.

Bandit....what was your opinion of the oil used? Was there an error in assembling the oil filter? EDIT::: now I see your oil thought....

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
No...I didn't.....

Not every oil should be used. I wasn't going to be the judge if it was good or bad oil....not the point of my post. However, if it HAS oil that was my point.

I do like the post(s) about the oil being thicker and thus causing a bit more drag causing the slower idle.

Bandit....what was your opinion of the oil used? Was there an error in assembling the oil filter?
hey Dan,i think the oil is outstanding,just sooooo expensive here.

as far as assembly....its so easy to forget or loose...perhaps it wasnt there to start with.[spring/and or washer]

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
A properly running CX can idle at 500 rpm,,if the carbs are tuned and synced correctly.

The idle should not be set that low though,,it should be approx. 1100 rpm.

A CX will idle at +/- 50 RPM's while lying on it's side. BTDT, got the T-shirt. With a set of Larry carbs, you can crank the idle down to about 150 and it'll pumpy pump away all day. Too low an idle will screw up throttle response, as Allan says, 1100 is where it belongs.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
A CX will idle at +/- 50 RPM's while lying on it's side. BTDT, got the T-shirt. With a set of Larry carbs, you can crank the idle down to about 150 and it'll pumpy pump away all day. Too low an idle will screw up throttle response, as Allan says, 1100 is where it belongs.[/u]

or the oil pump will be inoperative

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to double check with the washer and spring for the oil filter.

From front of the bike to the rear it goes: Bolt -> filter cover -> washer - > spring -> fuel filter.

This correct?

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
or the oil pump will be inoperative

One of many reasons you should always use an oil with the full additive package. The zinc is there for just such oil starvation, it also comes in very handy for the rice rocket crowd when they do their wheelies. Besides, at 50 RPM the skim coat of oil is enough.

Just to double check with the washer and spring for the oil filter.

From front of the bike to the rear it goes: Bolt -> filter cover -> washer - > spring -> fuel filter.

This correct?

No, it's bolt - crush washer - filter housing - O-ring - Spring - Internal washer (on end of spring facing oil filter)-oil filter

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
hmmm.... maybe I did that way. Cant remember now. Thought I just put it back the way it came. but now Im having second thoughts.

Takes a few minutes and a clean container to check. FWIW, about 1/3 of the time I pull an oil filter cartridge for the first time, the previous lad replaced it incorrectly.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
hmmm.... maybe I did that way. Cant remember now. Thought I just put it back the way it came. but now Im having second thoughts.
dont worry TL.,forget about it for now,you have the spring between the housing and the filter,that will do for now.double check here next oil change

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could I not just open the oil casing and check? Collect the oil into a container and then put it back in?

Should I heat the engine if I do this?

I hate the thought of my bike having a fault with it. Even if its not a big one.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Could I not just open the oil casing and check? Collect the oil into a container and then put it back in?

Should I heat the engine if I do this?

I hate the thought of my bike having a fault with it. Even if its not a big one.
yes

yes

i understand

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.