Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how many of you remember my dad, Richard Smith, known here as DickInRaleigh. He was the reason I created this CX500 forum more than 15 years ago. My dad and my dad's brother, my Uncle Jim, were both big driving forces behind my love for cars, motorcycles, and all things mechanical. My Dad gave me a love for motorcycles. My uncle, the love for FAST motorcycles. My dad for the love of cars. My uncle Jim, the love of FAST cars. He drag raced an Supercharged AMC gremlin with a 750hp AMC motor back in the 70s and 80s. (not some drop-in chevy motor), and owned the fastest bikes. From H1 to V-Max, he was all about going fast. In his early 30s he was diagnosed with MS, and that ended his racing career. He lived another 30 years, the last few of which where he could not even get out of bed and onto his powered wheelchair without a winch and pulley system and a full-time nurse to operate it.

Even in his poor health, he loved going fast. He souped-up his electric wheelchair with BIG deep cycle batteries and bypassed the speed controller, giving him roughly a 25mph top speed.

In the last year the MS had been taking its toll on him. He was less and less able to do things for himself, and recently he was riddled with major cognitive issues. So yesterday when my aunt (his sister and full-time nurse) went out to run errands, he ran away from home, pointed his wheelchair at an open canal, and floored it. The Cape Coral, FL police found his body and his wheelchair in the waters of the canal today at noon.

My uncle Jim was a BIG influence in my life, a big influence in my love of motorcycles, and a big influence on my father (even though Jim was the younger brother). If not for his influence, I might not have even been into motorcycles, and this forum may never have existed. So, he's kind of an uncle to all of you, and you didn't even know it. Anyhow, I'm really regretting that I didn't call him on Thanksgiving this year. Now I'll never get that chance.

Not asking for prayers or condolences or anything. But if there's someone in your life you've been putting off calling, maybe go ahead and make that call today.

Charles.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I know you're not asking for condolences , but I'm sorry to hear the news and sorry that he was dealt that difficult hand.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
"I'm outta here!" And sail away. Sorry to hear of the loss, Charles.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
81 Gl500i 83 CX650E
1,900 Posts
Sounds like he was my kind of man,I owned an 80 Amx for 15 years. 750 horse Gremlin, now that would be fun. My father just passed away on Oct 29th this year so I share the pain, no matter what you say to yourself it still hurts inside when the ones you love move on, remember those great moments.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Heck - he went out on his terms . What can be better than that ?

Celebrate a life well lived.

Reactions: Treadlightly

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Charles, not matter what you say, I know there is pain involved with losing someone close to you. Take care of yourself and remember the good times. The loss gets easier with time. My condolences to you.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My condolences. He sounded like an awesome guy. Even souping up a wheelchair. That's just cool!

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think I speak for all the members of this forum in expressing my gratitude to your father for his inspiring you to create this community that we all enjoy so much. This forum is a wealth of information and comraderie rarely found. I, for one, would be lost without its technical assistance and the many great people I have had the honor of calling friend through this forum. Thank you Charles and your father.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I had met your dad, who can forget a man with a single cylinder GL500? I'm sure I would have liked his brother too. RIP

·
Premium Member
2021 Benelli Leoncino - 2017 CSC RX3 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - 1979 CX650 Street Scrambler
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I still have that motor in my garage. Not sure what to do with it...

Charles.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Charles and Dick, my condolences and sympathy for your loss. Murray is also dealing with the loss of his brother. It is a hard time of the year to go through this. I pray you will all have peace through this time of grief and loss.
David

1 - 14 of 14 Posts