Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, friends.
Excuse me, I use an online translator.

In 2012, I sold my GL650I, but my old friend Wild Russian decided to sell my GL650I. I could not resist and bought this motorcycle.
He began to serve him. The problem is in the rear shock absorber, it is in a compressed state. If the passenger is sitting in the back seat, the wheel wipes the rear wing. There are no pictures.
The air hose has been damaged. He took the shock absorber from the frame. After replacing the hose, I added air. But the shock absorber does not rise.

There were questions:
1. What is the distance between the upper and lower points of attachment of the shock absorber to the frame in working condition.
2. What should be the air pressure in the shock absorber?
3. How to change the oil in the shock absorber, which oil and how much to fill.
4. If the nun is stuck in a compressed state, how to fix it.

Answer forum not found. I hope for your help. Thank you in advance.

Here are photos of Wild Russian travel in 2018. https://cx500forum.com/forum/alaska-hawaii-riders/108163-2018-russia.html

Attachments

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
Translation via google

Hello, friends.
I’m just sorry, I use an online translator.

For 7 years I sold my GL650I, but my old friend Wild Russian decided to sell the GL650I, which went. I could not resist and bought this bike.
He began to serve him. There is a problem in monoshock. It is concise. If the passenger sits in the back seat, the wheel overwrites the rear wing. No pictures.
The air hose has been damaged. Removed the shock absorber from the frame. After replacing the hose, air was pumped. But the shock did not rise. There were some problems.
2018 year.
1. What is the distance between the upper and lower attachment points in the working buffer.
View attachment 191959

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hello, friends.
Excuse me, I use an online translator.

After replacing the hose, I added air. But the shock absorber does not rise.
Maybe it would not rise, just more pressure in shock, not sure. Check for leaks in hose and hose fill valve.

There were questions:
1. What is the distance between the upper and lower points of attachment of the shock absorber to the frame in working condition.
Cylinder Pipe Metal Auto part Gas

About 12 1/4 inches. This shock has 55 psi of air in it. PSI means Pounds per Square Inch
2. What should be the air pressure in the shock absorber?

ATF means Automatic Transmission Fluid

3. How to change the oil in the shock absorber, which oil and how much to fill.
How to change. See posts below and see this manual, chapter 14 at page 11.
https://motovillage.org/wiki/hondacxgl/images/4/43/1981_-_1983_Honda_GL500_GL650_Factory_Workshop_Manual_FSM_WSM.pdf
4. If the nun is stuck in a compressed state, how to fix it.
What is nun? Difficult, maybe impossible to fix. Most people would just find another one to replace it.
Note: The manual shock instructions are for the GL500 but are very similar to GL650.

Anything can happen, but judging from how difficult it is to compress the shock it is unlikely that it is stuck in compressed state.

mm

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,401 Posts
This is what I found when I rebuilt the shock on my GL500 in 2004 Rear monoshock leaking oil

I filled the shock for my CX650E exactly the same way and it worked so I believe the procedure for filling a GL650 shock should be the same.

A number of people on the forum have adapted shocks from other models to fit these bikes. If you get yours apart and find something that isn't repairable you should consider doing that.

·
Registered
883 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.