Honda CX 500 Forum banner
81 - 84 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,853 Posts
Minor damage can be scuffed off on a piece of 400 paper on the bench top, then anneal. Don't quench.
I normally flip over a crush washer when I reuse it.
Also, an odd thing about copper. Both quenching and slow cooling result in an annealed condition. Only work hardening (blows or compression) will harden copper.
As you say, annealing should be last, as sanding might harden the surface.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,039 Posts
I think you mean a film of coolant.

BTW: Seals of similar design are used in automotive water pumps and in water centrifugal pumps used in drinking water well systems too.

Re torque: they specify a range of torque values (in this case 6-9 ft-lb) and it is often assumed that the maximum value is the optimum but in fact it is not. The highest of the specified range is the maximum that should ever be applied under any conditions but the optimum is actually closer to the minimum value.
I generally set my torque wrench a bit below the middle of the range. In this case I would use the 1/4" drive wrench that is calibrated in inch pounds. 6-9 foot pounds = 72-108 inch pounds so I would set it at 85 inch pounds (= approx. 7 ft-lb).

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
10,853 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,039 Posts
I was typing my reply when you posted yours so I saw it right away & deleted part of what I was going to say because you already said it ;-)

BTW, the GL1000/1100/1200 water pump is usually replaced as a unit (as described in the FSM) consisting of a housing with a mechanical seal, 2 oil seals, the impeller and a shaft that engages with the oil pump. The mechanical seal is the same as the 28.3mm one used in the CX/GL500/650 water pump so when I had the "new" engine for my GoldWing apart before installing it I bought a seal and bearings and rebuilt a spare pump I had to install in it.

81 - 84 of 84 Posts