Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I foolishly sold my extra deluxe tank a couple years ago and I’m kicking myself. Have any of you used these?

it looks like it could possibly be a direct replacement but I’m skeptical. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
20,303 Posts
This tank is stated as 43 cm. long. CX standard and D tanks are 60 cm long. 65 including rear mount.

May be closer to the length of a C tank but the tunnel looks a little narrow if you look at it from the perspective of only being 75% the length.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
a tank capacity of 6 L wouldn't give a very good range!

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've seen 9L ones as well which is still only half the deluxe tank. I posted a WTB in the sales section, I really wish I hadn't sold my extra tank!

As a related question, my current tank is developing a couple spots of rust where the paint chipped. I want to repaint it but I'm wondering if I need to take it down to bare metal or if I can just sand and paint over the existing? I will be using 2K spraymax paint which is what is currently on it.

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Original paint that is well adhered makes a good foundation for painting over. Sand the rusted spots, feather the edges, etching primer on the spots then primer, lots of sanding, including scuff sanding of the tank then spray. Are you sure that the rust spots are from stone chips and not pinholes?

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another question I just thought of, back in the pre-covid day's I'd just go pick up some rubbing alcohol but now it's nearly impossible to find. What alternative can I use when sanding to clean the tank before painting?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts